Slowest car you've ever driven?

Started by 2o6, November 18, 2009, 05:33:20 PM

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on November 20, 2009, 09:28:34 PM
Misfire!? Did you return it?

Sometimes it happens when the engine is bogging down from being overburdened or in the wrong gear.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on November 20, 2009, 09:36:39 PM
Sometimes it happens when the engine is bogging down from being overburdened or in the wrong gear.

It shouldn't!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

2o6

Quote from: The Pirate on November 20, 2009, 09:39:17 PM
It shouldn't!

^^  :hesaid:

There are plenty of slow, underpowered cars in Europe. I don't think a single one of them misfires.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on November 20, 2009, 09:36:39 PM

Yeah, I don't think so.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Quote from: Psilos on November 20, 2009, 10:19:03 PM
Yeah, I don't think so.

Drive up a steep hill in fifth gear at 20 mph and tell me what happens. I did it for schnitz and giggles. My engine started bogging.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on November 20, 2009, 10:36:01 PM
Drive up a steep hill in fifth gear at 20 mph and tell me what happens. I did it for schnitz and giggles. My engine started bogging.

And that is not a misfire.  A misfire is a spark plug not firing or firing out of order.  It will give a CEL.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Yeah, I've never experienced that in PlastiCar then.

Laconian

Probably this F-150 that I'm borrowing from my dad. 5.8 liters of thirsty V8, and yet it can barely get out of its own way. I do give it credit for not losing what little poke it had while burdened with 1600 lbs of gravel. It just chugs along like the Little Engine that Could.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on November 20, 2009, 10:36:01 PM

Ha, yeah, bogging is a no shit of course it happens; that's how gears work. Misfire is a problem that no stock engine should experience.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on November 20, 2009, 11:31:26 PM
Probably this F-150 that I'm borrowing from my dad. 5.8 liters of thirsty V8, and yet it can barely get out of its own way. I do give it credit for not losing what little poke it had while burdened with 1600 lbs of gravel. It just chugs along like the Little Engine that Could.

How the hell do you have a 5.8L V8 that is that slow?

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 21, 2009, 12:08:44 PM

If it's from the 1980's, I believe it. Gov't restrictions happened so fast that automakers weren't able to adapt. You ended up with large engines producing little amounts of HP.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on November 21, 2009, 12:10:42 PM

If it's from the 1980's, I believe it. Gov't restrictions happened so fast that automakers weren't able to adapt. You ended up with large engines producing little amounts of HP.

Like 136hp from a 351ci V8.  :rockon:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

My 1987 Citro?n 2CV Sp?cial. 602cc & 32hp. I had to sell it before I moved here.

The worst drive of my life was in the 2CV. I had to leave the work early one day with some kind of stomach flu. I had a blinding headache & urgently needed to throw up & allow an explosive bowel evacuation.  That five miles from the station to my house seemed like an eternity. I manage to hold it in though; it's bad form to shit oneself in a 2CV. If it had been the Volvo I would have let fly.

It looked very like this one - except the steering wheel was on the correct side & the headlights were red instead of chrome.

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: BimmerM3 on November 21, 2009, 12:08:44 PM
5.8L... making 210hp. Under ideal circumstances. It's probably much less than that, now.

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 21, 2009, 07:06:38 PM
My 1987 Citro?n 2CV Sp?cial. 602cc & 32hp. I had to sell it before I moved here.

The worst drive of my life was in the 2CV. I had to leave the work early one day with some kind of stomach flu. I had a blinding headache & urgently needed to throw up & allow an explosive bowel evacuation.  That five miles from the station to my house seemed like an eternity. I manage to hold it in though; it's bad form to shit oneself in a 2CV. If it had been the Volvo I would have let fly.

It looked very like this one - except the steering wheel was on the correct side & the headlights were red instead of chrome.

OMG, awesome! How was it to drive? I've been promised a drive in one next summer. Can't wait, I hear the handling is "entertaining" in its own way.

Laconian

Weren't the headlights square for the 70's and 80's?

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on November 21, 2009, 08:11:30 PM
OMG, awesome! How was it to drive? I've been promised a drive in one next summer. Can't wait, I hear the handling is "entertaining" in its own way.
It was very comfortable: the seats were well designed. The steering was heavy & the wheel was angled upwards - a bit truck-like.   The most daunting thing was the push-pull gear change that stuck out of the dashboard; it was like an umbrella handle that slid backwards & forwards - you can see it in the photo. IIRC, first gear was back towards the rear, out on a left branch on its own. Second was forwards, in the same plane as third, & fourth was out on another branch - in the same plane as reverse.

It was very slow, more than 30 seconds to 60, I think, and it topped out at just over 70mph. It had the aerodynamics of a barn & at speed the air resistance was like a brick wall. Once it warmed up, the only way to keep up with traffic was to floor the throttle when moving off then up through the gears. The engine was unburstable & would run all day at WOT. The suspension was incredible, super-long travel (linked front to rear), with a cushioned ride that would insulate you from any crappy road surfaces - It was designed for the primitive (or non-existent) roads of post-war France.

My wife drove it & did not find it much fun; the charming eccentricity was lost on her. But it was good training: she's undaunted by any manual shift car.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on November 21, 2009, 08:12:18 PM
Weren't the headlights square for the 70's and 80's?

They certainly were for the '70s, but at some stage in the 80's they went back to circular. I bought mine new & remember that the red plastic casings faded to a different color of red from the body. There was a knob under the dash which allowed you to adjust the headlight angle up or down to compensate for loads.

Laconian

Sounds awesome. I love that ugly little car. I even found a funky T-shirt featuring one in Barcelona.

TBR

1994 Dodge Shadow with the 2.2l and 3AT

Heaven forbid you turn on the A/C, it seems to cut the cars already modest 93hp in half. This is why I am always so high on the Neon; it was just so much better (no wonder they changed the name). Probably the most improved car ever.

chevyguy06

06' Aveo..I did get it up to 100...but took 10 minutes to do so :P
'05 Ford Escape XLT V6

The Phantom

Either my mom's old '79 Fairmont wagon or my wife's old '95 Avenger.  Both just gasped for life.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."