Spy Shots: Caliber

Started by ifcar, August 18, 2005, 07:45:23 PM

TBR

Looks like you might bang your hands shifting into 1st, 3rd, and 5th. Also:
"The diesel engine, also used in the Volkswagen Golf range of vehicles, was apparently chosen due to cost and size; it produces a bit less horsepower than the bottom-end gas engine, but has gobs of torque available from low engine speeds (and out-torques all of the gasoline engines except perhaps the turbo)."

Not likely, there is no way DaimlerChrysler would buy a diesel from VW when they have plenty of good small displacement diesels themselves.

Raghavan

Why the Vee-Dub engines?

BMWDave

That shifter placement will make for some awkward shifts...

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteThat shifter placement will make for some awkward shifts...
It's like the honda elements.

TBR

My concern is about how close it is to the dash, not how high it is placed. The Element's shifter isn't nearly as close to the dashboard:

Tom

It's not close to the dash- probably 2-3 inches away(It looks to be parked in first).  Think about how you place your hand on the shifter- it won't collide with the dash.  

Run Away

The shifter looks like it's in first there anyways.

Ever seen the shifter on a fox on SN95 mustang?

TBR

Yeah, I see that it is in first, it is still too close imho.

Raza

QuoteThat shifter placement will make for some awkward shifts...
Ever seen a Civic Si or Element?  It's really not as awkward as you'd think it would be.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Colonel Cadillac

I think Dodge got full of themselves with that interior. Plastic heaven :rolleyes:

On the otherhand, I would think a manual SUV would be a ton of fun, so I like it.  

ifcar

It's not an SUV, it's a Neon hatchback. The Caliber is replacing the Neon the way the Magnum replaced the Intrepid.  

Fire It Up

Thats one funky shifter.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Tom

Does anyone else think this is really good looking?  And the diesels and 6-speed tranny are welcome changes.

giant_mtb

It looks like a mix of a Malibu Maxx and a Durango.  The design is a little too busy for my tastes.

TBR

I personally think it looks very good, unfortunately it looks like the production model will have a taller greenhouse which might completely screw up the porportions.

giant_mtb

QuoteI personally think it looks very good, unfortunately it looks like the production model will have a taller greenhouse which might completely screw up the porportions.
And it will look even more similar to a Durango and/or the HHR.

TBR

Sorry, I see no resemblence between the HHR and Caliber concept and the only resemblence I see between it and the Durango is expected (similar grill, headlights, and taillights).