What do you know about S-10s?

Started by Rupert, August 19, 2005, 07:25:24 PM

footoflead

QuoteOK. $4000 takes it! It's in great condition with a new top. I just changed the oil. The brakes need bleeding (still air in the lines), it could use a new alternator belt, and a little touch-up paint but that's about it! Where do you live?
:sigh: ...thats a little out of my price range...I'll probably have to buy a car on my own since i wrecked our old truck...otherwise i'd be all over that miata :(  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

What is your price range?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raghavan

QuoteWhat is your price range?
why are you selling the miata? :(  :(  

Rupert

I'm too po' to afford two cars and I'm tired of making payments every month on it. I'd rather have a more practical truck and not make payments. The car is a lot of fun, but it's just gonna sit all winter in Bellingham (where I'm moving on Sept 18). I want something that I can take less meticulous care of and not care about dents and the like. I like the Miata too much to let it sit.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

BMWDave

QuoteI'm too po' to afford two cars and I'm tired of making payments every month on it. I'd rather have a more practical truck and not make payments.
A unimog isnt exactly practical :P -it gets about 8 or 10 mpg.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Raghavan

QuoteI'm too po' to afford two cars and I'm tired of making payments every month on it. I'd rather have a more practical truck and not make payments.
But the miata gets better gas mileage and is more fun to drive.

Rupert

Well, I would probably not get a UNIMOG for just that reason. But it's fun to pretend, yeah?

My driving style has changed a bit as of late. I don't go quite as fast all the time now. Besides, there will be plenty of time for sports cars after college and a decent job. If I had an extra $2000, I'd definitly just buy a truck and keep the Miata cause it's fun. But then I'd stay out of shape and poor since I'd still drive it everywhere and be obsessed with keeping it perfect.

BTW, I added to my above post.

footoflead

QuoteWhat is your price range?
Pretty low at the moment :( ...

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

I got a loan for the car from my credit union. I only pay $121/month.

FlatBlackCaddy

I drove a Late 90's 2wd chev S-10 with the 4.3 and a 5 speed manual. Not a bad truck for getting around but overall i was disappointed with the drivetrain. For the type of truck(2wd, regular cab, short box, manual, biggest motor option, you'd think it would move pretty good), it was awefully slow a weezy, the 4.3 had good torque up to about 3K. After 3K the motor would fall flat on its face and revving it out to 5K seemed like you were beating the life out of it.

I can only imagine what a 4wd auto would feel like.

Tom

Jeep Commanche?  I'm not sure where you live, but as long as cars there are not too rust prone you might consider one.  Though they are fairly hard to find.

And if you don't need a pickup, what about a Cherokee?  Get one of the most durable engines ever made and an extremely capable off roader while getting gas mileage that isn't too terrible, and a reliable, comfortable, ride.  

footoflead

QuoteJeep Commanche?  I'm not sure where you live, but as long as cars there are not too rust prone you might consider one.  Though they are fairly hard to find.

And if you don't need a pickup, what about a Cherokee?  Get one of the most durable engines ever made and an extremely capable off roader while getting gas mileage that isn't too terrible, and a reliable, comfortable, ride.
That would definitly be a better option than a S-10

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

QuoteJeep Commanche?  I'm not sure where you live, but as long as cars there are not too rust prone you might consider one.  Though they are fairly hard to find.

Much.  It sounds like he needs a daily driver to be used sometimes as an offoader.  An SUV makes more sense IMO and will open up options.

footoflead

QuoteJeep Commanche?? I'm not sure where you live, but as long as cars there are not too rust prone you might consider one.? Though they are fairly hard to find.

And if you don't need a pickup, what about a Cherokee?? Get one of the most durable engines ever made and an extremely capable off roader while getting gas mileage that isn't too terrible, and a reliable, comfortable, ride.
Much.  It sounds like he needs a daily driver to be used sometimes as an offoader.  An SUV makes more sense IMO and will open up options.
Cherokee or a jeep (wrangler) would get the job done no sweat :praise:

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

Well, I need a 4WD truck that I can use mostly for going places outside of bicycle range. I'd still prefer a truck, but an SUV would work OK, too. I looked at an Isuzu Trooper tonight for $1800. It was in good, but not great condition. The owner was very up-front about any problems. The only thing that sketches me out is that there was some decent rust on the rear-most cross member (the one with the towing stuff). I'd want to get it re-inforced before towing anything. Other than that, it looks great for $1800.

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

2007 Honda S2000

Tom

QuoteNice Ford Explorer-it must be the only one on the planet with a manual :P
It's not that rare to see an Explorer with a manual.  I'd say maybe 7-10% of Explorers of that vintage are manual.  They are mostly found on the "sport" 2-door models as opposed to the model you posted, however.

Rupert

Those all look OK, but they all have "problems" and I don't have time to deal with them. The $300 Explorer is supposed to be $3000 (I called them).

BMWDave

QuoteThose all look OK, but they all have "problems" and I don't have time to deal with them. The $300 Explorer is supposed to be $3000 (I called them).
Thats only a slight mistake :lol:  

2007 Honda S2000

Rupert

Yeah, I'm sure I could talk them down to $300. ;)

Raghavan

If you want offroad, there's an International Scout II in our neighborhood. :praise:

280Z Turbo

Representin'  :praise:

I didn't look through this whole thread, but if you still want a small pickup, the Ford Ranger is a good choice! My truck is still running very strong after nearly 20 years and when a part does go bad (very rarely) it's cheap to replace.

Raghavan

just get a wrangler. bulletproof 4.0 I6.

footoflead

Quotejust get a wrangler. bulletproof 4.0 I6.
:rockon:  :rockon:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's