Ward's 10 Best Engines Awards for 2010

Started by cawimmer430, December 11, 2009, 01:25:34 PM

cawimmer430

Ward's 10 Best Engines Awards for 2010

Ward's 10 Best Engines, North America's only award program honoring engine excellence, have been announced for 2010. The list symbolizes the auto industry's swift movement toward downsized engines to attract consumers who now are making fuel efficiency a top priority.

Highlights: Two turbodiesels (one each from BMW AG and Volkswagen AG) and two hybrid-electric vehicles (from Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp.) made this year's list by achieving fuel economy of nearly 40 mpg (5.8 L/100 km) in the VW Jetta SportWagen TDI and up to 55 mpg (4.2 L/100 km) in the Toyota Prius in real-world driving.

This year's winners and the applications tested:
2.0L TFSI Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Audi A4)
3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S4)
3.0L DOHC I-6 Turbodiesel (BMW 335d)
2.5L DOHC I-4 Hybrid (Ford Fusion Hybrid)
3.5L EcoBoost Turbocharged DOHC V-6 (Ford Taurus SHO)
2.4L Ecotec DOHC I-4 (Chevrolet Equinox)
4.6L Tau DOHC V-8 (Hyundai Genesis)
2.5L Turbocharged DOHC H-4 (Subaru Legacy 2.5GT)
1.8L DOHC I-4 Hybrid (Toyota Prius)
2.0L SOHC I-4 Turbodiesel (Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI) also standard in Audi A3 2.0 TDI

"This year's list embodies how the industry is responding to demands for higher fuel economy and lower emissions without shortchanging performance," Ward's AutoWorld Editor-in-Chief Drew Winter said. "Auto makers are using innovative designs and advanced technology to boost horsepower and torque while downsizing engines and increasing efficiency."

To be eligible for the competition, each engine must be available in a regular-production U.S.-specification model on sale no later than first-quarter 2010, in a vehicle priced no more than $54,000, a price cap indexed to the average cost of a new vehicle.
Throughout October and November, six editors of Ward's Automotive Group tested 34 vehicles from 13 auto makers in their normal driving cycles in metro Detroit. They scored each engine based on horsepower, torque, refinement, technical relevance and comparative data. Each engine was evaluated because it was all-new, offered significant technology upgrades or was a returning winner from last year.

The awards will be presented at a Jan. 13 ceremony in Detroit during the North American International Auto Show. A full story on the Ward's 10 Best Engines is now available on Wardsauto.com.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Ecob00st FTMFW

NON-BELIEVERS CAN BLOW IT OUT THEIR ASSES!

....................../??/)
....................,/?../
.................../..../
............./??/'...'/???`??
........../'/.../..../......./??\
........('(...?...?.... ?~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.??
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Colonel Cadillac

I wonder what's so special about the Equinox engine. I'll have to look into that.

And I'm glad Mom's 2.0T was a top 10, I definitely agree :praise:

Vinsanity

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 11, 2009, 02:41:19 PM
I wonder what's so special about the Equinox engine. I'll have to look into that.

32 mpg in a non-hybrid midsize SUV producing 180 hp sounds pretty impressive

MX793

How did the Ford 2.5 make it on the list?  There's nothing special about that motor other than when it is paired with a second, electric motor.  The engine in and of itself is not a "hybrid".  If they're going to start counting hybrids, they should change it to the 10 Best Powertrains award.

I also see the VQ was bumped from the list.  Time for Nissan to deliver an all-new family of V6s.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

I notice a shift in engine awards.

Out of 10 engines on the list, there were only 2 naturally aspirated non-hybrid paired engines on the list.

Raza

Quote from: 565 on December 12, 2009, 08:28:45 AM
I notice a shift in engine awards.

Out of 10 engines on the list, there were only 2 naturally aspirated non-hybrid paired engines on the list.

Turbocharger > all.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.