Are warnings recorded?

Started by Tom, August 20, 2005, 08:08:26 PM

Tom

Last year I got what you might call a warning.  I was new to driving and mistakenly forgot to turn on my headlights at night in a brightly lit parking lot.  Before I exited onto the main road, I realized they weren't on, fixed the problem and went on my way with no harm done.  Or so I thought.  An officer gives me the light treatment, and maybe even the siren treatment, but it was so long ago I forget.  He takes my info and comes back later telling me he could have written me a ticket, but will let me go.  My question is, is this warning recorded in the computer?  When I get pulled over next, will the warning be visible to the cop when he runs a search?  If the cop is deciding whether to ticket me or not, assuming I haven't commited a major crime, a prior warning could be the factor that makes him write a ticket instead of letting me go I'm thinking.  If Catman or City Pig could respond, I'd appreciate it, along with anyone else for that matter.  Thanks!

footoflead

Lucky...the coppers around here rarely give warnings...if they stop you, you better expect a ticket cause their givin you one :rolleyes: ..so far i havent had a ticket *crosses fingers
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Tom

QuoteWhere you be?
Outside of Philadelphia.

dazzleman

This was discussed in my citizen's police academy class.

The officers said that warnings are held for a month, in case you get stopped again within that time.  I believe they are held only by the local department that gave you the warning.  They are never officially a part of your driving record.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Tom

QuoteThis was discussed in my citizen's police academy class.

The officers said that warnings are held for a month, in case you get stopped again within that time.  I believe they are held only by the local department that gave you the warning.  They are never officially a part of your driving record.
Thanks, dazzleman.  

I'm a free man :rockon:  

footoflead

QuoteThis was discussed in my citizen's police academy class.

The officers said that warnings are held for a month, in case you get stopped again within that time.  I believe they are held only by the local department that gave you the warning.  They are never officially a part of your driving record.
Thanks, dazzleman.  

I'm a free man :rockon:
:lol:  :rockon:  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Catman

QuoteWhere you be?
Where have you been?

Tom, the warnings we write are saved in our database forever and show up when your name is referenced.  Not sure what the RMV does.

Tom

QuoteWhere you be?
Where have you been?

Tom, the warnings we write are saved in our database forever and show up when your name is referenced.  Not sure what the RMV does.
Thanks, Mr. Catman.  Well, that's bad news :(  

Catman

QuoteWhere you be?
Where have you been?

Thanks, Mr. Catman.  Well, that's bad news :(
Not really, it's not something that most of us would care about, especially for such a lame violation.  I've have never given people more than a friendly advisory for that.

850CSi

What if there's a ticket on my record for not properly signalling... :(

City Pig

I'm around....Sometimes. Been a busy summer with family stuff, work stuff, house stuff....you know. I check in and lurk but only post when I feel it's worthwhile.

Around this area warnings aren't kept on file anywhere unless you get a 72 hour equipment warning. Then magically turns into a ticket if you don't get the piece of equipment fixed within....72 hours!!!! Wow, ironic. Other than that, warnings aren't worth the paper they're written on...Which is none.

L. ed foote

QuoteI'm around....Sometimes. Been a busy summer with family stuff, work stuff, house stuff....you know.
:rolleyes:

Yeah, right...  We know where you've REALLY been..

:lol:

Seriously, welcome back!  :praise:  
Member, Self Preservation Society

dazzleman

QuoteI'm around....Sometimes. Been a busy summer with family stuff, work stuff, house stuff....you know.

Foote, were you ever lucky enough to get off with a written warning rather than a ticket?  So far, my record is spotless when it comes to warnings -- I've never gotten a written warning, only tickets.  I don't even think New York State has written warnings, but I could be wrong.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

Nah, I've never gotten a warning either.  Not even about a headlight that went out less than 24 hours before I got the ticket.   :rolleyes:  

dazzleman

QuoteNah, I've never gotten a warning either.  Not even about a headlight that went out less than 24 hours before I got the ticket.   :rolleyes:
I think I'm the only guy I know who was never gotten off with either a verbal or written warning.  Every time I've gotten pulled over, I've gotten a ticket.

On the other hand, I've been very good at consistently speeding, and getting pulled over very infrequently for it.  Some of my friends who have gotten off with warnings have still gotten more tickets, overall, than I have because they've gotten pulled over a lot more times.  So I don't think I have a lot to complain about, but it would be nice to get off with a warning just once rather than a ticket.  B)

The headlight ticket is just bad luck, man.  I know people who've driven for months with burned out headlights or breaklights, and not gotten pulled over.  And you get pulled over in just 24 hours.  You must be a cop magnet.  :lol:  

I trust that ticket didn't go on your record -- I think you have a certain amount of time to get it fixed before it adds points to your license.  We know you don't need any more of those.... :lol:

L. ed foote

QuoteFoote, were you ever lucky enough to get off with a written warning rather than a ticket?  So far, my record is spotless when it comes to warnings -- I've never gotten a written warning, only tickets.  I don't even think New York State has written warnings, but I could be wrong.
Nope, never have gotten a written warning, at least not to my recollection.  If I'm pulled over, I expect to get cited.

I'd love to know what it takes to get a warning, they're a lot less expensive than a ticket.  :lol:  

Catman

QuoteFoote, were you ever lucky enough to get off with a written warning rather than a ticket?  So far, my record is spotless when it comes to warnings -- I've never gotten a written warning, only tickets.  I don't even think New York State has written warnings, but I could be wrong.
Nope, never have gotten a written warning, at least not to my recollection.  If I'm pulled over, I expect to get cited.

I'd love to know what it takes to get a warning, they're a lot less expensive than a ticket.  :lol:
Our officers write more warnings than cites.

L. ed foote

QuoteFoote, were you ever lucky enough to get off with a written warning rather than a ticket?  So far, my record is spotless when it comes to warnings -- I've never gotten a written warning, only tickets.  I don't even think New York State has written warnings, but I could be wrong.

Our officers write more warnings than cites.
I suspect it's the other way around with the NYPD, and to a lesser extent NYSP

City Pig

Hey!!! Have you been stalking me??????

:ph34r:  

TurboDan

QuoteI trust that ticket didn't go on your record -- I think you have a certain amount of time to get it fixed before it adds points to your license.  We know you don't need any more of those.... :lol:

Nah, it doesn't go on your record.  If you wanted to avoid paying it, you could've gone to court and proved you replaced the bulb (which I did the next morning anyway  :rolleyes: ), but I wasn't going to deal with that hastle so I just paid it online with my credit card.  It's basically a parking ticket, so there's no points/record of it, I don't think.

Haha, and actually I don't have any points on my license.  The last ticket I got was in NJ, so I'm all clear on my NYS license.  :rockon:  :praise:  

BartsSVO

I've only received a written warning once and that was over 4 years ago now. It clearly stated on the back that it isn't reported to the state DMV but made no other mention about how long the local PD would keep it in their own records. Since I now go to church with a couple of cops in that department I'll ask them to satisfy my own curiosity.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

Raza

I've never gotten a written, but I've gotten a verbal, but it was more like "This isn't going to happen again, right?" and then he handed me my license and drove off.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteI've only received a written warning once and that was over 4 years ago now. It clearly stated on the back that it isn't reported to the state DMV but made no other mention about how long the local PD would keep it in their own records. Since I now go to church with a couple of cops in that department I'll ask them to satisfy my own curiosity.
I think my heart would stop if I was ever to be in a church with cops.  That's like my two biggest fears put together.  All it would need is snakes, an alligator, and a shark, and it would possibly be my worst nightmare.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BartsSVO

QuoteI've only received a written warning once and that was over 4 years ago now. It clearly stated on the back that it isn't reported to the state DMV but made no other mention about how long the local PD would keep it in their own records. Since I now go to church with a couple of cops in that department I'll ask them to satisfy my own curiosity.
I think my heart would stop if I was ever to be in a church with cops.  That's like my two biggest fears put together.  All it would need is snakes, an alligator, and a shark, and it would possibly be my worst nightmare.
LOL...actually the couple of them that go to my church aren't all that bad. Here's one that'll really get you going, a former co-worker of mine is a part time Sheriff's deputy in an adjacent county and also serves as a pastor of a church right down the road from me!! :D
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT