BMW planning to produce Z4 coupe

Started by BMWDave, August 22, 2005, 06:35:14 AM

BMWDave

BMW planning to produce Z4 coupe; concept version to be shown at Frankfurt show
AUTOMOTIVE NEWS EUROPE
Posted Date: 8/22/05
MUNICH, Germany -- BMW AG plans a coupe version of its Z4 roadster, according to company sources.

Like its predecessor, the Z3 coupe, the new coupe will be built at BMW's plant in Spartanburg, S.C., where the roadster is produced.

The decision to build the coupe is surprising. The previous model was not considered a success. During a five-year production run that ended in 2002, BMW sold fewer than 18,000 Z3 coupes.

The Z4 coupe is expected to go on sale next summer. BMW will show a concept version of the car at next month's Frankfurt auto show.

BMW says the car will compete with the Porsche 911 and Cayman coupe, which goes on sale in January.

The Z4 coupe will be powered by BMW's 260-hp, 3.0-liter inline six-cylinder engine. An M performance version also is planned with a 3.2-liter inline six-cylinder engine from the M3, upgraded to 360 hp from 343 hp.

A BMW source says the Z4 coupe will look sleeker than its predecessor. It also will have a roomier trunk.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

mazda6er

Judging from the cars they hope to compete with, I shudder to see the sticker price.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

QuoteJudging from the cars they hope to compete with, I shudder to see the sticker price.
I highly doubt they'd charge much, if any more for the coupe than for the convertible.  

Raza

QuoteJudging from the cars they hope to compete with, I shudder to see the sticker price.
If they keep the same drivetrain, which it seems so, it will probably be cheaper than the Z4 Roadster for the 3.0 coupe, and cheaper than the M3 for the 3.2
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

I agree with you guys that it would logically be within +/- 3K of the current convertible model, but how could even BMW delude themeselves enough to believe a mid $30K car competes with a $90K GT car?
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

Maybe an M version will be appear and be priced closer to the 911, which can easily be had for under $90,000.  

BMWDave

QuoteMaybe an M version will be appear and be priced closer to the 911, which can easily be had for under $90,000.
There is already an M in the works, or so I have heard.  If it gets 400hp a la new M3, then I see no reason why it cant compete with the Cayman or 911.  it surely wont be down in the power department.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

QuoteMaybe an M version will be appear and be priced closer to the 911, which can easily be had for under $90,000.
I know, it actually starts about $70K. Even that's a big jump from mid-$30K though, M model or not. I'm anxious to see what develops with this.
--Mark

ifcar

You can already load it up quickly, C/D's Long Term Test 3.0 was around $50K IIRC.

850CSi

There is already an M in the works, or so I have heard.  If it gets 400hp a la new M3, then I see no reason why it cant compete with the Cayman or 911.  it surely wont be down in the power department.
I highly doubt that any car under $100K besides the Elise and possibly the NSX can match the Cayman's drive and handling.

BMWDave

I highly doubt that any car under $100K besides the Elise and possibly the NSX can match the Cayman's drive and handling.
I agree, there is simply no substitute in terms of balance for a mid engined car.  But at least it can come pretty darn close, and perhaps make up for it in the power department.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

What about the Lancer Evolution?

BMWDave

Dont kid yourself.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Dont kid yourself.
why not?

Raza

QuoteI agree with you guys that it would logically be within +/- 3K of the current convertible model, but how could even BMW delude themeselves enough to believe a mid $30K car competes with a $90K GT car?
They're probably referring to the M Coupe, which is still ridiculous, since the 645Ci/M6 is the competitor to the 911.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

QuoteYou can already load it up quickly, C/D's Long Term Test 3.0 was around $50K IIRC.
Didn't theirs have the $1500 SMG trans?  Or was that Automobile's?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Dont kid yourself.
why not?
An AWD sedan with econo-class roots will not be able to compete with something like a pure bred mid engine GT.  It's an insane thing to even contemplate.  Sure the Evo handles very well, but in tight, hard, or fast corners, the chassis will give in, the AWD will cause the car to understeer, instead of floating right through like a Boxster or Cayman would.  There are only so many shortcomings that a large turbo and AWD can overcome (forgetting for a moment the sacrifices that have to be made with AWD itself).  I've driven a lot of cars in my day, and it says something that the first generation Boxster S is still the most impressive automobile I've ever helmed when it's in the company or such cars like the S55 AMG, 350Z, TT, GTO, WRX, and others.  Hell, even an underpowered Toyota convertible that is a dedicated mid engine chassis (the MR-2 Spyder, in case you forgot that Toyota makes a sports car, because they sure seem to have) is also one of the best handling cars I've driven, and one of the most fun and entertaining (the biggest thing holding that car back is the lack of power).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

QuoteYou can already load it up quickly, C/D's Long Term Test 3.0 was around $50K IIRC.
That may be. I only remember the price, I'd have to look it up.  

BMWDave

That may be. I only remember the price, I'd have to look it up.
I think it did have SMG, though I am not certain.

2007 Honda S2000