Motorcycles in Winter?

Started by Pancor, August 21, 2005, 02:32:44 PM

Pancor

Something I've always wondered, are there any laws regarding the use of motorcycles in winter?  I realize people ride in very cold weather, but this is on pavement.  I've ridden a dirt bike in the snow and it was interesting, to say the least.   I'd imagine a street bike in light or packed snow would be very dangerous, but I've never actually heard if it is illegal or not.   Does anyone know?

footoflead

QuoteSomething I've always wondered, are there any laws regarding the use of motorcycles in winter?  I realize people ride in very cold weather, but this is on pavement.  I've ridden a dirt bike in the snow and it was interesting, to say the least.   I'd imagine a street bike in light or packed snow would be very dangerous, but I've never actually heard if it is illegal or not.   Does anyone know?
I dont know if its illegal...But it sure is stupid to ride in snow if you ask me...

There arent laws against stupidity ;)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raza

There are no laws against it, as far as I know, and it's as safe as driving a sports car, if done properly, and with the right bike.  Something like a BMW GS Dakar would handle the snow a whole lot better than a Ducati 999R.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SargeMonkey

No, but I wouldn't, but if you have a set of studded tires...
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

giant_mtb

Deffinitely legal.  I've never seen a cruiser or harley ridin' around here in the winter (go figure) but I do know that it's legal because I've heard stories.  :P  

footoflead

QuoteDeffinitely legal.  I've never seen a cruiser or harley ridin' around here in the winter (go figure) but I do know that it's legal because I've heard stories.  :P
Interesting ones i bet <_<  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

giant_mtb

QuoteDeffinitely legal.  I've never seen a cruiser or harley ridin' around here in the winter (go figure) but I do know that it's legal because I've heard stories.  :P
Very.

giant_mtb

QuoteDeffinitely legal.  I've never seen a cruiser or harley ridin' around here in the winter (go figure) but I do know that it's legal because I've heard stories.  :P
Very.