VW coup? confirmed

Started by BMWDave, August 20, 2005, 08:10:15 PM

BMWDave

VW coup? confirmed

We were first with the news in issue 855 - and now Volkswagen has come clean about its plans for a Passat coup?.

The firm's chief executive, Wolfgang Bernhard, confirmed the car has been given the green light during a dealer conference in America. Salesmen were even shown a top-secret picture of the model, which will sit between the Passat saloon and the flagship Phaeton.

The newcomer will be powered by a range of engines, with entry-level cars getting the Golf GTI's 2.0 FSI motor. More powerful petrol units will be available, including a V6 range-topper. A high-performance version of the 3.0-litre TDI diesel will also be offered, as will VW's DSG sequential manual gearbox and 4MOTION all-wheel-drive system.

Although built on the Passat platform, the coup? will feature sportier suspension for more involving handling. Outside, the nose will take inspiration from the Concept C convertible, which was unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show last year. A shorter rear overhang and sloping roofline help create a sporty profile, but the big surprise will be the doors. Despite the coup? look, the new VW will actually be a four-door, with the rear handles likely to be hidden in the C-pillar, as on the Alfa 156.

But while the German manufacturer has confirmed a Passat-based coup? will be built, sources say the firm is still undecided on whether to make an SUV to rival the Land Rover Freelander.
Mat Watson

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Tom

Any pics?  I remember CWW did a photshop on something similar...

BMWDave

QuoteAny pics?  I remember CWW did a photshop on something similar...
No Pics, sorry. :(  

2007 Honda S2000

JYODER240

I'm actually kinda of surprised by this. I first heard this from Road and Track in the September 2002 issue, but haven't heard anything about it since. I'd love to see something like this come from Audi too, perhaps a two-door S4.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SJ_GTI

QuoteI'm actually kinda of surprised by this. I first heard this from Road and Track in the September 2002 issue, but haven't heard anything about it since. I'd love to see something like this come from Audi too, perhaps a two-door S4.
According to reports there is also an A4 based coupe in the works at Audi based on the Nuvolari concept.

It won't be the same mechanically as this VW coupe I don't think, since the Passat and A4 no longer share a chassis.

Raza

QuoteI'm actually kinda of surprised by this. I first heard this from Road and Track in the September 2002 issue, but haven't heard anything about it since. I'd love to see something like this come from Audi too, perhaps a two-door S4.
According to reports there is also an A4 based coupe in the works at Audi based on the Nuvolari concept.

It won't be the same mechanically as this VW coupe I don't think, since the Passat and A4 no longer share a chassis.
?

When did that happen?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

?

When did that happen?
I've heard of that as well, though I am not sure when it happened.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

If it's true, then it would be the 2006 redesign on a non-A4 chassis.  

SJ_GTI

?

When did that happen?
From Edmunds:

What We Know: Audi will be setting a small record of sorts by putting all three of the concepts that it debuted at the 2003 Geneva Motor Show into production. With the Pikes Peak transforming into the Q7 SUV and the Le Mans supercar also scheduled to appear some time around 2008, the company has also given the green light to an A4 coupe based on the Nuvlorai quattro concept. While the similarities between the two vehicles will be strong, the 2007 A4 coupe will tone down some of the Nuvolari's more daring features. It's doubtful, for instance, that the latter's aluminum spaceframe chassis is going to be cleared for production. No word yet on additional specifics, but we do know that it will debut as part of the A4 next full redesign that is scheduled for the 2007 model year.

Raza

?

When did that happen?
From Edmunds:

What We Know: Audi will be setting a small record of sorts by putting all three of the concepts that it debuted at the 2003 Geneva Motor Show into production. With the Pikes Peak transforming into the Q7 SUV and the Le Mans supercar also scheduled to appear some time around 2008, the company has also given the green light to an A4 coupe based on the Nuvlorai quattro concept. While the similarities between the two vehicles will be strong, the 2007 A4 coupe will tone down some of the Nuvolari's more daring features. It's doubtful, for instance, that the latter's aluminum spaceframe chassis is going to be cleared for production. No word yet on additional specifics, but we do know that it will debut as part of the A4 next full redesign that is scheduled for the 2007 model year.
I don't see anything there that says no Passat chassis.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

It's true. The passat rides on the new Jetta platform, whereas the A4 doesn't.

SJ_GTI

QuoteI don't see anything there that says no Passat chassis.
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I thought you didn't know about the A4 coupe, not the Passat separation from the A4/A6 chassis. I thought that was common knowledge to be honest.

Raza

QuoteI don't see anything there that says no Passat chassis.
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I thought you didn't know about the A4 coupe, not the Passat separation from the A4/A6 chassis. I thought that was common knowledge to be honest.
I'd heard nothing about it.  Considering the new Passat looks so much like the new A4, I figured it was still on the same chassis.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i