Yokohama Geolandar HT/S

Started by 280Z Turbo, August 21, 2005, 04:41:57 PM

280Z Turbo

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Does anyone have experience with these tires or tirerack.com? My dad's Dakota needs new tires very soon and these look very good, but the shipping is $57 to our home. Is it worth it? Can anyone recommend any other tires for my dad's pickup?

It's a 2WD 1998 V6 model. He tows a light load every now and then, but it's mainly for back and forth to work. He wants them to be good in the snow and have good treadwear, but initial cost seems to be the most important to him. I drive it too, so I want good dry traction too.

Secret Chimp

If I were you, I wouldn't drive a friggin Dakota to the point where dry traction was an issue =P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

280Z Turbo

You'd be suprised what that thing can do! It's sportier than what you'd think! :praise:

I just don't want cheap, POS tires on there. Tires can make or break a vehicle so I want good performance.

280Z Turbo

Could he get away with car tires?

SargeMonkey

Yes, its a compact truck, I would go with some tiny super swampers! :rockon:  
`79 Civic Cvcc
`81 Civic 1300xl
`78 Silverado Camper 454
`70 Chevy Fleetside (non running)
`91 Camry XL All-trac 4cyl
`86 Toyota Pickup (475k miles)
`92 Jeep Wrangler Renegade 4" lift 35" tires.

280Z Turbo

A Dakota isn't a compact, IMO. My Ranger is. The Dakota is more of a small fullsize, IMO. It's a 4x2, BTW.

A 235/75/15 tire isn't exactly tiny either. :rolleyes:  

Tortoise

I really liked the Michelin LTX M/S's that I put on my Ranger.  They were quiet/smooth on the highway and handled fairly well.   Plus, I was able to use them in an Ottawa winter with no major issues.  They may not be the cheapest, but they have a high treadwear rating.  I put over 10,000 km on mine and they still looked brand new.  

cozmik

I can't comment on the tires themselves, but in terms or tirerack, I have bought my last two sets of tires from them, and am about to purchase a third set from them now. So I am happy with them. You'll pay about $20 per tire, so $80 total to have them mounted and balanced once you get them if you can't do that yourself (which most people can't).

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

280Z Turbo

QuoteI can't comment on the tires themselves, but in terms or tirerack, I have bought my last two sets of tires from them, and am about to purchase a third set from them now. So I am happy with them. You'll pay about $20 per tire, so $80 total to have them mounted and balanced once you get them if you can't do that yourself (which most people can't).
$80 for mounting and balancing?! You're getting ripped off. It's normally about $40.

I looked into it and BF Goodrich Radial Long Trails sound like a better deal because I think they're more common (easier to get them locally) and they're almost as good as the Geolandars. Also, it sounds like they're quieter. 235/75/15 is a pretty common size, so it shouldn't be hard to find this tire.

cozmik

QuoteI can't comment on the tires themselves, but in terms or tirerack, I have bought my last two sets of tires from them, and am about to purchase a third set from them now. So I am happy with them. You'll pay about $20 per tire, so $80 total to have them mounted and balanced once you get them if you can't do that yourself (which most people can't).
$80 for mounting and balancing?! You're getting ripped off. It's normally about $40.

I looked into it and BF Goodrich Radial Long Trails sound like a better deal because I think they're more common (easier to get them locally) and they're almost as good as the Geolandars. Also, it sounds like they're quieter. 235/75/15 is a pretty common size, so it shouldn't be hard to find this tire.
I'd like to know where you're going then to have it done. I've checked several places around here, and it's all the same price.  

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Raza

You know what's a hard size to find?  215/55/15.  The only one I've found are Firehawks!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteA Dakota isn't a compact, IMO. My Ranger is. The Dakota is more of a small fullsize, IMO. It's a 4x2, BTW.

A 235/75/15 tire isn't exactly tiny either. :rolleyes:
Small fullsize?  Large medium?  Large small?  Small large?

Semantics... :rolleyes:

:D  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Well compared to the Ranger, the Dakota is a beast! It barely fits in the garage, wheras the Ranger fit just fine. I know what compact trucks feel like and this thing feels closer to a Ram than a Ranger.

That's why I consider it a smaller fullsize pickup.

280Z Turbo

A couple years ago, my dad got the tires for his Corvette balanced for $40. (not sure about the cost of valve stems, disposal, etc.)

I just checked with another tire shop a while back and it was $32 to rebalance the rims on my car.

280Z Turbo

He got the new tires last week. What a difference!

Worn, faded Goodyear Wranglers. (weren't even good when new!)

Brand new Yokes:

He got them in the same size as the old tires (235/75/15) which looks much nicer than the puny stock 215/75/15.

footoflead

Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's