Should I pay this ticket?

Started by Xer0, December 02, 2009, 06:05:46 PM

Xer0

I was in Minnepollis for the Bears game this past weekend (what a waste that was, should have sold that ticket for the $200+ that I would have gotten) and, while you can park practically anywhere on the weekends, on the weekdays its very specific.  So, I got a parking ticket worth all of $32.  I live in Chicago, should I even bother paying this ticket?

bing_oh

Well, if they do their parking tickets anything like we do around here, when you fail to pay the parking ticket, then a misdemeanor citation is then issued and you'd have to go to court. If you fail to appear in court, then a warrant will be issued for failure to appear. So, do you really want a warrant for a $32 parking ticket?

Xer0

Quote from: bing_oh on December 02, 2009, 06:15:15 PM
Well, if they do their parking tickets anything like we do around here, when you fail to pay the parking ticket, then a misdemeanor citation is then issued and you'd have to go to court. If you fail to appear in court, then a warrant will be issued for failure to appear. So, do you really want a warrant for a $32 parking ticket?

Hmm, yes that would be a terrible arrest story wouldn't it?

dazzleman

You could probably get away with not paying it, since Minnesota doesn't control your license plates.  Unlike moving violations, for which states have a compact to suspend home-state licenses for those who don't pay out-of-state fines, I'm not aware of any cross-state reciprocity for parking tickets.  And I doubt they'd actually arrest you for a $32 parking ticket if it came to that.  After some period of time, they're going to forget it.

Having said that, I've always been a proponent of sucking up minor penalties to prevent a minor issue from becoming a more major issue.  I'd never ignore a moving violation from out of state.  But I have ditched parking tickets with no repercussions.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Do you plan on returning to Minneapolis in the next few years? ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Do you think they're going to have a SWAT team waiting at the airport or state line over a fucking $32 parking ticket?

You know how badass I am Psilos.  This is where I'd make my stand.  FUCK THAT TICKET.  He should use it to wipe his ass.  And an arrest will only bring him street cred...:devil:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MaxPower

Just pay the damn thing.   It's only $32, a small price to pay for a whole lot of future unknown hassle.

dazzleman

You're a prosecutor Jeff.  What else would you say? :lol:

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on December 02, 2009, 08:27:50 PMDo you think they're going to have a SWAT team waiting at the airport or state line over a fucking $32 parking ticket?

You know how badass I am Psilos.  This is where I'd make my stand.  FUCK THAT TICKET.  He should use it to wipe his ass.  And an arrest will only bring him street cred...:devil:

He'd feel like a real idiot if he was driving through Minnesota and got arrested during a routine traffic stop for a failure to appear warrant for a parking ticket. Or, even worse, if he was applying for a job or something that required a background check and an insignificant warrant popped up and screwed him.

dazzleman

True.  I'm just kidding around.

But I also doubt a warrant would ever be issued for something that small.

bing_oh

Quote from: dazzleman on December 02, 2009, 08:40:21 PMTrue.  I'm just kidding around.

Like I said early on, my department does issue misdemeanor citations for unpaid parking tickets. And not appearing for that will result in a warrant being issued. Not saying that's how every department does it, but it is possible.

dazzleman

Personally, if I deserved the ticket, I'd pay it.

I skipped out on a couple of parking tickets that I got that were not legitimate.  Never bothered going to court.  There were never any repercussions.  Other than that, I paid all my tickets, parking, speeding, etc.  Generally, the small amount of money isn't worth the possible hassle.  Why turn a small problem into a larger one.

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on December 02, 2009, 08:27:50 PM
Do you think they're going to have a SWAT team waiting at the airport or state line over a fucking $32 parking ticket?

Well, no one ever said you don't have an active imagination.

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on December 02, 2009, 08:55:06 PM

I skipped out on a couple of parking tickets that I got that were not legitimate.  Never bothered going to court.  There were never any repercussions.  Other than that, I paid all my tickets, parking, speeding, etc.  Generally, the small amount of money isn't worth the possible hassle.  Why turn a small problem into a larger one.

Seems like the worst thing that would happen is a boot on his wheel.

I've skipped out on one or two parking tickets that were borderline legitimate, but they were issued by one of those BS private companies on a "private" lot in a town I didn't live in. Pretty much no risk, there.

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on December 02, 2009, 08:40:21 PM
True.  I'm just kidding around.

It's done routinely in New Jersey. It also goes on your credit report as an unpaid civil debt.  ;)

rohan

Quote from: dazzleman on December 02, 2009, 08:27:50 PM

You know how badass I am Psilos.  This is where I'd make my stand.  FUCK THAT TICKET.  He should use it to wipe his ass.  And an arrest will only bring him street cred...:devil:
Actually if he ever flies to Minni for a hub-stop or for any other reason he can be arrested at the gate because his name will "hit."  And they're even talking about putting all misdemeanors on NLETS and then you'ld be refused boarding rights on any commercial plane where your name hits- even civil friend of the court warrants.  Something to think about.  The other thing that can happen- I don't know about Ill. - but if someone from michigan gets a ticket in say Mn. and Mn. suspends your license in that state because of the ticket you can actually get a ticket here for driving on a suspended license even tho it's tech. not suspended in Mi.  Why?  Because you can't have a suspended license anywhere in the US and still hold a valid MI license- even if your licensed in Mi but your privledges are suspended out of state.  I suspect it's probably similar in IL but I don't know for sure.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

TBR

Quote from: dazzleman on December 02, 2009, 08:55:06 PM

I skipped out on a couple of parking tickets that I got that were not legitimate.  Never bothered going to court.  There were never any repercussions.  Other than that, I paid all my tickets, parking, speeding, etc.  Generally, the small amount of money isn't worth the possible hassle.  Why turn a small problem into a larger one.

I'd definitely have done that with my two, but on the first one the university was kind enough to just take it out of the $2 grand they owed me and I am still waiting to hear back on appeal on my second one (why the hell were they ticketing on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving?)

MaxPower

Quote from: dazzleman on December 02, 2009, 08:32:10 PM
You're a prosecutor Jeff.  What else would you say? :lol:
Well, I could recommend for jail time!  :lockedup: :lol:

AutobahnSHO

hehe
A friend got a speeding ticket his LAST DAY In Georgia, and moved to Arizona. Forgot to pay it.

A year or so later, he moved back to GA, and got rear-ended. NO fault of his own- but they ran his license and he got thrown in jail for the weekend, since his wife didn't know how to figure out how to post bail, and she didn't have ANYONE's phone number at the Army Unit we were in..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not paying a <$100 speeding ticket???

=2 days/nights of not sleeping cuz creeps are all around you and you're in a small room with bars and a locked door...
Will

J86