Econoline throwing a Code?

Started by 2o6, October 01, 2009, 05:46:51 AM

2o6

My mother was driving the van and simotaneously irritating me.

The ABS, Brake, and Airbag light came on and stayed. The HVAC won't work and strangely enough, neither did the blinkers.

She said I'm being a know-it-all and the car is dying. The car just shy of 110,000 miles. I said it's simply throwing some sort of malfunction/repair code.

Question is: Which? Does this car need to go to a Ford Dealer to get diagnosed?

S204STi

A massive failure of multiple systems at once like that would make me want to take a look at the GEM module (it's Ford for "We don't understand how electricity works").  That little guy controls a lot of functions on Ford vehicles.

giant_mtb

Ya.  The GEM on our '98 Explorer went out (or is faulty).  Thus, the speedometer works incrementally, and there is constant drain on the battery (even when the car's off/parked/etc) unless you pull a certain fuse in the fuse box.  :confused:

A car dying at 110,000 miles?  Get real...you can answer your question.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Check fuses too?

For the record, I've OWNED ten vehicles: only 2 of them were under 100,000 miles when I bought them.
One got totalled, the other sold, since I was entering the Army.

Figure out the repair costs: I'll bet they're the equivalent of 2-4 payments (or more?) on a new vehicle.
Almost always makes sense to just repair what you've got, unless it's TRULY worn out.
Will

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 03, 2009, 01:49:46 PM
Check fuses too?

For the record, I've OWNED ten vehicles: only 2 of them were under 100,000 miles when I bought them.
One got totalled, the other sold, since I was entering the Army.

Figure out the repair costs: I'll bet they're the equivalent of 2-4 payments (or more?) on a new vehicle.
Almost always makes sense to just repair what you've got, unless it's TRULY worn out.

+1

2o6

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)