Once again, cops get all the good stuff.....

Started by 3.0L V6, October 05, 2009, 05:59:15 AM

3.0L V6

http://jalopnik.com/5373645/exclusive-the-chevy-caprice-police-car-is-back?skyline=true&s=i

The Chevy Caprice is Back

After a 15-year absence patrolling U.S. streets, an all-new law-enforcement-only Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle (PPV) joins GM's fleet in 2011. Although it's built on the same rear-wheel-drive Camaro and dearly-departed Pontiac G8-spawning Zeta platform, it's not a G8 sedan.

r0tor

wasn't bob lutz forced to eat his words that the caprice would be coming back... and now it is coming back?!?!?!?!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

bing_oh

That it's built on a rear wheel drive platform is good, but it still looks awfully small. The two biggest complaints about the Impala is front wheel drive and interior room. They've fixed the first problem, but I'm as of yet unconvinced in regards to the room issue from those pics (yes, it's bigger than the CVPI, but the Crown Vic doesn't have much room in the back...not that I care if the dirtbag has leg room).

If they do this right, then GM may garner a big fan base. The Chevy Caprice with the LT1 engine is a car of legend in LE and is sorely missed by those of us who drove them. And, quite frankly, I think it's about time that there was a legitimate contender to Ford's monopoly of the LE vehicle market with the CVPI.

3.0L V6

Quote from: bing_oh on October 05, 2009, 06:29:16 AM

If they do this right, then GM may garner a big fan base. The Chevy Caprice with the LT1 engine is a car of legend in LE and is sorely missed by those of us who drove them. And, quite frankly, I think it's about time that there was a legitimate contender to Ford's monopoly of the LE vehicle market with the CVPI.

Does Chrysler still offer the Charger with the police package? I thought they did.

Anyway, with Ford planning to leave the rear-drive market come 2011, it looks to be perfect timing for GM to swoop in and fill this niche. Ford can't possibly make a business case for updating the Panther platform anymore and it helps keep utilization levels high at the GM plant where they build the Zeta cars, so I guess it's a relative win-win situation for both companies.

I guess there's no civilian version because of CAFE and some other reasons I can't fathom.

bing_oh

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on October 05, 2009, 07:34:27 AMDoes Chrysler still offer the Charger with the police package? I thought they did.

Anyway, with Ford planning to leave the rear-drive market come 2011, it looks to be perfect timing for GM to swoop in and fill this niche. Ford can't possibly make a business case for updating the Panther platform anymore and it helps keep utilization levels high at the GM plant where they build the Zeta cars, so I guess it's a relative win-win situation for both companies.

I guess there's no civilian version because of CAFE and some other reasons I can't fathom.

The police Charger is still around, but it really hasn't caught on in LE like Dodge was hoping. I think they're still struggling primarily with an image issue in regards to reliability, and that's a huge hurdle to overcome when you're talking about the LE market. I doubt Dodge's financial issues helped any. In reality, the Charger has barely put a dent in Ford's dominance of the market. I'm willing to bet that the Impala is actually a bigger threat because it fills the cost-effective/high fuel economy niche with police administrators in these tight economic times.

omicron

That it's built on a rear wheel drive platform is good, but it still looks awfully small. The two biggest complaints about the Impala is front wheel drive and interior room. They've fixed the first problem, but I'm as of yet unconvinced in regards to the room issue from those pics (yes, it's bigger than the CVPI, but the Crown Vic doesn't have much room in the back...not that I care if the dirtbag has leg room).

That's a Holden Statesman, and this is your rear legroom:

S204STi

I was checking out this pick of the in-dash computer, which would deal quite well with any space issues, when I noticed that that they didn't put the lower center console trim back together right before taking the picture...

See if you can spot it.

NomisR

Well, I guess from the pictures posted, it's actually a pretty big car, nice.. would make a great taxi too.

bing_oh

Quote from: omicron on October 05, 2009, 08:45:29 AMThat's a Holden Statesman, and this is your rear legroom:

Rear legroom disappears quite quickly when you put a screen behind the seats. A Crown Vic with no partition looks like it has plenty of legroom too...but with a screen, even the smallest people have to sit sideways to fit. Not saying that it won't have enough legroom, just that it'll be tough to really tell until I see a properly-equipped version.

I also didn't notice the center shifter until R-ing posted his pic...that's gotta go. Column shift is a must in a LE vehicle...we have too much stuff to mount on the center console for space to be taken up by a shifter.

Raza

Is the partition in a cop car much different from one in a cab?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

What is all this shit cops 'need' such that a column shifter is necessary?

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on October 05, 2009, 02:59:44 PM
What is all this shit cops 'need' such that a column shifter is necessary?

Computer, shotgun, gumball machine, doughnut holders, badge-shiners (they're like those stand up shoe shining machines you see in hotel rooms), video camera, et al.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

bing_oh

Quote from: Raza  on October 05, 2009, 02:54:33 PMIs the partition in a cop car much different from one in a cab?

There's no credit card swiper or touchscreen TV. :huh:

bing_oh

Quote from: 93JC on October 05, 2009, 02:59:44 PMWhat is all this shit cops 'need' such that a column shifter is necessary?

At the least, you're looking at control boxes for the lightbar, siren, and radio...all of which have to be mounted in such a way that the driver can use them easily while driving (sometimes at high speeds). Most departments also have computer mounts and some mount shotgun and patrol rifle vertically between the seats and behind the center console.

MX793

Based on photos at C&D, looks like they fitted a shotgun/rifle mount just behind the center armrest and in front of the barrier screen.  It also appears they've mounted the radio and some other police electronics/communications equipment in the center armrest (skewed to the right to allow some armrest space for the driver).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

Lets's face it, there are very few vehicles other than the CV which are really anything resembling ideal for north-american LE, but this is a good effort and the most likely successor to the CV when it goes out of production in 2012.

Galaxy

Quote from: bing_oh on October 05, 2009, 02:08:05 PM
I also didn't notice the center shifter until R-ing posted his pic...that's gotta go. Column shift is a must in a LE vehicle...we have too much stuff to mount on the center console for space to be taken up by a shifter.

The stuff is integrated into the dash. Don't mount anything.

bing_oh

Quote from: MX793 on October 05, 2009, 03:34:48 PMBased on photos at C&D, looks like they fitted a shotgun/rifle mount just behind the center armrest and in front of the barrier screen.  It also appears they've mounted the radio and some other police electronics/communications equipment in the center armrest (skewed to the right to allow some armrest space for the driver).

The setup they have is less than ideal. You don't want to have to twist sideways to work the radio or lightbar controls at 100 mph...they are two things that have to be easily usable during high speed vehicle operation. There are other mounting options for shotgun, rifle, computer, etc, but positioning the radio and lightbar/siren controls is a safety issue.

Quote from: Galaxy on October 05, 2009, 04:04:28 PMThe stuff is integrated into the dash. Don't mount anything.

Things like radios and lightbars and their controls tend to be reused, not replaced every time a new car is bought. So they have to be remounted. They're bought separately from the vehicles and aren't standard equipment with the cars.

the Teuton

I think this car coming out pretty much signals the end of any chance Carbon Motors had of carving out the niche in the US after the Crown Vic left. They just took too much time to get here.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

rohan

This car will have to get some pretty good gas mileage to be really considered by most places these days.  That's the only reason our dept. is using now only v6 cruisers- 17.3 mpg avg vs.  10.8 the CVPI got and the Charger V8 was only about 12.5.  There'll be lots of room for the ppl who matter.  I for one don't want our folks under arrest to have more than enough room to put their feet on the floor.  I don't want them to have room to move around and I don't want them to have room to be able to resist inside the car or kick at the screen like the could do in the Caprice and lots of times in the CVPI.  It's one of the reasons I like the Charger so much.   I could'nt give a shred of care about their comfort- in fact I want them to be as uncomfortable as possible so it makes it more memorable and difficult to cause harm to deputies or property.

Quote from: bing_oh on October 05, 2009, 02:08:05 PM
Rear legroom disappears quite quickly when you put a screen behind the seats. A Crown Vic with no partition looks like it has plenty of legroom too...but with a screen, even the smallest people have to sit sideways to fit. Not saying that it won't have enough legroom, just that it'll be tough to really tell until I see a properly-equipped version.

That will probably get moved- and the installed integrated stuff won't work for most places because every one has their own computer systems and have spent hundreds if not millions on the current computers which are in most places less than 5 years old.  Our county dispatch just bought new computers for every patrol car and firetruck in the county on federal and 911 surcharge money.  I can't imagine we'll even consider that system unless it is equal to what we have and doesn't cost us a dime.  We also won't allow any of those departments to use our system without using our equipment.  If GM won't make the car available with space between the seats no one in this county will be buying one.  And that's alot of lost business.  There are probably 300-400 police cars in this county alone.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 09:28:48 PM
I think this car coming out pretty much signals the end of any chance Carbon Motors had of carving out the niche in the US after the Crown Vic left. They just took too much time to get here.
CM was never going to really happen- it wouldn't/couldn't work.   Although I like the idea of having a diesel if it got decent performance and was as clean as the other modern ones out there like the VW and BMW ones.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Galaxy on October 05, 2009, 04:04:28 PM
The stuff is integrated into the dash. Don't mount anything.
Cost- it woul dhave to be cost effective for LE to even consider it.  I have a hard time believing that built in computers and emergency equipment controls could be inexpensive.  The lightbar switch bank our department uses is $69.99 plus shipping for new ones.
Siren control is about $200.  It doesn't seem to likely it would be cheaper then that especially since we only replace them when they can't be repaird.

~Chief Seattle

Galaxy

Quote from: bing_oh on October 05, 2009, 07:20:53 PM
Things like radios and lightbars and their controls tend to be reused, not replaced every time a new car is bought. So they have to be remounted. They're bought separately from the vehicles and aren't standard equipment with the cars.
Quote from: rohan on October 06, 2009, 11:44:31 AM
Cost- it woul dhave to be cost effective for LE to even consider it.  I have a hard time believing that built in computers and emergency equipment controls could be inexpensive.  The lightbar switch bank our department uses is $69.99 plus shipping for new ones.
Siren control is about $200.  It doesn't seem to likely it would be cheaper then that especially since we only replace them when they can't be repaird.

I am not sure how the rest of the european countries handle it but the German police no longer  buys police cars and the related equipment. They are on three year leases. The exceptions are specialty vehicles and some older vehicles that they still own. 

It used to be the polar opposite, up to the mid 90s they had their own garages to work on cars.

I have no idea what they spend though compared to US departments.

NomisR

Quote from: rohan on October 06, 2009, 11:39:44 AM
This car will have to get some pretty good gas mileage to be really considered by most places these days.  That's the only reason our dept. is using now only v6 cruisers- 17.3 mpg avg vs.  10.8 the CVPI got and the Charger V8 was only about 12.5. 

Considering how I've seen some LEOs drive.. I wouldn't be surprised.  I don't they they'll get good mileage regardless of what cars they drive.  There's one that runs down the main street by where I live at WOT every night.  It's annoying to hear the V8 fly down a residential street. 

It seems they drive only in 3 modes, Stop, WOT, and then piss slow because they're doing something on their computer or texting on their phones. 

NomisR

Quote from: Galaxy on October 06, 2009, 01:57:49 PM
I am not sure how the rest of the european countries handle it but the German police no longer  buys police cars and the related equipment. They are on three year leases. The exceptions are specialty vehicles and some older vehicles that they still own. 

It used to be the polar opposite, up to the mid 90s they had their own garages to work on cars.

I have no idea what they spend though compared to US departments.

With the mileage they put on them, I dont' think it'll make a good deal for the departments to lease the vehicles. 

MX793

Quote from: rohan on October 06, 2009, 11:39:44 AM
This car will have to get some pretty good gas mileage to be really considered by most places these days.  That's the only reason our dept. is using now only v6 cruisers- 17.3 mpg avg vs.  10.8 the CVPI got and the Charger V8 was only about 12.5.  There'll be lots of room for the ppl who matter.  I for one don't want our folks under arrest to have more than enough room to put their feet on the floor.  I don't want them to have room to move around and I don't want them to have room to be able to resist inside the car or kick at the screen like the could do in the Caprice and lots of times in the CVPI.  It's one of the reasons I like the Charger so much.   I could'nt give a shred of care about their comfort- in fact I want them to be as uncomfortable as possible so it makes it more memorable and difficult to cause harm to deputies or property.

If uncomfortable is the goal, maybe they should use rear seats like in this older Commodore Australian police car

At least there appears to be halfway decent legroom...
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Catman

An in dash monitor is certainly possible for a reasonable expense. 

Catman

The new Caprice will also have significantly larger interior volume ? 112 cubic feet ? than the Ford Crown Victoria, including ? thanks to the longer wheelbase ? nearly 4 inches more rear legroom to help give handcuffed suspects a much more comfortable experience. The Caprice PPV's long wheelbase also gives it 18 cubic feet of free trunk volume. That's enough room for a full-size spare located under a flat load surface in the trunk storage area and any number of shotguns, RPGs and whatever other riot gear an officer feels like fitting into a trunk.