What do you know about S-10s?

Started by Rupert, August 19, 2005, 07:25:24 PM

Rupert

Specifically, 1991 S-10s with 4WD and the 4.3L V6. Here is the link. Are there any weak spots I should look for? I'm po', and this truck is still a little steep for me. How are they offroad? I'm not gonna go rock crawling, but I definitly intend to take it where the 4WD is needed. Thanks!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Catman

QuoteSpecifically, 1991 S-10s with 4WD and the 4.3L V6. Here is the link. Are there any weak spots I should look for? I'm po', and this truck is still a little steep for me. How are they offroad? I'm not gonna go rock crawling, but I definitly intend to take it where the 4WD is needed. Thanks!
They're rattle boxes.  I wouldn't buy one.

footoflead

QuoteSpecifically, 1991 S-10s with 4WD and the 4.3L V6. Here is the link. Are there any weak spots I should look for? I'm po', and this truck is still a little steep for me. How are they offroad? I'm not gonna go rock crawling, but I definitly intend to take it where the 4WD is needed. Thanks!
They're rattle boxes.  I wouldn't buy one.
Agreed...there ok as long as you dont go any futher off road than a nice smooth gravel drive way...hit a pot hole and you'll run into problems..There not what your looking for

even though i've very anti-SUV, You might want to look that direction or if you want a truck get a REAL truck..(full size)
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

Overall they are mediocre to bad trucks IMO, but for what it's worth that specific example looks to be taken care of nicely.  The 4.3 is a solid engine, but I would be wary of an older, high-mileage auto tranny, expecially if you are po'.  At 3.6k, that looks pretty expensive, though the market could be different where you're from.  I don't think they were meant to do any offroading; how about a Toyota Pickup?  They're true offroad machines and aren't built crappily.

Rupert

Well, I drove it. It's actually in really good condition, but not really worth the three and a half Gs. It is sort of a rattle box, but the drivetrain is the part I care about. The PO (being sold by a third party... little sketch) put huge tires that rub on it.

A truck is preffered, but around here, they're really expensive unless you want 2WD or really crappy. There is no way I could afford a Toyota that worked well. So I'm thinking Jeep Cherokee from '88-93ish, Isuzu Trooper or Rodeo from a similar era, Dodge Raider/Mitsu Montero from same time, Nissan Pathfinder (same time), or maybe even a Suzuki Sidekick/whatever they call them. My budget is no more than $2200, but if I wanted to keep the same payments but on a different vehicle (which I don't), it's closer to $3200. I've found examples of all of those in my range, but I haven't actually seen any of them, so I have no idea of the condition they're in.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Secret Chimp

You could probably get an oooold Toyota for that price range...

BOOM!

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

I see no pic. And I don't want an ooooooooooooooold Toy. Remember: I want 4WD

Run Away

It's all about the '73-'87 Chevy fullsizes.

Dirt cheap, everything about them. Super simple too.

Rupert

And they're friggin huge with engines that drink gas like I drink beer.

Run Away

Well, what's the point of having a truck then?
The 4.3L isn't that frugal. A 305 isn't that worse.

Rupert

The 4.3 is pretty bad, sure, but we're talking 5 mpg difference (or so). I really don't want a huge old truck anyway... And the point of a truck (for me) is to be able to go places a car can't, haul a bunch of stuff, and give me an excuse to not drive.

Secret Chimp

Heh... get a BRAT and stick some BFG's on it.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Rupert

While I'm at it, I might as well just get a UNIMOG. That'll go anywhere...  :lol:  

TBR

QuoteWell, what's the point of having a truck then?
Yeah it is, the 305 is horrible on gas, even worse than the 350 is, I know a guy that used to have a '84 truck with the 305 and it got 13mpg while a 4.3l S10 will likely get 16-17 mpg.

Run Away

Yeah it is, the 305 is horrible on gas, even worse than the 350 is, I know a guy that used to have a '84 truck with the 305 and it got 13mpg while a 4.3l S10 will likely get 16-17 mpg.
For all you know, that guy's truck was in really bad tune, and probably was. Just becaues ONE guy you know gets poor mileage because his truck is probably poorly tuned doesn't mean all 305s are pigs.

I have 3 uncles on my father's side, all 3 of them are potato farmers, and all 3 have used Chevy trucks their whole life. One of them still has every single pickup he's owned. He told me that his '80 with a 305 gets better mileage than any other of their 1/2 tons (all 350s) and all 5 Suburbans they have ever owned.

BMWDave

QuoteWhile I'm at it, I might as well just get a UNIMOG. That'll go anywhere...  :lol:
Some unimogs costs 4K, or so I have heard.  But the gas part of the equation wont be to your liking :P  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Tom

QuoteWhile I'm at it, I might as well just get a UNIMOG. That'll go anywhere...  :lol:
Some unimogs costs 4K, or so I have heard.  But the gas part of the equation wont be to your liking :P
So what?  He'll have one of the coolest vehicles in existance.  People will come up to him on the street and say, "Hey, aren't you that guy with the Unimog?  Here's five bucks, man!  You rock!"

giant_mtb

QuoteWhile I'm at it, I might as well just get a UNIMOG. That'll go anywhere...  :lol:
So what?  He'll have one of the coolest vehicles in existance.  People will come up to him on the street and say, "Hey, aren't you that guy with the Unimog?  Here's five bucks, man!  You rock!"
LOL!

BMWDave

QuoteWhile I'm at it, I might as well just get a UNIMOG. That'll go anywhere...? :lol:
Yup, a unimog is one of the coolest vehicles around.  But jeep in mind that they are absolute monsters in terms of size.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

For all you know, that guy's truck was in really bad tune, and probably was. Just becaues ONE guy you know gets poor mileage because his truck is probably poorly tuned doesn't mean all 305s are pigs.

I have 3 uncles on my father's side, all 3 of them are potato farmers, and all 3 have used Chevy trucks their whole life. One of them still has every single pickup he's owned. He told me that his '80 with a 305 gets better mileage than any other of their 1/2 tons (all 350s) and all 5 Suburbans they have ever owned.
Another guy that used to own a 305 equipped truck got 12-13 mpg (don't remember for sure) and the same guy that owned the first truck owns a '85 Camaro with the 305 that gets just 14-15mpg (and its engine has been rebuilt).  

Run Away

Either way the lower initial purchase price and probably insurance would offset the few mpg less the fullsizer gets. A freeer breathing intake and exhaust would bump up power and fuel economy, since those things are so restricted from the factory.

When I was looking for a car last summer, I was looking for either a Chevy 1/2 ton (2wd in my case), a 240SX or a Civic. It would have costed me $550 Canadian to insure the pickup for the whole year, and I was 16 at the time.

Rupert

Shit, if I could find a UNIMOG for $2k, I'd do it. But that ain't gonna happen.

footoflead

You gonna keep the miata....

I'll take it off your hands  :D  B)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

BMWDave

QuoteShit, if I could find a UNIMOG for $2k, I'd do it. But that ain't gonna happen.
You never know.  Check out these sits:

http://www.sodetrac.com

http://www.unimog.net/

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

I've only been looking for a little and I saw a unimog for 6,900.  If I see anything around 2K, I'll let you know.

2007 Honda S2000

BMWDave

I found a Unimog in Texas for 1800 firm, but the ad was posted in December.  I think unimogs in the 2K range are out there, you just need to look.

2007 Honda S2000

Rupert

I'll check out the UNIMOGs... BTW, there are only a few old full-size Chevy's for under $3k in the Tryck Trader... Wierd, huh?

BMWDave

QuoteI'll check out the UNIMOGs... BTW, there are only a few old full-size Chevy's for under $3k in the Tryck Trader... Wierd, huh?
Do a lot of checking around on the internet. I read that Unimogs can be found from 2K, for a little rusty, running version from a private seller.  I am sure they have them out there, it will just need to be unearthed :)

2007 Honda S2000

footoflead

Whats gonna happen to the miata....I'll take it off your hands for ya... ;)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Rupert

OK. $4000 takes it! It's in great condition with a new top. I just changed the oil. The brakes need bleeding (still air in the lines), it could use a new alternator belt, and a little touch-up paint but that's about it! Where do you live?