My Power Driver's Seat Doesn't Do All Functions

Started by eightballsidepocket, October 12, 2009, 02:17:50 PM

eightballsidepocket

My 1995 Maxima GLE has been a great car.  It has 153k miles on the odometer, and the engine still runs silky smooth, uses no oil between 3k changes, and doesn't drip any either.

Anyway, my power driver's seat goes forward and back, and the seatback tilts forward and back fine, but the seat won't go up or down or tilt the seat cushion at all.

Did a little experiment.  Got out of the seat and stood on the street with door open and tried the up/down/seat cushion tilt, and it all worked fine.

I raised the seat up all the way this way.  Then I got in the seat and you could hear a raspy gear teeth sound and the seat dropped down to bottom with my full weight.

Ok, no obese jokes now.  I'm a tad over 200 lbs, but it shouldn't do this.

Is this an easy fix?  Can I pull the seat and is their something broken, or are their some important gears that aren't lining up that lift/lower and tilt the seat-bottom cushion.

I'd prefer to work on it myself and save the $$. 

Don't really know how these power seat motors.
Regards, Eightballsidepocket

Of Course I have An Agenda!
(Who Doesn't?)

"Nothing should be said anonymously behind a P.C., that can't be respectfully said in person"

AutobahnSHO

I'd say you're looking at some ca$h.
Might start looking in junkyards for a seat that looks like it's not too abused.
Will