Waxenberger's Baby: Mercedes-Benz 300SEL 6.3 vs Mercedes-Benz 600

Started by cawimmer430, November 28, 2009, 05:39:06 AM

cawimmer430

Erich Waxenberger was the man responsible for the development and implementation of the infamous M100 engine at Mercedes-Benz. This engine came to power cars like the W108 300SEL 6.3 and W100 600 limousine but was also used in the 450SEL 6.9 in modified form. Waxenberger convinced the Mercedes management that such an engine was needed for prestige and status reasons as well as bowing to the demands of sporty-oriented drivers wishing for more power.

In this months Mercedes-Benz Classic magazine Erich Waxenberger takes a journey into the past by driving these two machines which he essentially "fathered".

The Scans

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

omicron

Delicious. Mercedes could do well to look at the timeless elegance of these cars.

cawimmer430

Quote from: omicron on November 28, 2009, 05:44:47 AM
Delicious. Mercedes could do well to look at the timeless elegance of these cars.

Translating older designs such as these into something more modern (even with retro styling) isn't as easy as it sounds. Also, these cars weren't considered ground-breaking in the design department in their era. They were just beautiful and elegant but still extremely conservative in design.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

cawimmer430

Quote from: Submariner on November 28, 2009, 03:19:01 PM
I will own a restored SWB 600 someday.  That's a fact.

And you will buy your best German friend Christian Wimmer one too. That's a promise!  :winkguy:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CALL_911

I love those cars, they're so elegant and beautiful.

Someone needs to show these cars to MB's current designers. Maybe they'll get their shit straight.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 28, 2009, 03:21:00 PM
And you will buy your best German friend Christian Wimmer one too. That's a promise!  :winkguy:

When I get mine, you can drive me around in it while wearing a chauffeur's cap, and I'll chill in the back seat holding a hairless cat. I've always wanted to go through a late-night drive-thru in such a manner :mrcool:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 28, 2009, 04:28:13 PM
When I get mine, you can drive me around in it while wearing a chauffeur's cap, and I'll chill in the back seat holding a hairless cat. I've always wanted to go through a late-night drive-thru in such a manner :mrcool:

Hello Mr. Blofeld!  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Pommes-T

Quote from: cawimmer430 on November 28, 2009, 03:21:00 PM
And you will buy your best German friend "dude that calls himself Pommes-T" one too. That's a promise!  :winkguy:

No. you won't. Seriously. I would love, really love to own old such a car (just like I would love to own a 300 SL, a Bugatti Atlantique etc.), but the way I drive cars it would really hurt me to see these beautiful cars suffering. Go and buy Wimmer one. He will take care!  :wub:
'00 BMW 523i

Vinsanity

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de