What do you know about the Porsche 968?

Started by BMWDave, August 18, 2005, 06:23:16 PM

BMWDave

Well, my friend and I went to the Porsche dealership in search of used cars, and they directed us to a specialty Porsche shop.  We found a very nice 968, in impeccable condition, with 103K miles on it.  The car even has a 3 month warranty, and is certified pre owned, (although not by Porsche. The shop is somehow affiliated with them though).

This is the car:

Its only 11K and its a 95..most similar 968s I saw were going for double the price.  

Could anyone comment on reliability of the car, certain issues, etc.  I would really appreciate that :)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

I imagine it's reliability is similar to the 944t, though perhaps a bit better.

BMWDave

QuoteI imagine it's reliability is similar to the 944t, though perhaps a bit better.
Its not a turbo though, so I would imagine it to be a lot better.  Its also a much newer car.

2007 Honda S2000

Tom

TBR

It isn't a turbo?!? I always just assumed it was...

TBR

Just pulled out my "Hot Cars" book (oh the joys of youth ;) :lol:), and sure enough, it used a NA 3.0l I4 (those cylinders must be massive).

BMWDave

QuoteIt isn't a turbo?!? I always just assumed it was...
Nope, its what makes it seem like a much better car...it has a 236 hp I4 naturally aspirated, and to me, that beats a turbo anyday.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

QuoteJust pulled out my "Hot Cars" book (oh the joys of youth ;) :lol:), and sure enough, it used a NA 3.0l I4 (those cylinders must be massive).
Yup, its a powerful engine.  it also has a 6 speed, while a 944 only has a 5 speed.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

The 944 has a bit of a more aggresive look, but this is nice also.  The 968 should be faster, it's got a tad bit more power (unless it also gained weight), but I do love turbos.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

It's fast, handles great, was built with durability in mind by quality Porsche engineers, and the styling is classic and legendary.

BMWDave

I just spoke to my friend, we are going to check out the car, and perhaps will buy it, next week.  :)

Thanks for the info thus far guys, any more info will be appreciated :)

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

I'm wary of cars with over 100K miles, but Porsches are notoriously reliable.  So it should work.

Take pics.  Swing by, let me drive it.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

QuoteI'm wary of cars with over 100K miles, but Porsches are notoriously reliable.  So it should work.

Take pics.  Swing by, let me drive it.
I will take lots of pics, but as for the swing by part.... :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

QuoteI'm wary of cars with over 100K miles, but Porsches are notoriously reliable.  So it should work.

Take pics.  Swing by, let me drive it.
Well, I'm the resident "Tiff Needell" on the forums, the Stig, if you will.  I'll give the car a right test drive, even show you how to drift a bit.  

:D  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BMWDave

QuoteI'm wary of cars with over 100K miles, but Porsches are notoriously reliable.? So it should work.

Take pics.? Swing by, let me drive it.
Well, I'm the resident "Tiff Needell" on the forums, the Stig, if you will.  I'll give the car a right test drive, even show you how to drift a bit.  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

TBR

Well, at least there is such a thing as a Turbo 968 (though it was super rare).