Ding...Ding...Ding...

Started by 280Z Turbo, August 20, 2005, 10:34:13 PM

280Z Turbo

I'm glad that the Z doesn't have this. It makes it very hard to vacuum the interior and listen to the radio at the same time.

It doesn't remind me of anything because I take it for granted.

Run Away

For me, yes because I have been know to lock my keys in the car.

What I don't like is the seatbelt chime. I always put it on so there is no need to remind me and it goes on for too long. I like to listen for unusual noises and stuff at startup especially and it's hard to do that with the chime going BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

ifcar

Then just buckle your seatbelt. :rolleyes:

There was a poster on C/D complaining about his Jetta's seatbelt chime, hilarious thread. He said he should be allowed to fulfill his destiny and the chime was obstructing his liberty, something like that. :D

saxonyron

My 94 Cherokee had a buzzer that sounded like an electric razor - drove me nuts.  At least in the last 10 yrs the damn buzzing has been replaced by dinging on most all the cars.  My A6 has an OK ding - best part is that if you leave the door open for over a minute or so, it stops.  They figure the driver doesn't need to be constantly reminded his key is in the ignition and the door is left open - I guess they assume he could figure that out himself.  :blink:

Runaway - I know what you're talking about - you'd like to be able to hear if your engine is doing the low oil click, or a belt is slipping, but all you can hear is the 90 decibel buzzer.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

I think mine makes a sound and then after a few seconds it stops.  Your radio doesn't work without the ignition on?  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Raza, you have to have the key turned to ACC for the radio to work. And the dingy will ding if the key is in the ignition with the door open.

Does your VW have the 3 tone dinger like my brother's Jetta does? In his car, I believe you can have the door open and radio on without the dinger.

saxonyron

I think all the Audi/VW's have the no key/door open thing now.  I can run the radio with no key at all and the doors open - you only lose the steering wheel controls.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

footoflead

QuoteI think all the Audi/VW's have the no key/door open thing now.  I can run the radio with no key at all and the doors open - you only lose the steering wheel controls.
In our new truck..after you kill the engine the radio keeps playing until you open the door
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

QuoteI think all the Audi/VW's have the no key/door open thing now.  I can run the radio with no key at all and the doors open - you only lose the steering wheel controls.
In our new truck..after you kill the engine the radio keeps playing until you open the door
My friend's Jimmy does that. I pull open his door just to piss him off. :lol:  

footoflead

QuoteI think all the Audi/VW's have the no key/door open thing now.? I can run the radio with no key at all and the doors open - you only lose the steering wheel controls.
My friend's Jimmy does that. I pull open his door just to piss him off. :lol:
:lol:  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

QuoteRaza, you have to have the key turned to ACC for the radio to work. And the dingy will ding if the key is in the ignition with the door open.

Does your VW have the 3 tone dinger like my brother's Jetta does? In his car, I believe you can have the door open and radio on without the dinger.
I honestly don't remember.  It's one of those things that you don't really pay attention to.  For me, I just press the radio on button and it works, regardless of ignition postion.  Aircon, however, is a different story, of course.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

QuoteThen just buckle your seatbelt. :rolleyes:

There was a poster on C/D complaining about his Jetta's seatbelt chime, hilarious thread. He said he should be allowed to fulfill his destiny and the chime was obstructing his liberty, something like that. :D
:D  :P  I loved that thead. :lol:  

SargeMonkey

On our 81 civic it goes, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......... But its for the door.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

93JC

QuoteMy 94 Cherokee had a buzzer that sounded like an electric razor - drove me nuts.
:lol:

I love the buzzer. So much more authority behind it than those pansy-ass dingers. It's like the difference between an '80s talking computer that says "your door is ajar" and another that says "shut the door, asshole!"

:praise:  

280Z Turbo

The Ranger has a buzzer even louder than an XJ, I think. It's horrible!

SargeMonkey

We normaly kill them, but we can't find it on our "new" civic, but hell we may get another next week.
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

Run Away

QuoteThen just buckle your seatbelt. :rolleyes:
That doesn't accomplish anything.

It beeps 5 times when you first start the car, regardless if I have my seatbelt on already or not.

ifcar

280Z Turbo

QuoteOdd system. <_<
Not really. I think they all do that now.

ifcar

They typically only beep if the seatbelt is unbuckled, or if the weight sensor records something sitting on the passenger seat as an occupant. Of course, there are exceptions to almost everything.

giant_mtb

QuoteThey typically only beep if the seatbelt is unbuckled, or if the weight sensor records something sitting on the passenger seat as an occupant. Of course, there are exceptions to almost everything.
I've always wondered if seats have sensors in them so the system knows to beep or not...what cars have that?

ifcar

giant_mtb

Hmm...none of the cars I've ridden in have done that.

ifcar

With how much weight on the front passenger seat?

93JC

QuoteHmm...none of the cars I've ridden in have done that.
New cars are the only ones cursed with this nannying crap.

Older cars usually only ping when a door is open while the key is in the ignition or if the headlights are on.  :praise:  

280Z Turbo

QuoteHmm...none of the cars I've ridden in have done that.
New cars are the only ones cursed with this nannying crap.

Older cars usually only ping when a door is open while the key is in the ignition or if the headlights are on.  :praise:
It's like I always say...

The best cars have already been built.

93JC

Raza

QuoteOdd system. <_<
Not really. I think they all do that now.
Nope.  My Passat doesn't make a sound as long as the seatbelt is buckled (but will continue to ding if the seatbelt is not buckled) and my E320 had a buzz for a few seconds and then stopped.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

QuoteWith how much weight on the front passenger seat?
Well the weight of a person...125+ pounds.