Has the Tribeca grown on you?

Started by mazda6er, August 18, 2005, 10:20:37 AM

Have you begun to like the looks of the Subaru Tribeca?

Hell yeah, I've always liked it! (1)
2 (8.7%)
I didn't like it at first, but now I think it looks pretty good (2)
4 (17.4%)
It's starting to grow on me (3)
4 (17.4%)
I'm still vomiting (4)
13 (56.5%)

Total Members Voted: 21

mazda6er

Well, pretty straightforward, what do ya think? Here are a few pics to refresh your memory.

Mainly talking about the exterior here, since no one can really complain about the interior, but here's a pic anyway.

As for me, I voted for #2.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SargeMonkey

Looks like an etsil, that ford thing.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

TBR

I originally didn't like it, but it looks pretty decent in dark colors.

BMWDave

QuoteI originally didn't like it, but it looks pretty decent in dark colors.
I absolutely despise it in lighter colors, but in dark colors it looks better, though certainly far from handsome, IMO.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

Hell yeah I've always liked it.  :)  I didn't think it was the prettiest vehicle when it came out, but I still liked it.  :ph34r:  (I sense bashing coming on for "trolling")

Raghavan

Cobra93

If it grew on me I'd have it surgically removed.  B)  

Fire It Up

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Tom

Nah, it still looks bad.  And Ifcar says it doesn't drive any better.  In a highly competitive segment it doesn't stand out IMO.

TBR

Car and Driver did say it drives better and I put more weight on their opinion than I do on ifcar's.

Secret Chimp

It could be better, but I'm OK with it now. I still haaaaate that terrible old song in the one commercial they could come up with, though. Luckily they've stopped playing it as often.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SargeMonkey

Looks to much like a mini van, needs a bit more truck.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Tom

QuoteCar and Driver did say it drives better and I put more weight on their opinion than I do on ifcar's.
Well aren't we kind ;)  :P  

Secret Chimp

QuoteCar and Driver did say it drives better and I put more weight on their opinion than I do on ifcar's.
Well aren't we kind ;)  :P
It took you this long to notice :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

Drives better than what? It drives better than a Suburban, but not up to the best midsize SUVs (Endeavor and Murano). It's not far ahead of the next-best batch either, the Freestyle, Pilot, Highlander, and Grand Cherokee. A slight handling advantage over some of its competitors is not enough to compensate for the rather cramped interior, mediocre acceleration, and high cost.

On topic, I don't remember ever truly hating the styling, but my opinion of it has gone from somewhat unattractive to somewhat attractive.

ciciusss

A war crimes tribunal should be held against the designer of this monstrosity.  :blink: Congratulations goes out to Subaru for the Tribeca joining the ranks of the Honda Element and Ridgeline, Scion xB and of course, the Pontiac Aztec as truly hideous vehicles that will one day have a place beside the Edsel, VW Thing and AMC Pacer.

footoflead

Everything looks great execpt the rear end
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TBR

Drives better than what? It drives better than a Suburban, but not up to the best midsize SUVs (Endeavor and Murano). It's not far ahead of the next-best batch either, the Freestyle, Pilot, Highlander, and Grand Cherokee. A slight handling advantage over some of its competitors is not enough to compensate for the rather cramped interior, mediocre acceleration, and high cost.

On topic, I don't remember ever truly hating the styling, but my opinion of it has gone from somewhat unattractive to somewhat attractive.
It doesn't have the hard ride of the Murano (I don't know how the Endeavor rides, but I don't recall hearing anything noteworthy of its styling either).

And, my early comment was nothing against ifcar, the C/D guys just spent more time with it and have more experience with its competitors.

Catman

QuoteEverything looks great execpt the rear end
Did you see the front? :blink:  

ifcar

It doesn't have the hard ride of the Murano (I don't know how the Endeavor rides, but I don't recall hearing anything noteworthy of its styling either).

And, my early comment was nothing against ifcar, the C/D guys just spent more time with it and have more experience with its competitors.
C/D said it handled well, but they never really said too much about its prowess compared directly to other midsize SUVs. And for the record, even a softer-riding (though still stiff) Murano 3.5SL outhandles the Tribeca easily. And the Endeavor (like the Galant) is a very underrated vehicle, with a noteworthy ride/handling compromise that definitely beats the Tribeca's (though it has no third row).

TBR

In case you didn't figure it out, I meant to put "handling" where I said, "styling"

ifcar

Ah. It's a surprisingly nimble vehicle, though not at Murano level. It's a great car, it doesn't get the credit it deserves.  

footoflead

QuoteEverything looks great execpt the rear end
Did you see the front? :blink:
Yea i did...Its not the best looking front end out there...but its a heck of alot better than the rear in my opinion
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

TBR

I have always like the rear myself, it is very Italian looking imho.

ifcar

QuoteI have always like the rear myself, it is very Italian looking imho.
I like the rear overall, but it looks as though they forgot about fitting in a space for the license plate until they had already designed most of the car. It looks very awkward IMO, especially in person:

giant_mtb

QuoteI have always like the rear myself, it is very Italian looking imho.
I like the rear overall, but it looks as though they forgot about fitting in a space for the license plate until they had already designed most of the car. It looks very awkward IMO, especially in person:
Yeah the rear is awkward...usually the rear windshield on SUV's is at least half the size of the bottom portion of the rear door...it's just disproportional...and, I hate that. lol

Raza

There's no choice for totally indifferent.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

I gotta agree with Raza, the contriversial nose and interior never really bothered me. Just another crossover, I suppose.

However, I wasn't aware that the rear was so bad! It has ugly minivan written all over it!

mazda6er

QuoteThere's no choice for totally indifferent.
Yeah, sorry 'bout that.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

93JC

It has grown on me...

... in a "malignant tumor" kind of way...  :wacko:

:lol: