Started by TBR, October 14, 2009, 09:22:47 AM

CALL_911

Whoa, you need to buy that BMW. :rockon: :rockon:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

J86

Quote from: SVT_Power on October 14, 2009, 03:14:39 PM
You guys really love CC...

When I made trips between here and NJ (roughly 10-12 hours, dunno exact mileage), I must've used cruised like 5-10% of the time  :huh:

And I'm thinking about calling it quits on my car too but I can't not have a car because of my job right now  :lol:

I hear that.  I drove many thousands of miles of highway over the last four years (16 hours+ each weekend) and maybe used cruise 5% of the time, generously.  Maybe it'sbecause my first car enver had it so I never got used to it.

BimmerM3

Oh man, cruise control is great for longer drives.

Also, what the hell are you doing driving 16+ hours every weekend? I used to do ~7 every weekend, but damn.

Rich

Quote from: TBR on October 14, 2009, 02:59:05 PM
Yeah, I know all that.

I don't know what I was thinking test driving that thing. From the first time I saw it I knew I would love it. Then I talked to the guy, heard the price, and knew it could actually happen. We'll see.

The biggest problem with that Focus (and I am dead serious): no cruise.

www.grassrootsgarage.com

Dan's a great guy, pm me if you want details
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

YOU CAN INSTALL AFTERMARKET CRUISE CONTROL.
http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/?gclid=COqfnabsvp0CFUpK2godElfqTw
I'm sure there are better deals out there, too.

Just sayin'. Don't let that be the only thing to mess up a good deal.
Will

TBR

Quote from: HotRodPilot on October 15, 2009, 01:09:45 AM
www.grassrootsgarage.com

Dan's a great guy, pm me if you want details

Hmm...really looking for a mechanic closer to W-S, you don't remember if they have a loaner car, do you?

TBR

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 15, 2009, 04:31:29 AM
YOU CAN INSTALL AFTERMARKET CRUISE CONTROL.
http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/?gclid=COqfnabsvp0CFUpK2godElfqTw
I'm sure there are better deals out there, too.

Just sayin'. Don't let that be the only thing to mess up a good deal.

Didn't think about that for some reason. Has anyone ever done it themselves before? How difficult is it?

Raza

Quote from: TBR on October 14, 2009, 02:59:05 PM
Yeah, I know all that.

I don't know what I was thinking test driving that thing. From the first time I saw it I knew I would love it. Then I talked to the guy, heard the price, and knew it could actually happen. We'll see.

The biggest problem with that Focus (and I am dead serious): no cruise.

No cruise control!?  That sucks.  Cruise is like the hottest shit ever.  For a daily driver that sees a lot of highway use, it's a must.  People can make fun, but it makes a huge difference in comfort and gas mileage, and it keeps your speed from dropping around bends. 

Get the BMW.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

Quote from: TBR on October 15, 2009, 07:18:23 AM
Hmm...really looking for a mechanic closer to W-S, you don't remember if they have a loaner car, do you?

He doesn't  :(

So I guess thats out...

but Thomasville isn't that far away, it might take 45 min or so to get there with traffic
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

TBR

Quote from: HotRodPilot on October 15, 2009, 09:08:59 AM

He doesn't  :(

So I guess thats out...

but Thomasville isn't that far away, it might take 45 min or so to get there with traffic

My Honda mechanic is in Kernersville, so I don't mind driving for a good mechanic, but I am not going to ask someone else to follow me that far in order to bring me back to campus.

And, actually, the Focus was in Thomasville. If I buy a "new" car, this will be the one. There was a slight crunch in the suspension going over speed bumps, so I'll definitely have a PPI done, but it's looking pretty likely.

2o6

I wouldn't touch the BMW. Yes it's an excellent driver's car, but I would be weary of the price of General matinence.

TBR

Quote from: 2o6 on October 15, 2009, 09:45:49 AM
I wouldn't touch the BMW. Yes it's an excellent driver's car, but I would be weary of the price of General matinence.

I don't think it'd be as bad as most of you all seem to think. More than a Focus, sure, but probably not more than the Prelude. The E36 is a very reliable car, and this particularly one has been well maintained and is the last year. But, it probably isn't going to happen regardless.

J86

Quote from: BimmerM3 on October 15, 2009, 12:05:53 AM
Oh man, cruise control is great for longer drives.

Also, what the hell are you doing driving 16+ hours every weekend? I used to do ~7 every weekend, but damn.

Exaggeration, but not by much!  I raced (boats) in college and we were based in upstate New York, competing each weekend from New Hampshire down to Virginia.  I know a fair bit about 12 passenger vans and minivans :lol:  NYC was 5 hours one way, Annapolis was 6, Western Shore of MD where we raced alot was 8, ODU down in Virginia 12...down and back = a lot of time in the van!

BimmerM3

Quote from: J86 on October 15, 2009, 12:37:56 PM
Exaggeration, but not by much!  I raced (boats) in college and we were based in upstate New York, competing each weekend from New Hampshire down to Virginia.  I know a fair bit about 12 passenger vans and minivans :lol:  NYC was 5 hours one way, Annapolis was 6, Western Shore of MD where we raced alot was 8, ODU down in Virginia 12...down and back = a lot of time in the van!

Well damn, fair enough. I was just driving back to Atlanta every weekend when I lived in Huntsville. That's 3.5hrs each way, so 7 hours a weekend plus whatever I drove when I was at home.

sportyaccordy

6-7K?

Maxima, E36, 240SX, newer Prelude. Why would u get a damn GM sedan from the 90s???

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 15, 2009, 06:33:57 PM
6-7K?

Maxima, E36, 240SX, newer Prelude. Why would u get a damn GM sedan from the 90s???

What? He's looked at two cars: A Focus and a 3-series.

S204STi

Quote from: 2o6 on October 15, 2009, 06:36:18 PM

What? He's looked at two cars: A Focus and a 3-series.

RE-read the OP.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TBR

Well my dad thinks I should just keep the Prelude and avoid driving it (which seems to defeat the point to me, but whatever). I'll probably just wait a couple of months, get some more money saved, and then buy something.

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on October 15, 2009, 10:29:00 PM
Well my dad thinks I should just keep the Prelude and avoid driving it (which seems to defeat the point to me, but whatever). I'll probably just wait a couple of months, get some more money saved, and then buy something.

Yeah, I'd sell it while it's still worth something and go car-free for any period of time you wouldn't be driving.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on October 16, 2009, 05:19:38 AM
Yeah, I'd sell it while it's still worth something and go car-free for any period of time you wouldn't be driving.

A Prelude in the hand is worth two in the bush.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

I would get a second opinion. It's not that hard for a competent shop to change bushings.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on October 16, 2009, 05:19:38 AM

It has 320k on it. Other than the fact that it's a Honda, it has no value left to it. Call me cheap, but I wouldn't pay over a grand for a Prelude with that many miles on it.

I'm sure he could get more for it, but that's a hell of a lot of miles for any car, much less a Honda.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TBR

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 16, 2009, 09:00:32 AM
I would get a second opinion. It's not that hard for a competent shop to change bushings.

He's only charging $150 for labor, the other $650 is for parts.

TBR

Quote from: the Teuton on October 16, 2009, 09:03:15 AM
It has 320k on it. Other than the fact that it's a Honda, it has no value left to it. Call me cheap, but I wouldn't pay over a grand for a Prelude with that many miles on it.

I'm sure he could get more for it, but that's a hell of a lot of miles for any car, much less a Honda.

358k actually. And it's worth more than $1000.

The engine only has 120k on it and it looks very clean. When I go to sell it I'll probably ask $2500-3000 depending on how much worse it gets. Honestly, the noise isn't really noticeable, I'm just really anal about maintenance.

I am not going to drive it until it dies or anything; I'll keep it long enough to appease my dad and then move on. Figure February.

TBR

Quote from: R-inge on October 16, 2009, 09:43:50 AM
Ouchy.

Rather, that's what it would have been. Assuming the struts wouldn't have to be replaced.

The guy is a really good, honest mechanic. I have been through many and he's only the second one I have found that I feel is both competent and trustworthy (but he's cheaper than the other one, plus the other one is in TX).

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on October 16, 2009, 09:43:55 AM

The engine only has 120k on it and it looks very clean. When I go to sell it I'll probably ask $2500-3000 depending on how much worse it gets. Honestly, the noise isn't really noticeable, I'm just really anal about maintenance.

I am not going to drive it until it dies or anything; I'll keep it long enough to appease my dad and then move on. Figure February.

I will be curious to know how much you get for it in the end. 358 kmiles is a butt-ton for any car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Submariner

Quote from: TBR on October 16, 2009, 09:43:55 AM

Even with the engine being 120k miles old, you have to remember that the suspension is 350k miles old, the frame is 350k miles old, the interior is 350k miles old, the body is 350k miles old...and the transmission, did that come with the new engine or was the new engine bolted onto the old transmission?

I'd say 1500 MAX, and only on a good day. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Tave

No way in hell I would pay 3 grand for it if I was in the market for a Prelude.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.