Does driving stickshift really make you a better driver?

Started by sportyaccordy, October 23, 2009, 12:26:16 PM

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on November 01, 2009, 04:26:16 PM
That's pretty impressive.  :praise:

How did you get out of it?

I have no idea. I mean, I was nice to the guy, but that's it. He was an older cop, looked like maybe he wasn't actually out looking for speeders, but since I broke so many laws, he just had to pull me over. I think he was a bit jealous of the awesome time I was having in my sports car. :lol:

I actually increased the speed and level of recklessness when I realized that he was still following me. He was in a Durango, so I had no idea that he was a cop. I thought he was some guy who thought his SUV was as fast as my Miata. It was. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on November 01, 2009, 04:30:39 PM
I have no idea. I mean, I was nice to the guy, but that's it. He was an older cop, looked like maybe he wasn't actually out looking for speeders, but since I broke so many laws, he just had to pull me over. I think he was a bit jealous of the awesome time I was having in my sports car. :lol:

I actually increased the speed and level of recklessness when I realized that he was still following me. He was in a Durango, so I had no idea that he was a cop. I thought he was some guy who thought his SUV was as fast as my Miata. It was. :lol:

:lol:
I must bow to a professional.  That's very impressive.  :ohyeah:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on November 01, 2009, 04:33:34 PM
:praise:

I wish I had your knack for doing crazy shit and getting away with it.  I was always the type of kid who got busted the first time I did anything wrong, while everybody else did it multiple times and got away with it... :banghead:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Psilos on November 01, 2009, 04:30:39 PM

I generally do the same when I'm being followed. I've been rear ended twice, so I run away from tailgaters. They usually don't keep up.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

Quote from: NACar on November 01, 2009, 04:45:41 PM
I generally do the same when I'm being followed. I've been rear ended twice, so I run away from tailgaters. They usually don't keep up.

Well if you're in the Swift, they probably just pass you.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 01, 2009, 04:50:36 PM
Well if you're in the Swift, they probably just pass you.

I was doing well over the Swift's top speed down a twisty two lane in the Rodeo because some jerk wanted to play hide his headlights under my rear bumper, but then I realized the Rodeo is an SUV and might flip over , so I backed it down to about 90. Rodeo wants to be a sports car.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Quote from: NACar on November 01, 2009, 04:45:41 PM

Indeed, especially through twisty stuff in a Miata.

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on November 01, 2009, 04:35:13 PM
I wish I had your knack for doing crazy shit and getting away with it.  I was always the type of kid who got busted the first time I did anything wrong, while everybody else did it multiple times and got away with it... :banghead:

Yes, it does come in handy. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on November 01, 2009, 06:46:10 PM
Yes, it does come in handy. :lol:

Hah, I think that if we'd been the same age and gone to school together, I'd have really liked hanging out with you.  :evildude:

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on November 01, 2009, 06:55:28 PM
Hah, I think that if we'd been the same age and gone to school together, I'd have really liked hanging out with you.  :evildude:

Oh, I dunno about that... Ya know how much of a dirty liberal hippie I am now? I was ten times more when I was 16. :lol:

Nevertheless, I did have some non-hippie friends, so we may have gotten along.

dazzleman

Quote from: Psilos on November 01, 2009, 07:06:26 PM
Oh, I dunno about that... Ya know how much of a dirty liberal hippie I am now? I was ten times more when I was 16. :lol:

Nevertheless, I did have some non-hippie friends, so we may have gotten along.

I don't think you being a dirty liberal hippie would have bothered me then, as long as you were fun to hang out with.

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on November 01, 2009, 07:09:07 PM
I don't think you being a dirty liberal hippie would have bothered me then, as long as you were fun to hang out with.

:lol: :ohyeah:

dazzleman

At the time, I had my 'good' friends and my 'bad' friends.  There was a time and place for each.  When I wanted to step over the line, I hung out with the 'bad' friends.  And if you had helped me pull off major defiance of rules without getting busted, all the better...:rockon:

Raza

Quote from: saxonyron on October 30, 2009, 04:22:12 PM
I ran the test this AM on the highway.  Left it in manumatic 3rd and ran it up to redline.  She snapped off a perfect shift at redline (6,800RPM).  I was doing around 95ish at that point, but the engine sounded so glorious I couldn't pay attention to the speedo.  I realized one other reason I don't run to redline too often is that to get there, you really need to be mashing the gas and driving like you stole it.  I'd get pulled over even more than I do already, so I'll be keeping it closer to 5,000 rpm.  :ohyeah:

Your engine redlines at 6800?  That's higher than I would have guessed.  Mine redlines at 6500, but has hit 7000 on occasion.  I've never hit fuel cutoff. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

saxonyron

Quote from: Raza  on November 03, 2009, 08:17:48 AM
Your engine redlines at 6800?  That's higher than I would have guessed.  Mine redlines at 6500, but has hit 7000 on occasion.  I've never hit fuel cutoff. 

Yup - it's higher than I would have though too, but it sounds amazing up there.  Like a 737 on takeoff.  :cheers:  I know they can handle it, but I  still avoid running it up much past 6,000 very often.  It is harder on the engine and since I want to keep this car a long time, I baby it just a little. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

sportyaccordy

My car's fuel cutoff is at 6800... sounds like a catfight in a giant jar of marbles