Mercedes-Benz Vision S 500 Plug-in HYBRID Concept - Exclusive first details

Started by cawimmer430, September 09, 2009, 11:44:51 AM

cawimmer430

Mercedes-Benz Vision S 500 Plug-in HYBRID Concept - Exclusive first details

By Michael Gauthier
September 9, 2009 3:35 PM

Set to be officially unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show, the concept will feature a V6 petrol engine connected to an advanced lithium-ion battery that has a storage capacity of more than 10 kWh. This unique setup will allow the S-Class to travel up to 30km (18.6 miles) on electricity alone. When the battery is depleted, the 44 kW (60 hp) hybrid module will activate the petrol engine. While the specifics are still kind of murky, the car will rocket from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.5 seconds.

In terms of efficiency, the Vision S 500 plug-in hybrid will consume just 3.2L/100km (73.5 mpg) while emitting 74 grams of CO2/100km. This easily beats the Fisker Karma's estimated rating of 3.5L/100km (67.2 mpg) and 83 grams of CO2/km.

According to Dr. Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars, "The Vision S 500 HYBRID is a new milestone on our path toward zero-emission mobility. It is a luxurious and safe S-Class vehicle that offers superior driving performance while at the same time consuming less fuel than current compacts. All of this shows that our top models will also be able to combine automotive fascination with responsibility for the environment."

Look for more information to be released when the car officially debuts in Frankfurt.

Link: http://www.worldcarfans.com/109090921596/mercedes-benz-vision-s-500-plug-in-hybrid-concept--first
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

Three, four years ago the specs would have been impressive. But today an electric range of 30km is some what disappointing especially as a concept. Just like with the Chevy Volt the fuel economy rating is pointless. If you're commute in 30km or less the total energy consumption is going to be fabulous. Much more, and a standard S 320 CDI is going to perform better.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on September 09, 2009, 11:56:02 AM
Three, four years ago the specs would have been impressive. But today an electric range of 30km is some what disappointing especially as a concept. Just like with the Chevy Volt the fuel economy rating is pointless. If you're commute in 30km or less the total energy consumption is going to be fabulous. Much more, and a standard S 320 CDI is going to perform better.

Come on, an electric range of 30 km is perfectly acceptable for city driving purposes. When I am driving around Munich from store to store or printing shops, I don't even exceed a range of 15 km.

The only question is if this range can be maintained given the other systems that require electrical power like A/C for instance.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 09, 2009, 12:07:06 PM
Come on, an electric range of 30 km is perfectly acceptable for city driving purposes. When I am driving around Munich from store to store or printing shops, I don't even exceed a range of 15 km.

The only question is if this range can be maintained given the other systems that require electrical power like A/C for instance.

Agreed, plus once the battery has died and you're still doing everyday chores, you still have the CDI beat--it would take a lot of efficiency for the CDI to emit less pollutants in the overall trip (of everyday stuff...going to the grocery store, etc.).

What they should do is mate this battery stuff with the CDI, that would be unbeatable.

Submariner

Quote from: Galaxy on September 09, 2009, 11:56:02 AM

True, but remember, these figures are for a large, production luxury vehicle.  If this were in a purpose built compact (i.e. the Volt) the numbers would be less impressive. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

thewizard16

It's an interesting car, but the claim of moving toward zero emission mobility is a bit misleading as nothing that plugs into an electrical outlet is realistically zero emissions until the world is powered by water, wind, and light. Since the odds of that in the near future are virtually nil- it's always interesting to see emissions figures for the vehicle that include the coal emissions required to produce the electricity the car uses. At any rate, it's still a good idea and I like seeing it being applied to a large car.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Galaxy

Perhaps I was a bit harsh. What I remembered when I wrote my post was an article in Auto Motor und Sport about an electric version of the SLS that AMG plans to bring to market in 2012. Around the same power as the gasoline version with a may range of around 300kms. That seems like more of an achievement, even taking into account that the range will drop significantly if one keeps whipping the electric horses.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on September 10, 2009, 11:34:06 AM
Perhaps I was a bit harsh. What I remembered when I wrote my post was an article in Auto Motor und Sport about an electric version of the SLS that AMG plans to bring to market in 2012. Around the same power as the gasoline version with a may range of around 300kms. That seems like more of an achievement, even taking into account that the range will drop significantly if one keeps whipping the electric horses.

It seems that French and British travel an average distance of 20 and 10 km respectively when they get into their cars. If one can drive such a distance purely on electric power then that is a big plus.

I'm curious how Mercedes can claim that the fuel economy is under 4 liters at this point. The S-Class is a heavy car and with the hybrid setup it'll get heavier. The claimed fuel economy at this point is nothing short of amazing if it can be achieved, especially with the sports car acceleration values that are also claimed.

www.wimmerfotografie.de