If you could only have one car...

Started by Vinsanity, November 03, 2009, 03:15:44 PM

Onslaught

I've always said I must own a 90-93 MX-5 of some kind. So I already have my only one car.

SVT_Power

Continental GT perhaps.

I don't know about you guys but I don't know if I can live with a 911 Turbo/GT3 on everyday roads. I already find a lot of sports cars too rough for me on bad days with the road conditions around here.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT_Power on November 04, 2009, 12:21:03 PM
Continental GT perhaps.

I don't know about you guys but I don't know if I can live with a 911 Turbo/GT3 on everyday roads. I already find a lot of sports cars too rough for me on bad days with the road conditions around here.
I'm finding that the older I get the less I like that crap. 10 years ago I would laugh at the idea of a "comfortable" car.

SVT666

Quote from: Onslaught on November 04, 2009, 12:32:52 PM
I'm finding that the older I get the less I like that crap. 10 years ago I would laugh at the idea of a "comfortable" car.
Yeah me too.  My SVTF is about as stiff as I wanna get anymore.  I guess that's why I found the Genesis Coupe way too rough but some of the younger guys on the forum didn't.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2009, 07:54:55 AM
One day I might by a table, the other I might need to take my cardboard boxes to the recycling bin, the next I might want to take my dog to the park, then I want to take a weekend to go camping with my friends, and then a few days later I want to take a group of friends to a ballgame, and then a few days later I want to clear some brush from my back yard, and then the following weekend I want to buy a new lawnmower for my snazzy yard....

The phrase "day-to-day" doesn't mean, to me, that you necessarily do each and every one those things every single day, just that it wouldn't be unusual to find yourself doing it on an ordinary day: that it isn't some exceptional, all-important event.
So you would rather sacrifice the enjoyability of your daily drives for occasional functionality?

IDK man.

I have family, friends & U-Haul. Plus I don't really do that much hauling (or driving for that matter). So maybe my own day to day routine colors my choice.

But I wouldn't want to drive an SUV just because maybe 8-10 days out of the year I might have to haul something.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Onslaught on November 04, 2009, 12:32:52 PM

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 04, 2009, 12:39:00 PM
Yeah me too.  My SVTF is about as stiff as I wanna get anymore.  I guess that's why I found the Genesis Coupe way too rough but some of the younger guys on the forum didn't.

Damn it now I feel old  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Cookie Monster

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 04, 2009, 01:12:21 PM
So you would rather sacrifice the enjoyability of your daily drives for occasional functionality?

IDK man.

I have family, friends & U-Haul. Plus I don't really do that much hauling (or driving for that matter). So maybe my own day to day routine colors my choice.

But I wouldn't want to drive an SUV just because maybe 8-10 days out of the year I might have to haul something.
It depends on your lifestyle I guess.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

I must admit though, I never understood why people complained about stiff springs until I hurt my back a few weeks ago. It was just a light sprain. But I was in pain over every jolt. To have to deal with that kind of ride 90% of the time for performance I'll get to access 10% of the time makes no sense. But if my back holds up I will be OK with a relatively stiffly sprung but well damped car.

Tave

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 04, 2009, 01:12:21 PM

Who said anything about that?

A couple points:

1) My commute consists of a 2-3 mile straight shot from my house to the entrance of my school. There are exactly two interesting curves that I can have any fun with, and usually traffic is thick enough that other, speed-related fun is out of the question.

2) What is it that I enjoy, most often, on drives? Sure, I love to wring my car out from time to time, but that's not the only way I enjoy driving. I also like to listen to good music. I like fun company. I like to explore new places. I like to open my windows, even in the dead of winter or heat of summer. I like the ebb of traffic. I like the feeling of freedom and movement I get no matter what kind of car I drive.

3) Some of the most enjoyable drives of my life involved me put-putting around at about 30-40 mph on an unremarkable road in the middle of nowhere.

QuoteBut I wouldn't want to drive an SUV just because maybe 8-10 days out of the year I might have to haul something.

Meh--there's a lot of factors I mentioned besides payload. How is that 911 going to fit 4 friends so you can go to a ballgame? How is it going to take your kids to school and drop your wife off at work on the way? Now, this kind of stuff doesn't need to be fulfilled by a pick-up truck, and really I don't see anything wrong with a person who would choose a car for this hypothetical.

I just think it's kind of silly--every poll on here, no matter what the restrictions, you get people saying, "Oh, I'd buy a 911," or "I'd get a Ferrari." It's kind of a boring, automatic response, isn't it? Sure, I yearn for those rides too. I'd sell my left arm for a Porsche Turbo. I just thought those answers were a little uncreative in the context of the OP.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

NomisR

I don't think I can answer the question on the topic still.  I thought I can do it with one car but still hasn't happened.  I guess an STi may do for now but I don't think I would want to drive one for the rest of my life. 

Why the hell would I only want to own one car for the rest of my life? 

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2009, 01:39:59 PM
Who said anything about that?

A couple points:

1) My commute consists of a 2-3 mile straight shot from my house to the entrance of my school. There are exactly two interesting curves that I can have any fun with, and usually traffic is thick enough that other, speed-related fun is out of the question.

Do you plan to be in that same school for the rest of your life?

2) What is it that I enjoy, most often, on drives? Sure, I love to wring my car out from time to time, but that's not the only way I enjoy driving. I also like to listen to good music. I like fun company. I like to explore new places. I like to open my windows, even in the dead of winter or heat of summer. I like the ebb of traffic. I like the feeling of freedom and movement I get no matter what kind of car I drive.
Well I agree that this is an individual choice. Personally I like good music, but I hate traffic, I hate being distracted by passengers... and often these days driving for me means I'm going to fix something on my car, which I hate to do if it's not a new fun part, or I'm running an errand which is usually not fun. I guess right now driving is just a sour point for me, and a vehicle of utility would remove the last bit of enjoyability I get from it all.
Quote3) Some of the most enjoyable drives of my life involved me put-putting around at about 30-40 mph on an unremarkable road in the middle of nowhere.
My most enjoyable + memorable drives involve open roads & redlines in high gears.

QuoteMeh--there's a lot of factors I mentioned besides payload. How is that 911 going to fit 4 friends so you can go to a ballgame? How is it going to take your kids to school and drop your wife off at work on the way? Now, this kind of stuff doesn't need to be fulfilled by a pick-up truck, and really I don't see anything wrong with a person who would choose a car for this hypothetical.
I conceded to a 911 being a bit extreme, but I def wouldn't go with a truck over something realistically practical like an M5. Plus my wife would have her own car to drop the kids off in. I hate shuttling people around.

QuoteI just think it's kind of silly--every poll on here, no matter what the restrictions, you get people saying, "Oh, I'd buy a 911," or "I'd get a Ferrari." It's kind of a boring, automatic response, isn't it? Sure, I yearn for those rides too. I'd sell my left arm for a Porsche Turbo. I just thought those answers were a little uncreative in the context of the OP.

I think it's strange that given the choice of owning any car ever made for the rest of one's life a person on a car enthusiast message board would choose practicality + utility over the quality of the driving experience. Not to say you're wrong, but to me it would make more sense for a car head to want to own something he/she would enjoy driving.

Plus from my personal experience most driving is not for pleasure but rather for some end purpose for something or someone I don't necessarily want to serve. A 911 Turbo to me represents driving for pleasure and having the freedom of not having to compromise on a car choice for practical means. Not to say your choice is wrong, but I think your POV is wrong. There are people DDing 911s everywhere... I don't think it's that unfathomable. A Ferrari or GT3? Yea I think that would be a stretch.

Tave

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 04, 2009, 02:17:21 PM
Do you plan to be in that same school for the rest of your life?

I don't know what my commutes will be like in the future, but I do know that my commutes are generally not where I get my enjoyment out of driving (not to mention that I already said that I enjoy other aspects of driving besides wringing out my car)

QuoteWell I agree that this is an individual choice. Personally I like good music, but I hate traffic, I hate being distracted by passengers... and often these days driving for me means I'm going to fix something on my car, which I hate to do if it's not a new fun part, or I'm running an errand which is usually not fun. I guess right now driving is just a sour point for me, and a vehicle of utility would remove the last bit of enjoyability I get from it all.
My most enjoyable + memorable drives involve open roads & redlines in high gears.

Sounds like you need to get the F out of NYC every once in awhile. I can see how that would be a drag.

QuotePlus my wife would have her own car to drop the kids off in.

I don't think you can cheat the hypo like that.It says you only get one car and you have to use it for family duties.

QuoteI think it's strange that given the choice of owning any car ever made for the rest of one's life a person on a car enthusiast message board would choose practicality + utility over the quality of the driving experience.

I think it's strange that a person who proposes to be a car enthusiast defines enthusiasm so limitedly. What, I can't be enthused about the car I drive unless it weighs 1,500lbs and built to do nothing but pound out apexes on a track? Enthusiasm ends at performance?

Whould you make fun of me if I started a Bel-Air project? A '59 El Dorado?

Isn't there a reason we have more forums than just "The Fast Lane" on CarSPIN?

QuoteNot to say you're wrong, but to me it would make more sense for a car head to want to own something he/she would enjoy driving.

There you go again, telling me what I will and will not enjoy. :nono:

I'M telling YOU that I would get IMMENSE enjoyment out of owning a Tacoma. In fact, I told you I HAVE gotten immense enjoyment out of owning a Tacoma (or close to it).
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2009, 02:35:35 PM

Isn't there a reason we have more forums than just "The Fast Lane" on CarSPIN?

This is a very good point. I think we should lock all of the forums except for The Fast Lane. That would be a step in the right direction. Don't worry, Aveo can come, too.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

I gotta say, at this point I could see myself sticking with the WRX for a long time.  It meets all my needs quite well.

TBR

Assuming it actually does look a lot better in person.

I'd prefer a Quattroporte or Rapide, but I don't think I'd want to maintain one of those as a DD for 50+ years. (or any car for that matter, but I trust Porsches to be more durable than practically anything else interesting).

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2009, 05:32:33 AM
Meh--I've taken the Aveo places it had no reason to be (and I have the dentz to prove it), but I think I would be much more hesitant to do that if I knew there was 0 possibility that I'd be getting a new car if something happened to it.

Not to mention, the benefits of a larger vehicle reach far beyond offroading. What if you want to take a long trip? What if you want to just throw your crap in your car and move across the country? What if you want to buy a new chair? A big TV? What to take your friends somewhere? The original prompt mentioned that this would have to be a family hauler. What about them?

Says the guy who bought an Explorer? :huh:

I have definitely had to find a ride with someone else because my car could not get to the camping area I wanted to go. I still got there, but it sucks not being able to do that stuff on your own and having to depend on other people.

The idea of seeking outside assistance every time I need to buy, move, or dispose of even a relatively small item is just not worth it. A few weekends ago I spent the better part of two hours breaking down all the cardboard boxes that I used to ship my crap to NC. I wanted to take them to the recycling drop-off but they simply wouldn't fit in my car. It would have been a 5-minute ordeal with a truck.

I like that we're arguing for the opposite of what we own. :lol:

Anyway, yeah, you're right. For someone who has a lot of use for an SUV/truck, that makes more sense. Also, roads in the Rockies are usually shittier than roads in the PNW. My point was that you don't need a giant 4WD to get to the occasional trailhead or camping spot. Beyond that, having a large vehicle is just a convenience thing. If you don't mind dealing with loading big things in small cars, or having a trailer, or borrowing a friend's truck, then a small car isn't unrealistic. Personally, I would rather own a small sports car and deal with it than a big truck (obviously, both is best).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2009, 05:33:35 AM
Is your Explorer your work truck?

Nope. That falls to any one of a few gubment rigs.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: sportyaccordy on November 04, 2009, 06:15:23 AM
1. Rent a van or drive the wife's car

2. When does anyone ever *need* to go offroad? They made roads for a reason....

My only gripe with the 911 is that there's no back seat. If I couldn't get something practical for the wife I would go with an E39 Dinan S2.

I need to go off-pavement quite a bit, in fact. There are a lot of rural people who have a lot of legitimate reasons to be off-pavement.

Rupert

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2009, 01:39:59 PM

I just think it's kind of silly--every poll on here, no matter what the restrictions, you get people saying, "Oh, I'd buy a 911," or "I'd get a Ferrari." It's kind of a boring, automatic response, isn't it? Sure, I yearn for those rides too. I'd sell my left arm for a Porsche Turbo. I just thought those answers were a little uncreative in the context of the OP.

Maybe that's because the 911 is the perfect car. :lol:

TBR

Quote from: Psilos on November 04, 2009, 03:53:50 PM
I need to go off-pavement quite a bit, in fact. There are a lot of rural people who have a lot of legitimate reasons to be off-pavement.

Off-pavement other than a well maintained gravel road?

I live pretty rural, and that's the worse conditions I ever need to drive in.

TBR

Quote from: Psilos on November 04, 2009, 03:55:02 PM
Maybe that's because the 911 is the perfect car. :lol:

It's damn close. I just wouldn't want to commit to no comfortable back seat for that long.

Payman

Rupert

Quote from: TBR on November 04, 2009, 03:55:52 PM
Off-pavement other than a well maintained gravel road?

I live pretty rural, and that's the worse conditions I ever need to drive in.

Yes, as applies to both me and rural people. Remember that conditions are different in different parts of the country. In the Pacific Northwest, west of the Cascades, almost no one has much of a reason to go off-well-maintained-gravel, because there are very very few roads that aren't well-maintained or paved. However, in Idaho, a lot of people live or recreate on crappy dirt roads, because so many of the roads out here are crappy and dirt.

Rupert

Raza

Quote from: Tave on November 04, 2009, 07:54:55 AM
One day I might by a table, the other I might need to take my cardboard boxes to the recycling bin, the next I might want to take my dog to the park, then I want to take a weekend to go camping with my friends, and then a few days later I want to take a group of friends to a ballgame, and then a few days later I want to clear some brush from my back yard, and then the following weekend I want to buy a new lawnmower for my snazzy yard....

The phrase "day-to-day" doesn't mean, to me, that you necessarily do each and every one those things every single day, just that it wouldn't be unusual to find yourself doing it on an ordinary day: that it isn't some exceptional, all-important event.

Well, all those things would be terribly unusual for me on an ordinary day, as I've never done any of those things (except for going to a ballgame, but all my friends have cars).  I stand by my choice.

EDIT:  But I am by no means saying that it's the right choice for you.  Some choices I've seen have been a bit boring, but I won't say that you should get a 599 to drive daily without a backup.  Even with regard to normal cars, there are more fun alternatives that don't really sacrifice too much versatility.  If I could have two cars instead of just one, I'd probably throw in a Volvo V70R or previous generation Legacy 2.5GT or spec.B (wagon if they were sold with a stick, which I think they were for a short period) because it's always going to be more practical to have two cars than one.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Xer0

Quote from: TBR on November 04, 2009, 03:49:16 PM

Assuming it actually does look a lot better in person.

I'd prefer a Quattroporte or Rapide, but I don't think I'd want to maintain one of those as a DD for 50+ years. (or any car for that matter, but I trust Porsches to be more durable than practically anything else interesting).

+1

Everything I've read about this car has been heaps of praise and it will certainly last better than a comparable Maser.  And since Ill be on the inside most of the time, the ugly won't be a problem.

Either of these would work pretty damn well too.

I need 4 doors, good looks and ample luxury, awesome power, and a good sporting ride.  The Mercs awesome V8 rumble might just win out in the end honestly.

cawimmer430

Quote from: NACar on November 04, 2009, 08:05:02 AM
Can a 911 tow a small trailer?

It doesn't even come with tow-hitch at the rear AFAIK.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Payman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 05, 2009, 08:13:28 AM
It doesn't even come with tow-hitch at the rear AFAIK.

You bolt it to the engine block.