Spy Shots: 2008 Hyundai Equus

Started by BMWDave, August 19, 2005, 05:46:16 AM

BMWDave

Spy Shots: 2008 Hyundai Equus

This photo clearly shows that the 2008 Equus will use a rear-wheel-drive configuration when it debuts roughly two years from now. This angle also gives a good indication of this vehicle's size. With a wheelbase of 116 inches, the Equus is nearly as big as a Mercedes S-Class between the wheels.

Not much to see here thanks to the heavy camouflage. Dual-exhaust pipes are barely visible if you look close enough.

This Hyundai looks as though it will be loaded with features. Note the power tilt and telescope steering wheel and extensive steering wheel controls.

Tasteful trim and plenty of room should make this Hyundai's cabin a comfortable place to spend some time.

Although the rest of the styling looks pretty tame, there's a pretty serious-looking grille hiding underneath the camo. And check out those projector beam headlights.

Unless you've visited Korea lately, you've probably never heard of the Hyundai Equus. It's Hyundai's largest, most luxurious sedan, but since its debut in 1999 it's been a domestic market sedan only. That may change in the coming years as the 2008 Hyundai Equus is being designed with U.S. sales in mind.

Our latest spy photos show an Equus sedan that's bigger and more luxurious-looking than the current model. The styling looks as though it will remain on the conservative side, but given that the Equus will likely go up against cars like the Toyota Avalon and Buick Lucerne it shouldn't be a problem. Size shouldn't be an issue either. Our handy spy shooters measured a wheelbase of 116 inches, a full 5 inches longer than the Avalon's 111-inch wheelbase. That should give the Equus plenty of room in back to go along with what looks to be a well-appointed cabin.

The last-generation Equus made the switch to rear-wheel drive and the 2008 model will retain that configuration. Power is expected to come from a 3.8-liter V6 with upwards of 270 horsepower. A five-speed automatic transmission with manual-shift capability will handle the shifts.

Look for this sedan to debut in about two years time, most likely with a new name for its new market.  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

It's not long enough, even with the right styling cues it will probably look like just a squished luxury car. At least it will have good interior space and despite some Q45 similarities on the dash, appears to have impressive styling and quality inside. Toss in the right pricing and good driving dynamics, and it's another winner overall.

BMWDave

I see a little Mercedes CLS with regards to the interior wood:

vs.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

oilfilter

QuoteUnless you've visited Korea lately, you've probably never heard of the Hyundai Equus. It's Hyundai's largest, most luxurious sedan, but since its debut in 1999 it's been a domestic market sedan only.
Never been anywhere near korea.
But I've seen the last gen Equus, in Michigan, two years ago. :lol:
It was probably a test mule since it had manufacturer plates.

But the current (edit- i mean this future car) one looks like a Q45 clone, especially the center console.

oilfilter

On second thoughts, make that the bastard child of the CLS and the Q45...not a pure Q45 clone. My bad.

ifcar

For what it's worth, the Hyundai interior looks better IMO. :D

oilfilter

QuoteFor what it's worth, the Hyundai interior looks better IMO. :D
It does look good, i admit that. pretty nice, flowing design with just the right touch of sportiness in the dials.

(Edit: missed out a word. I've edited almost every post I've made in the last 10 mins. Something is wrong with my brain or fingers.  :wacko: )

TBR

Looks like there is a bit of Benz influence in that dashboard (the CLS for the wood and the new S-class for the shape).

giant_mtb

QuoteI see a little Mercedes CLS with regards to the interior wood:

vs.

The first thing I thought of when I saw that pic was the Tribeca...

Raza

There needs to be a new name.. Equus? How pronounce that?  "Eh kwuss"?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

YES! RWD! this thing  is gonna rock!

CaseyNPham

I thought it looked S-classish on the inside. And a little Lexusy on the outside... There are only so many cars i can say this one looks like.  That's not a bad thing in some cases.
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little