The Ford Fusion is Motor Trend magazine's car of the year

Started by Byteme, November 17, 2009, 12:24:18 PM

Byteme

I've never paid much attention to MT COTY, but this selection can't hurt Ford.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On 2:03 pm EST, Tuesday November 17, 2009

DETROIT (AP) -- The Ford Fusion is Motor Trend magazine's car of the year.

The 2010 Fusion beat out 22 competitors, including the redesigned Toyota Prius, the BMW 7-Series and the Chevrolet Camaro.

Motor Trend says the mid-size Fusion offers good performance, comfort and fuel-efficiency. It praised Ford Motor Co. for offering several versions of the Fusion, including a fuel-efficient hybrid and a sporty version with a V-6 engine.

The magazine chooses the car of the year after extensive road testing. To compete, cars had to be new or significantly upgraded for the 2010 model year.

TBR

I like the Fusion, but this is one of most worthless awards in motoring.

SVT666

Go Ford!

I love the new Fusion.  I've driven both the V6 SEL and the 4 banger with the 6 speed manual, and I was very impressed by both.  It's the best mainstream sedan I've ever driven.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Nethead

BlowCougs:  The article that initiated this thread is a work of fiction.  Motor Trend, magazines, the Car of the Year award, the Fusion, Ford Motor Company, fuel-efficient hybrids, and V-6s are products of the author's imagination and are not intended to represent any person, object, or organization past, present, or future.  Events depicted here did not happen.  Any resemblance to real persons, places, or things is entirely coincidental and do not represent the opinions of the management.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
So many stairs...so little time...

GoCougs

LOL - to say this award is worthless doesn't take it near far enough. I don't necessarily believe the conspiracy that automakers buy the award, but the simple fact that only all-new vehicles qualitfy indeed makes this the most worthless award in all of automobiledom.

It's a laughable double fail in this particular instance as the Fusion is not an all-new car - it's six freakin' years old. Besides, the Accord is the better car and most everyone knows it.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on November 17, 2009, 02:01:29 PM
LOL - to say this award is worthless doesn't take it near far enough. I don't necessarily believe the conspiracy that automakers buy the award, but the simple fact that only all-new vehicles qualitfy indeed makes this the most worthless award in all of automobiledom.

Is there any Car of the Year award that's open to older models? The only one I know of that's close-ish is C/D's 10Best.

It's a laughable double fail in this particular instance as the Fusion is not an all-new car - it's six freakin' years old. Besides, the Accord is the better car and most everyone knows it.

Nah, the Fusion is better. It's quieter, it's more fuel-efficient, it did better in crash tests, it costs a heck of a lot less, and it even has higher reliability ratings.

The Accord's advantages are a bit more steering feel and better front and rear seats, but I wouldn't give it the win for those.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on November 17, 2009, 02:09:15 PM
Is there any Car of the Year award that's open to older models? The only one I know of that's close-ish is C/D's 10Best.

I'm not sure, I just know that this award is fail solely because of that reason.

Nah, the Fusion is better. It's quieter, it's more fuel-efficient, it did better in crash tests, it costs a heck of a lot less, and it even has higher reliability ratings.

The Accord's advantages are a bit more steering feel and better front and rear seats, but I wouldn't give it the win for those.

Nah, the Fusion is better than it was but it's a second tier vehicle. I have the sneaking suspicion that the double-speak hullabaloo about the hybrid model is what pushed it over the edge; oh, that and every other car in its class (Accord, Malibu, Aura, Altima) wasn't in the running as they're not not 'all-new.'

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on November 17, 2009, 02:27:48 PM
I'm not sure, I just know that this award is fail solely because of that reason.

Nah, the Fusion is better than it was but it's a second tier vehicle. I have the sneaking suspicion that the double-speak hullabaloo about the hybrid model is what pushed it over the edge; oh, that and every other car in its class (Accord, Malibu, Aura, Altima) wasn't in the running as they're not not 'all-new.'

I'm sure the hybrid was a big part of the reason it won. MT loves hybrids -- it factored into their 2004, 2006, and 2007 selections.

However, the regular Fusions are also strong.

Vinsanity

Besides, the Accord is the better car and most everyone knows it.

Wow, you're totally turning into an Accord troll right before our eyes. How amusing.

That said, I'm kinda impressed with what Ford managed to do with a design that was largely carried over from 2006. Their mild redesigns always looked a little boring to me, but at least it seems that they're rying to make the most out of every small tweak.

I think it would've been better for the award to go to the Camaro, if only for the bigger impact that car made. I guess MT's compensating for giving the award to a $70k sports car last year.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 17, 2009, 02:27:48 PM
It fails in your eyes because it went to a Ford.  More Ford hating from Cougs.  Why am I not surprised. 

QuoteNah, the Fusion is better than it was but it's a second tier vehicle. I have the sneaking suspicion that the double-speak hullabaloo about the hybrid model is what pushed it over the edge; oh, that and every other car in its class (Accord, Malibu, Aura, Altima) wasn't in the running as they're not not 'all-new.'
Ford hating at it's best.  If you think the Fusion is a second tier vehicle then you are even more full of shit then you are in the EcoBoost thread.  I've driven two variations of the Fusion and I've driven an Accord EX-L.  The Fusion SEL I drove was slightly better then the Accord in almost every way.  The Accord is a great car, but it's been beat by the Fusion.  How did the Fusion you drove compare to the Accord?  Oh right, you've never driven the new Fusion.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 17, 2009, 03:02:30 PM
Wow, you're totally turning into an Accord troll right before our eyes. How amusing.

That said, I'm kinda impressed with what Ford managed to do with a design that was largely carried over from 2006. Their mild redesigns always looked a little boring to me, but at least it seems that they're rying to make the most out of every small tweak.

I think it would've been better for the award to go to the Camaro, if only for the bigger impact that car made. I guess MT's compensating for giving the award to a $70k sports car last year.
I'm not arguing, I'm just wondering how you figure the Camaro made a bigger impact? 

GoCougs

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 17, 2009, 03:02:30 PM

This is the most worthless post in the thread.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 17, 2009, 03:29:38 PM
I'm not arguing, I'm just wondering how you figure the Camaro made a bigger impact? 

It has so far maintained a high, steady sales pace at high transaction prices. It's one of GM's best-selling products. That's a big impact.

Vinsanity

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 17, 2009, 03:29:38 PM

Iconic muscle car returns after a 7-year hiatus that interrupted 35 continuous years of production. If this happened with the Mustang, no one would have to explain the magnitude of the impact.

And that's on top of the rebirth of GM that the car is supposed to symbolize.

GoCougs

But yes, the Camaro should've won the award, or in the least was far more befitting of it than the Fusion.

TBR

What is your basis for saying the Accord is better than the Fusion? The badge? Just asking as the one person on here who as almost certainly driven both seems pretty confident that the Ford is the better car.

Vinsanity

Quote from: GoCougs on November 17, 2009, 03:31:18 PM
This is the most worthless post in the thread.

no, THIS is the most worthless post in the thread.

Byteme

So I guess the part of the article that stated "To compete, cars had to be new or significantly upgraded for the 2010 model year."  escaped your comprehension?

GoCougs

Let's be serious - M/T lists as one of its "critical" stats for vehicles tests "lb of CO2 per mile."

Payman

MT's COTY award is probably the most recognized award out there. Why do you guys think it's such a farce? Because it goes to new or significantly improved models only? Yes, they've had some questionable picks over the years, but the Fusion is a great choice.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

What I don't like about the Fusion (I4 automatic):

-Low rear seat
-Steering weight feels a little unnatural
-Old fashion prop rod with no padding on it
-Engine bay looks sloppy compared to its Asian rivals...although it's more accessible
-Too isolated
-That's about it

Otherwise, it's a fantastic midsize car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CJ

The way I see it, prop rods are just fine.  They're less likely to fail. 

ifcar

"-Low rear seat"

It's still one of the better midsize sedans in that area.

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on November 17, 2009, 07:04:09 PM
Let's be serious - M/T lists as one of its "critical" stats for vehicles tests "lb of CO2 per mile."

I don't disagree that COTY is a BS award. But that doesn't mean that the Fusion isn't actually deserving of it.

sparkplug

Ford has an awesome car in the fusion. You can get with a base I4, a V6, in AWD, and a hybrid version. Sorry, no toilet bowl option.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Nethead

Quote from: GoCougs on November 17, 2009, 07:04:09 PM

BlowCougs is right!  Pounds of Carbon Dioxide are only important to those who breathe air, so who gives a fuck?  Right?
So many stairs...so little time...

GoCougs

Quote from: TBR on November 17, 2009, 10:42:21 PM
I don't disagree that COTY is a BS award. But that doesn't mean that the Fusion isn't actually deserving of it.

In a relative sense there are a number of cars more deserving IMO; Camaro, 370, Genesis Coupe, and Legacy being the short list IMO.