Your car was just totaled. What do you buy?

Started by ifcar, September 25, 2009, 01:34:10 PM

ifcar

Your car was demolished today by another driver who admitted fault and is insured. Using whatever value you'd expect to get out of that car and your existing means, what is the car you would replace it with?

Not too many rules for this. Reality dictates the rules. One thing worth noting, however: there are no "or"s. You just get one choice when you buy a car.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Provided I could find one in the proper configuration (sedan, GLX, 5MT).

So I think I'll just avoid totaling the Prelude since a '90s VW would most likely drain my bank account quite quickly.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

Depending on how bad my car is hit I'd probably just take the money and fix it.

But if it burst into flames and burned to the ground I'd have to go get an NC Miata. It's not the car I want right now but if I don't have the old one anymore then I'd need the new one.

NomisR

If today, I'd probably get an STi, if it is early next year, probably Civic CNG since I'll live farther away and I'll have a place to put in the filling station and can use Carpool Lane. 

MX793

Either a Genesis Coupe 3.8GT or WRX hatch.  Haven't driven either, so it's hard to say exactly which.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

If the MG was wrecked (ha, I guess by a drunk driver, since it's just sitting there), I would take the money, wait until spring, and buy an NA Miata. I would probably get screwed by insurance and get less than $3k, but I was planning on buying a Miata then, anyway...

If it was the 'Sploder, I'd buy another 'Sploder.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

2o6

My parents would likely get another Econoline if the econoline was totaled.

If the Grand Voyager was totaled, It'd be replaced with this:

It satisfies all their needs: Small, but not teensy inside. Frugal. Can get out of sticky situations in bad weather. And most of all, it doesn't have a center console that doesn't intrude in my mom's fascination of having her purse next to her.

Laconian

My mom has that fixation too. I don't get it.

If my Miata was totaled (god forbid) I would get... an MX-5 PRHT!

I would consider a used Z4 or a new S2000, but the all-season versatility of the hardtop means the MX-5 comes out on top.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

sportyaccordy

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/1392365565.html

95-99 Maxima GLE/I30 (preferably the Touring model).

Coilovers, exhaust, OEM Nissan/Infiniti 18s, front lip, Bose AUX input kit. DONE.

Def wouldn't be as fun to drive... and I'd be super tempted to get another Accord... but I'm done with them. Need something the girl can drive.

S204STi

By the way, this is the first, "Which car would you buy," thread that hasn't sucked monkey dick, in months. :praise:

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on September 25, 2009, 03:44:54 PM
By the way, this is the first, "Which car would you buy," thread that hasn't sucked monkey dick, in months. :praise:

I concur

Xer0

Well, according to KBB my car is worth ~14,200.  I still owe ~8,500 on it.  That gives me an almost 6k down payment on another car.  Personally, I would try squeezing myself into an Si or Accord Coupe.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

S204STi

Sweet, I just KBBed my car, private party value is barely down from what I paid for it new.  21k, and a used V70R in same condition and mileage would cost me just another 1k to get into.

WRX

V70 R

Northlands

Based on current values of the car. SEL V6 2007.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

CALL_911

If the TSX were totalled, I'd get like $20k?

GTI, I guess. Or a V6 Camaro.

Then again, I guess it's mine temporarily, so let's play with the Subaru. If it's totalled, I'll go out and buy a burrito with the money I'd get for it. But then I'd be in debt....

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CJ

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on September 25, 2009, 03:44:54 PM

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

logic would dictate that I get a 1-year-old V6 Camcord (or be completely outrageous and go for a Maxima), but chances are I'll end up with this:

SVT666

2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe

One simple reason why I would pick this over the 2005 Mustang GT or 2005 Pontiac GTO.  The aftermarket is very very small compared to the other two and I can't afford mods right now.  Less tempting to spend money.

CALL_911

Quote from: HEMI666 on September 25, 2009, 10:16:45 PM
2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe

One simple reason why I would pick this over the 2005 Mustang GT or 2005 Pontiac GTO.  The aftermarket is very very small compared to the other two and I can't afford mods right now.  Less tempting to spend money.

But still, it doesn't exactly have a small aftermarket.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TBR

Quote from: Vinsanity on September 25, 2009, 09:42:35 PM
logic would dictate that I get a 1-year-old V6 Camcord (or be completely outrageous and go for a Maxima), but chances are I'll end up with this:

I like how you don't even bother to use the conditional :tounge:

Vinsanity

Quote from: TBR on September 25, 2009, 11:02:50 PM
I like how you don't even bother to use the conditional :tounge:

grammar? on my internets?

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 25, 2009, 10:42:36 PM
But still, it doesn't exactly have a small aftermarket.
It's downright tiny compared to the Mustang and anything for the Chevy small block.  Also, the V8 rumble is far more intoxicating then anything any V6 can make, and that alone would have me running to the internet looking for more power and louder noise.