Does driving stickshift really make you a better driver?

Started by sportyaccordy, October 23, 2009, 12:26:16 PM

Rupert

Quote from: saxonyron on October 29, 2009, 04:13:30 PM
Well, I'm leaving my office now, so maybe I'll grit my teeth and try it out.  I'll let you know.  I really avoid redlining it since it really doesn't do the engine any favors, but a redline here or there won't hurt anyone.... right?

Dude, there's no problem at all with redlining an engine, at least one in good condition. That's why there's a redline at all; so you don't go passed it, which can eventually damage the engine. I used to redline the Miata almost daily.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TBR

Quote from: Psilos on October 29, 2009, 04:16:02 PM
Dude, there's no problem at all with redlining an engine, at least one in good condition. That's why there's a redline at all; so you don't go passed it, which can eventually damage the engine. I used to redline the Miata almost daily.

I know that, and I am not sure what your point is. I don't do it for the sake of the engine, I do it to save gas and for my own sanity.

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on October 29, 2009, 04:15:41 PM
Like I said, to me it seems like most automatics hold gears for too LONG. I don't want to go up to 4500 before it shifts if I am just driving around town. That's annoying to me.

So back off the throttle, eh? Also, just because you put the gear lever in a higher gear, doesn't mean the transmission is gonna actually do it for you. The gear the selector is in is not the gear the transmission is in; it's the highest gear it will go in. So, if you have the lever in 3rd and you want to be in 2nd, downshifting to 2nd will get you there. But if the lever is in 3rd, the transmission is in 3rd, and you want to be in 4th, moving the selector to 4th won't necessarily do anything. The transmission will decide when to shift to 4th. Having the selector in 4th gives it the option of 4th only.

Test and see. Put the lever in second, start from a standstill. Accelerate steadily until it shifts to 2nd, then immediately move the lever to 3rd. Keep accelerating at the same steady pace. It won't shift to 3rd until it wants to (right combination of throttle input and engine speed, I believe). You might have to try a few different rates of acceleration. I don't know about new fancy 150 speed automatics, but this is how older ATs work.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on October 29, 2009, 04:18:29 PM
I know that, and I am not sure what your point is. I don't do it for the sake of the engine, I do it to save gas and for my own sanity.

Shit, sorry, replying to Sax. See above...

Cookie Monster

My parents think it's bad for the engine to go over 3k rpm. :facepalm:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Your parents are wrong.

But I see you know that. :lol:

It took a while, but I convinced my folks that I know more about cars than them.  :ohyeah:

TBR

Quote from: Psilos on October 29, 2009, 04:24:17 PM
So back off the throttle, eh? Also, just because you put the gear lever in a higher gear, doesn't mean the transmission is gonna actually do it for you. The gear the selector is in is not the gear the transmission is in; it's the highest gear it will go in. So, if you have the lever in 3rd and you want to be in 2nd, downshifting to 2nd will get you there. But if the lever is in 3rd, the transmission is in 3rd, and you want to be in 4th, moving the selector to 4th won't necessarily do anything. The transmission will decide when to shift to 4th. Having the selector in 4th gives it the option of 4th only.

Test and see. Put the lever in second, start from a standstill. Accelerate steadily until it shifts to 2nd, then immediately move the lever to 3rd. Keep accelerating at the same steady pace. It won't shift to 3rd until it wants to (right combination of throttle input and engine speed, I believe). You might have to try a few different rates of acceleration. I don't know about new fancy 150 speed automatics, but this is how older ATs work.

Seems to shift when immediately when I move it, but maybe I am wrong. I don't exactly drive an AT very much.

NomisR

WTF?  What's with the stupid debate over stupid stuff like AT??!

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on October 29, 2009, 04:30:38 PM
Seems to shift when immediately when I move it, but maybe I am wrong. I don't exactly drive an AT very much.

If it's the old style AT, and it does that, then it would have shifted at the same time or earlier if you had let it shift by itself.

I have a lot of AT experience in a wide range or conditions... Unfortunately. x_x :lol: There's a reason I've only owned one vehicle for five months with an AT.

Rupert

Quote from: NomisR on October 29, 2009, 04:36:24 PM
WTF?  What's with the stupid debate over stupid stuff like AT??!

This post can work with any thread on the board, just replace "AT" with the relevant topic. :lol:

NomisR

Quote from: Psilos on October 29, 2009, 04:40:16 PM
This post can work with any thread on the board, just replace "AT" with the relevant topic. :lol:

:lol:  True

CALL_911

Quote from: the Teuton on October 29, 2009, 01:27:23 PM
BMW's Steptronic is terrible when it comes to shifting for you. Even SMG shifts for you.

I thought Audi's Tiptronic was amazingly good at holding gears.

Tiptronic is no better than Steptronic at holding gears.

Manumatics suck.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

the Teuton

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 29, 2009, 04:59:36 PM
Manumatics suck.

I think I can agree with you on this.

They're really not that fun at all, and they are all too willing to upshift when you need more low-end grunt to get up a hill.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hotrodalex

I got my brother's Saturn up to redline on Sunday. I always wondered how much "performance" the performance switch on the console would provide, so I switched it on and floored it. Got that sucker to redline with ease. :rockon:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: the Teuton on October 29, 2009, 05:01:48 PM
I think I can agree with you on this.

They're really not that fun at all, and they are all too willing to upshift when you need more low-end grunt to get up a hill.
The manumatic in the G35x I drove was excellent. Better than any of the either rubbery or heavyweight shift actions & either super long stroke or weird to engage clutches of any manual Nissan I've driven. And the best part of it was, when I didn't want to shift anymore... just tip the lever over back to drive. :mrcool:

I'm convinced... manual-like ratios for the first few gears with super cruiser top gears, obedient manual shift controls & rev match downshifting can make a decently powered auto car pretty entertaining, with the convenience of automatic shifting available as well. To me, seems like a win-win.

saxonyron

I ran the test this AM on the highway.  Left it in manumatic 3rd and ran it up to redline.  She snapped off a perfect shift at redline (6,800RPM).  I was doing around 95ish at that point, but the engine sounded so glorious I couldn't pay attention to the speedo.  I realized one other reason I don't run to redline too often is that to get there, you really need to be mashing the gas and driving like you stole it.  I'd get pulled over even more than I do already, so I'll be keeping it closer to 5,000 rpm.  :ohyeah:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Rupert

That's one reason why I like slow cars. You can hit redline without breaking the law too much. :lol:

saxonyron

Quote from: Psilos on October 30, 2009, 04:35:29 PM
That's one reason why I like slow cars. You can hit redline without breaking the law too much. :lol:

:lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

MX793

There is something to the old adage that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than drive a fast car slow. 
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

J86

I think that's why I don't really get impassioned about new cars like I do older ones.  With newer cars, the performance is justmostly academic

Rupert

Quote from: J86 on October 30, 2009, 04:54:50 PM
I think that's why I don't really get impassioned about new cars like I do older ones.  With newer cars, the performance is justmostly academic

Yes, fully true.

Rupert

Quote from: MX793 on October 30, 2009, 04:45:11 PM
There is something to the old adage that it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than drive a fast car slow. 

Also fully true.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: saxonyron on October 30, 2009, 04:22:12 PM
I ran the test this AM on the highway.  Left it in manumatic 3rd and ran it up to redline.  She snapped off a perfect shift at redline (6,800RPM).  I was doing around 95ish at that point, but the engine sounded so glorious I couldn't pay attention to the speedo.  I realized one other reason I don't run to redline too often is that to get there, you really need to be mashing the gas and driving like you stole it.  I'd get pulled over even more than I do already, so I'll be keeping it closer to 5,000 rpm.  :ohyeah:

Interesting. I guess I was wrong, I thought my mom's A4 upshifted early in manual mode, but I guess not.

AltinD

Once in a deserted stretch I put the DSG in Sport mode and flored it till 124 MPH (200 kph) then I kind a slowed down and at 112 MPH (180 kph), the car downshifted to the 5th. LOL

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

sportyaccordy

Man I have been driving my mom's RX300 all week... coming back to my Accord has been a welcome change. I was really set on buying an automatic car but I think I would get bored with it very quickly.

dazzleman

But breaking the law is the best part of it.... :huh:

:evildude:

[I'm in BADASS mode again...]
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on November 01, 2009, 03:08:14 PM
I see that.

:lol:

With your attitude about not wanting to break the law too much, it's no wonder you haven't been able to score a nice juicy speeding ticket yet.  That's pretty bogus and lame, dude.... :evildude:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Ha, not for trying. Did I ever tell about the time I passed an undercover cop going 90 on a backroad, cut a lot of apexes, almost passed someone with oncoming traffic, and then got out of the ticket? ;)

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on November 01, 2009, 04:10:34 PM
Ha, not for trying. Did I ever tell about the time I passed an undercover cop going 90 on a backroad, cut a lot of apexes, almost passed someone with oncoming traffic, and then got out of the ticket? ;)

That's pretty impressive.  :praise:

How did you get out of it?