Speeding

Started by jadewolf123, August 17, 2005, 01:57:55 PM

jadewolf123

I got  ticket for 58 in a 45, on a major highway where the speedlimit was gonna change in like 200 feet. And while im pulled over a dick is driving with no lights on, at 11 at night. Fuck im pissed, plus im leaving for school in 3 days so i dont have the time to fight it. God that cop was a dick, a warning would have been in order. Especially since most people were going that fast and im a first time offender.
2007 Mazda 6i Sedan Gray Black Cloth Interior 5-Spd

jadewolf123

ohh and the speedlimit was gonna change to 55

Tom

Just think that one instance of safe "speeding" will result in a significant insurance increase, a hefty fine, and a criminal record.

mazda6er

QuoteJust think that one instance of safe "speeding" will result in a significant insurance increase, a hefty fine, and a criminal record.
Way to look on the bright side, Tom.  ;)  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

You have to fight it.  I fought a 70 in a 35 and got away with a lowered fine (122 instead of 200) and 2 points instead of 5.  You have to fight it.  Come back from school--you have to fight it.  You can get off of this one, kiddo.  I know you can.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

QuoteJust think that one instance of safe "speeding" will result in a significant insurance increase, a hefty fine, and a criminal record.
What can I say?  He's the victim of an unjust system.  And yes, fight it!  Fight The Man!

TBR

QuoteYou have to fight it.  I fought a 70 in a 35 and got away with a lowered fine (122 instead of 200) and 2 points instead of 5.  You have to fight it.  Come back from school--you have to fight it.  You can get off of this one, kiddo.  I know you can.
You might be able to get off, but I know that at least in your instance you shouldn't have (you were going double the speed limit!).

Tom

I'm planning to triple the limit soon.  I know of this street that is marked 25.  It is wide open, freshly paved, and lightly traveled.  I could easily and safely kiss 75 then back off real fast with no problems.  Matter of fact it located near Raza if I'm not mistaken(South Hampton?), maybe he's already done it :lol:  

dazzleman

You really should fight this ticket.  You have nothing to lose, and you're almost guaranteed at a minimum to knock it down to a very low number of points, or maybe even no points.

Explain your situation and seek to reschedule your court date.  Maybe your court date could be around the time you come home for Thanksgiving, or something like that.  It usually takes a few months before you can get a court date in any case.  On my last ticket, my court date was almost 3 months from when I got the ticket, and that was with no postponements.

Good luck.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

850CSi

If it's 58 in a 45 and you're a first-time offender, you should probably get Court Supervision. Hell, it's really easy to get supervision...

By any chance, was this on Rt.83 on the bridge over I-55? Burr Ridge cops?

Secret Chimp

If you were that close to the sign and if indeed most everyone else was going as fast, there's no way you CAN'T get this thing reduced, unless the judge has a red hot flagpole up his ass or something.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

mazda6er

What can I say?  He's the victim of an unjust system.  And yes, fight it!  Fight The Man!
Da Macheen is bringing you down!  :P  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

NomisR

QuoteYou have to fight it.  I fought a 70 in a 35 and got away with a lowered fine (122 instead of 200) and 2 points instead of 5.  You have to fight it.  Come back from school--you have to fight it.  You can get off of this one, kiddo.  I know you can.
You might be able to get off, but I know that at least in your instance you shouldn't have (you were going double the speed limit!).
What's wrong with double the speed limit?

I've done that before, most I've done was a 100 in a 45 although I wasn't caught.  And it was up hill on a 4 lane road that's wide enough for 6 with no branching roads, pedestrians or parked cars... but that was double the limit though  :lol:  

SargeMonkey

What the hell are points and, my dads done 20 over and passed cops, nothing happened, normaly going to portland.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

TurboDan

QuoteYou might be able to get off, but I know that at least in your instance you shouldn't have (you were going double the speed limit!).
He drove faster than an arbitrary number set by a bunch of politicians on a town council that probably all drive Lincoln Town Cars at ten below that number.  Big deal.

Every city has roads with artificially low speed limits.  The vast majority of people greatly exceed them in a safe and reasonable driving manner.  Reasonable police officers (unless they are under pressure from politicians) could care less.

The speed limit for all HIGHWAYS in NYC is 50MPH.  Do you think ANYONE would drive at 50MPH?  Maybe if you had a death wish...

TBR

Every road in my area with low speed limits have them for a reason, whether it be a lot of business entrances, pedestrians, just a lot of traffic, or poor visibility. I guess it is probably different around big cities.

850CSi

QuoteEvery city has roads with artificially low speed limits.
There's an exception.

Cities that don't have their own Police Departments tend to have high limits. I don't know if this trend holds up all over the country, but it certainly does in Illinois. I drove to the hospital my dad works at yesterday to see my cousin (had surgery). It's around 30 minutes away, and the way is mostly on 2-lane roads in smaller-populated towns, most of which I can safely assume have no Police Dept.. Speed limits were VERY appropriate.

Raza

QuoteI'm planning to triple the limit soon.  I know of this street that is marked 25.  It is wide open, freshly paved, and lightly traveled.  I could easily and safely kiss 75 then back off real fast with no problems.  Matter of fact it located near Raza if I'm not mistaken(South Hampton?), maybe he's already done it :lol:
Do you know the street name, or the area?  I probably have.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

During my senior year of high school I got busted for going 13 over the limit as well (53 in a 40). I was mad, especially since it meant my insurance was going to go UP... WAY up. Luckily WA state has something called a "deferred finding" where if you have a clean record, you can postpone a ticket for a year. If you don't get any moving violations within that year, the ticket never touches your record. Needless to say I used cruise control A LOT for the rest of high school. :P

Does anybody else plan on doing that legal highway race in Nevada anytime soon? When I graduate and plunk down some cash for a halfway decent car, you can bet I'll be there for my first vacation :P
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Tom

QuoteI'm planning to triple the limit soon.  I know of this street that is marked 25.  It is wide open, freshly paved, and lightly traveled.  I could easily and safely kiss 75 then back off real fast with no problems.  Matter of fact it located near Raza if I'm not mistaken(South Hampton?), maybe he's already done it :lol:
Do you know the street name, or the area?  I probably have.
I think it's called Park Avenue.  It's goes between County Line and Street Road along railroad tracks.  Let me get a map.

jadewolf123

850 thats exactly the place I got busted, and it was willowbrook cops. I have court supervision and its only a 75 dollar fine the lowest it can go but im still pissed off. My insurance doesnt find out i dont think so its as low as it can go, if i go to court they would have to repeal the ticket to get any lower.

Raza

QuoteYou have to fight it.  I fought a 70 in a 35 and got away with a lowered fine (122 instead of 200) and 2 points instead of 5.  You have to fight it.  Come back from school--you have to fight it.  You can get off of this one, kiddo.  I know you can.
What's wrong with double the speed limit?

I've done that before, most I've done was a 100 in a 45 although I wasn't caught.  And it was up hill on a 4 lane road that's wide enough for 6 with no branching roads, pedestrians or parked cars... but that was double the limit though  :lol:
I've done worse--120 in a 40 (past a cop!), 115 in a 55 (another cop, while racing an Impala SS on the turnpike), 110 in a 15 (no one was around--it's a school zone road that doesn't get used)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Now racing on public streets is stupid no matter the conditions.

TurboDan

QuoteNow racing on public streets is stupid no matter the conditions.
I'd rather be racing with someone who knows what they're doing than driving next to an complete idiot doing a 65MPH speed limit.   ;)  

TBR

I suppose so, but actually racing is just asking for an accident imho.  

dazzleman

QuoteNow racing on public streets is stupid no matter the conditions.
I'd rather be racing with someone who knows what they're doing than driving next to an complete idiot doing a 65MPH speed limit.   ;)
Dan, I would paraphrase your statement by saying I'd rather ride with a fast but competent driver than a slow and incompetent one.

Some of the best drivers I know speed all the time, and have gotten a good number of tickets for it.  Still, I feel safer riding with someone like that than a slow, good-two-shoes driver who is incompetent.  I know a few of those types too; they shrink in horror at the thought of getting a ticket, but get into accidents all the time.  I'd take a ticket over an accident anyday.

I can't say I agree with you about racing, though I did a little bit of racing every once in a while when I was younger.  I think racing on public streets is really asking for trouble.  There's a difference between driving fast and racing, in that in racing, the goal is to beat somebody, while driving fast is really its own end.  Racers are more likely to take stupid risks in order to meet their goal, while fast drivers will often slow down when conditions are unsafe for the speed they're going.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

I agree.  

Racing isn't something to be done often on public roads.  Getting somewhere quickly on a highway certainly is.   ;)  

dazzleman

QuoteI agree.  

Racing isn't something to be done often on public roads.  Getting somewhere quickly on a highway certainly is.   ;)
:lol:   Yup, I love getting places fast on the highway.

I read somewhere once a very accurate statement.  It said that driving is actually very boring, unless you're doing something dangerous or illegal.  That's what makes it exciting.

Since I don't like to do dangerous things, I have to settle for illegal.  :lol:   But the statement really is true.  The best example I can think of is the trips my buddy and I used to take to Boston every so often.  He's a fast but very competent driver, and the whole goal was to make it from New York (Westchester County, just north of the city) to Boston in 3 hours or under.  The best we did was 3 hours and 5 minutes.

Of course, making that kind of time required some serious speeding.  What would have been a long, ho-hum boring drive became exciting, because of the constant need to look out for cops, interpret the radar detector, etc.  The danger of getting pulled over, and the vigilance being exercised by both of us to avoid it, combined with the feeling of speed, is what made the drive exciting and interesting.

My buddy did get nailed twice, I think, on those trips, but that never slowed us down, other than the time when he was waiting for his ticket.  He just shoved the ticket in the glove compartment and went right back up to his previous cruising speed.  

850CSi

Quote850 thats exactly the place I got busted, and it was willowbrook cops. I have court supervision and its only a 75 dollar fine the lowest it can go but im still pissed off. My insurance doesnt find out i dont think so its as low as it can go, if i go to court they would have to repeal the ticket to get any lower.
I got court supervision for 3 months.

Your insurance will not find out unless you get another ticket and revoke supervision.

Willowbrook cops... So you were on the north side of that bridge (Otherwise, they were out of their Jurisdiction).

I always watch out over there. A lot of times, there's a Burr Ridge squad car stopped on the south side at the Shell. Burr Ridge cops tend to be cool, though, in my experience.

L. ed foote

QuoteSince I don't like to do dangerous things, I have to settle for illegal.  :lol:   But the statement really is true.  The best example I can think of is the trips my buddy and I used to take to Boston every so often.  He's a fast but very competent driver, and the whole goal was to make it from New York (Westchester County, just north of the city) to Boston in 3 hours or under.  The best we did was 3 hours and 5 minutes.
Not bad, not bad...  3:15 is my best.  Traffic on 95 or the Hutch always screws me up
Member, Self Preservation Society