After 3 blue Expeditions and 10 yrs, there's a Suburban in my driveway

Started by saxonyron, September 12, 2009, 09:33:07 PM

saxonyron

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 13, 2009, 12:47:34 PM
Those black Suburbans look awesome.  Nice pick.

Thanks!  I feel a little like Secret Service when I climb out of it.  :mask:

Quote from: J86 on September 13, 2009, 12:56:12 PM
Congrats, nice truck!  I'm jealous of your tow vehicle.

Quote from: J86 on September 13, 2009, 12:56:12 PM
Congrats, nice truck!  I'm jealous of your tow vehicle.

Thanks!  Unfortunately there's no sailboat left to tow.  :(  Just the nag trailer.  Haven't towed it yet, but I figure it'll be solid without a lot of tail wagging. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Rupert

Quote from: saxonyron on September 13, 2009, 06:50:45 PM
:lol:  No matter how you slice it, these things eat gas, but it's still better than driving 2 cars everywhere! The gas mileage so far is very close to the Expedition. Only 150 pounds more, plus basically the same engine.  I figure we'll average 14 - 15 mpg on this one too.  Besides, the gas tank is around 30 gallons - absolutely huge!  The Expedition was only 23 or so.  So I guess we'll be spending less time at the gas stations!  :rockon:

Just more time when you do go. 30 gallons take for-freaking-ever to fill! You'll be able to wash all the windows, vacuum the interior, get a snack, listen to some tunes, take a nap, post on the 'Spin, call home to say you'll be late...

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

saxonyron

Quote from: Catman on September 13, 2009, 03:22:41 PM
:rockon:

I'll never own a black vehicle again though.  Unless it's a 3rd car that's garaged all the time.

I really like a black car though.  They look so nice.  My emotions seem to override the obvious problem with black cars on dirt roads.  We'll just be hitting the carwashes a lot, I guess.  :ohyeah:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: The Pirate on September 13, 2009, 03:47:39 PM
Yeah, black vehicle and a dirt road is just a bad, bad combination.  But black cars look fantastic when they are clean.

Congrats on the truck, Ron.  I really like Suburbans a lot. 

Thanks Adam!  I'm loving all the extra room. I'm probably in the 20% minority of Suburban owners who actually need all the space. But in the world of huge SUV's this is a pretty well-engineered and well-made piece of work. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: Psilos on September 13, 2009, 06:56:02 PM
Just more time when you do go. 30 gallons take for-freaking-ever to fill! You'll be able to wash all the windows, vacuum the interior, get a snack, listen to some tunes, take a nap, post on the 'Spin, call home to say you'll be late...

:lol:

:lol:  Yeah, filled it last night and I kept checking the ground to see if it was spilling on the ground.  10 minutes, 30 gallons and around $75 later, we were good to go! :rockon:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on September 13, 2009, 04:28:16 PM
NIce pick! I just rented on last month for our adut weekend at my cabin. I really enjoyed that yacht!  :cheers:

Thanks!  Land yacht it is.  I had the dog in the way back, and I could barely see her.  It was like she wasn't even in the car.  Poor Ruby felt very left out, so we let her sit in the middle row. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Catman

Quote from: saxonyron on September 13, 2009, 06:57:43 PM
I really like a black car though.  They look so nice.  My emotions seem to override the obvious problem with black cars on dirt roads.  We'll just be hitting the carwashes a lot, I guess.  :ohyeah:

Swirl marks. :nono:

saxonyron

Quote from: Catman on September 13, 2009, 07:06:43 PM
Swirl marks. :nono:

Not if you do it just right.  And if you don't do it just right, you just need to squint a lot.  :huh:  It came from the dealer swirly-free.  I might have to drive it back over routinely for cleanings.  :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

the Teuton

Quote from: saxonyron on September 13, 2009, 07:01:37 PM

:lol:  Yeah, filled it last night and I kept checking the ground to see if it was spilling on the ground.  10 minutes, 30 gallons and around $75 later, we were good to go! :rockon:

Sweet Baby Jesus!  The taxes on the SL2 were less than that.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

J86

Quote from: saxonyron on September 13, 2009, 06:55:44 PM
Thanks!  I feel a little like Secret Service when I climb out of it.  :mask:

Thanks!  Unfortunately there's no sailboat left to tow.  :(  Just the nag trailer.  Haven't towed it yet, but I figure it'll be solid without a lot of tail wagging. 

well, with that towing capacity you can buy something bigger!

S204STi

Xer0

Quote from: saxonyron on September 13, 2009, 06:57:43 PM

Some places offer gas/wash combos were you save like 20-30 cents a gallon by purchasing a wash with your gas.  At 30 gallons thats like a free wash!  Keep that truck looking good  :ohyeah:

cawimmer430

Quote from: saxonyron on September 13, 2009, 06:50:45 PM
:lol:  No matter how you slice it, these things eat gas, but it's still better than driving 2 cars everywhere! The gas mileage so far is very close to the Expedition. Only 150 pounds more, plus basically the same engine.  I figure we'll average 14 - 15 mpg on this one too.  Besides, the gas tank is around 30 gallons - absolutely huge!  The Expedition was only 23 or so.  So I guess we'll be spending less time at the gas stations!  :rockon:

:ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

RomanChariot

Quote from: saxonyron on September 13, 2009, 07:01:37 PM

A 30 gallon tank is nothing.  I have a '99 Suburban with a 454 and a 43 gallon tank.  I bought it cheap but nicely loaded and use it to tow a 31 foot camper.  It pulls the 7500lb beast well through the mountains of Utah but I try not to think about the fuel economy. :cry:

TBR

Nice ride.

When does the A6 get replaced? Seems like you normally buy in pairs so shouldn't it's time be up pretty soon?

saxonyron

Quote from: RomanChariot on September 14, 2009, 09:23:57 AM
A 30 gallon tank is nothing.  I have a '99 Suburban with a 454 and a 43 gallon tank.  I bought it cheap but nicely loaded and use it to tow a 31 foot camper.  It pulls the 7500lb beast well through the mountains of Utah but I try not to think about the fuel economy. :cry:

Probably measured better in gallons per mile, eh?  :ohyeah:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: TBR on September 14, 2009, 09:37:11 AM
Nice ride.

When does the A6 get replaced? Seems like you normally buy in pairs so shouldn't it's time be up pretty soon?

No way!  Only 50 k miles on the A6 - I'm keeping this one for at least another couple years.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

TBR

Quote from: saxonyron on September 14, 2009, 11:35:34 AM
No way!  Only 50 k miles on the A6 - I'm keeping this one for at least another couple years.

Are you not driving as much as you used to or am I just remembering wrong? Seems like you have had it for 2 years and bought it with ~10k. Wouldn't that normally put you at 70k?

I guess I am probably just confused since your last one was a lease (how stalkerish is it that I know that?).

ChrisV

Nice truck!

Should've got something like this, though...  :lol:

Saw a diesel version of this truck towing a really big travel trailer last weekend out at the campground by the ocean. Farking big truck.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

TBR

Farking big truck extended version or not. When you see one on a freeway or something it just looks a little bigger than a Suburban or Expedition EL, but when you see one on a surface road you realize just how huge the things are.

I don't know what I would do with one, but I want an Excursion nonetheless.

RomanChariot

Quote from: saxonyron on September 14, 2009, 11:31:14 AM
Probably measured better in gallons per mile, eh?  :ohyeah:

It feels that way sometimes.  Most of the miles I put on it are with a trailer behind it so I have not measured the fuel economy in daily driving.  On trips towing the trailer I have gotten as high (ha! ha!) as 9mpg and as low as 7.5mpg.  Granted, those numbers include towing the trailer and crossing over mountain passes as high as 9000 feet with the beginning and ending elevations in the 4500 foot range so it gets a pretty good workout.

saxonyron

Quote from: TBR on September 14, 2009, 11:39:36 AM
Are you not driving as much as you used to or am I just remembering wrong? Seems like you have had it for 2 years and bought it with ~10k. Wouldn't that normally put you at 70k?

I guess I am probably just confused since your last one was a lease (how stalkerish is it that I know that?).

Stalker alert!!!  :lol: You've got a good memory, though.  I bought the A6 in Dec. of '07 and it had only 4,000 miles on it.  I've averaged 26,000 miles per year for at least the last 15 years.  22 months of ownership, 46,000 miles driven, 2,190 mi/month puts me just over 26,000 per year.   I'm hoping to have this one for at least another 2 or 3 years.  We'll see if it still feels good at 100,000 miles and the warranty runs out. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: ChrisV on September 14, 2009, 12:17:22 PM
Nice truck!

Saw a diesel version of this truck towing a really big travel trailer last weekend out at the campground by the ocean. Farking big truck.

Yikes!  That's ludicrously large!  I'm sure my wife would enjoy parking that at the supermarket. :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

J86

Quote from: ChrisV on September 14, 2009, 12:17:22 PM
Nice truck!

These things are awesome.  I've seen one that is used as the boat car...so sick.  Tows the boat AND space for the crew.

saxonyron

Quote from: RomanChariot on September 14, 2009, 12:29:02 PM
It feels that way sometimes.  Most of the miles I put on it are with a trailer behind it so I have not measured the fuel economy in daily driving.  On trips towing the trailer I have gotten as high (ha! ha!) as 9mpg and as low as 7.5mpg.  Granted, those numbers include towing the trailer and crossing over mountain passes as high as 9000 feet with the beginning and ending elevations in the 4500 foot range so it gets a pretty good workout.

I'm feeling sympathy pains for your transmission as I read this.  4500 foot climb?  I feel bad for my vehicle when I climb 1,000 feet in our little White Mountains up here in NH.  I'm surprised you get as high as 7.5!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Rupert

Quote from: saxonyron on September 14, 2009, 04:28:48 PM
Yikes!  That's ludicrously large!  I'm sure my wife would enjoy parking that at the supermarket. :lol:

You don't park... You bulldoze.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

The Pirate

Quote from: TBR on September 14, 2009, 12:27:14 PM
Farking big truck extended version or not. When you see one on a freeway or something it just looks a little bigger than a Suburban or Expedition EL, but when you see one on a surface road you realize just how huge the things are.

I don't know what I would do with one, but I want an Excursion nonetheless.

I know what you mean.  I also pine for a ridiculously large (and preferable diesel) SUV.  I prefer the Suburban, but I do like the Excursion a lot.

Like you, I have absolutely no use for one, though I could quite possibly move out of my apartment, and live in it.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

I don't get the desire for a huge vehicle with no specific use. I drive monstrosities like the Excursion and 2500 series Chevys fairly often, and there is nothing they do well, other than move a lot of people/stuff. They handle like shit, are a bitch in town, pointless on the highway, and are far too large off road. I mean, they have their use (couldn't tow huge-o-ginormous gubment FEMA trailers without 'em), but, if I don't have that use, there is no way you're gonna get me to buy even a full-size pick-up.

J86

Quote from: Psilos on September 14, 2009, 09:10:05 PM
I don't get the desire for a huge vehicle with no specific use. I drive monstrosities like the Excursion and 2500 series Chevys fairly often, and there is nothing they do well, other than move a lot of people/stuff. They handle like shit, are a bitch in town, pointless on the highway, and are far too large off road. I mean, they have their use (couldn't tow huge-o-ginormous gubment FEMA trailers without 'em), but, if I don't have that use, there is no way you're gonna get me to buy even a full-size pick-up.

Cause it pisses people off :lol:

TBR

Quote from: Psilos on September 14, 2009, 09:10:05 PM

I have had a fair amount of experience with my dad's 4wd F-250 LWB. That's about as big as it gets and I really do enjoy driving it. It's everything you say and more (for example: you have to be very gentle with the throttle if the road is even the slightest bit wet, else the rear will step out, not a pleasurable experience in a 3+ ton truck), but there's just some intangible pleasure I get from driving it.