Scion tC - Blown fuse

Started by Morris Minor, November 01, 2009, 06:40:16 PM

Morris Minor

My daughter was complaining that the cigarette lighter was not working in the Scion tC. It was easy enough to track down the fuse & replace it (15A low profile), but this has set me wondering... why did it blow in the first place? She uses the socket for the GPS - a Garmin, & occasionally for recharging her iPod, but that's about it.  I saw no evidence of shorting - or spilled beverages. Googling around - it seems this is by no means the first Scion to have blown this particular fuse. I see no evidence of discoloration in the old fuse - possibly it degraded slowly... rather than going bang suddenly. Any ideas?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

S204STi

That fuse gets a lot of use to provide for more circuits than just the cig lighter.  Possibly a momentary spike in demand caused it to blow... or it was just a cheap, defective part.  I bet that's the most likely cause.  Fuses are made so cheaply and I bet they have almost no quality control either.

SVT_Power

I managed to get a screwdriver in mine once before pulling the battery... dumb move I know  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna