458 Italia road test- this will make you a believer

Started by sportyaccordy, December 12, 2009, 08:27:19 PM

GoCougs

Nah, the traditional manual ain't nothing all that special. With a such an ultra responsive engine like this the DSG-style tranny is the way to go every level.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 13, 2009, 09:10:34 AM
It's got damn near 600 HP. Better to let you focus on keeping it on the road than keeping it in its powerband. I think it's a good move on Ferarri's part.

Automanual trannys are not gimmicks. Their first sporting applications were in F1/rally cars.

They're not gimmicks in a race car.  In a road car, they absolutely are. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

Quote from: NACar on December 13, 2009, 04:01:07 PM
How can you give a "thumbs up oh yeah" to flat out lies like that? :rolleyes:
Please tell me how liking one thing over the other for normal road use is a "flat out lie."

It's like saying people who like pop up headlamps are dumb because they're out of style.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20723.msg1223107#msg1223107 date=1260744464
They're not gimmicks in a race car.  In a road car, they absolutely are. 
Exactly.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Onslaught on December 13, 2009, 05:07:41 PM
Please tell me how liking one thing over the other for normal road use is a "flat out lie."

It's like saying people who like pop up headlamps are dumb because they're out of style.

Ignorance is bliss, as they say. Sure, you're a liar, and an idiot, but at least you're happy with yourself.

Onslaught

Quote from: NACar on December 13, 2009, 05:35:26 PM
Ignorance is bliss, as they say. Sure, you're a liar, and an idiot, but at least you're happy with yourself.
I don't care if someone calls me an idiot, motherfucker, dick head, jerk weed, asshole and so on.
But your punk ass better hope I never actually see you for calling me a liar.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Onslaught on December 13, 2009, 05:39:10 PM
I don't care if someone calls me an idiot, motherfucker, dick head, jerk weed, asshole and so on.
But your punk ass better hope I never actually see you for calling me a liar.

Maybe you shouldn't lie if you don't want to be a liar.  :rolleyes:

SVT666

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

280Z Turbo

Quote from: SVT_Power on December 13, 2009, 09:38:38 PM
What the hell is wrong with nick today  :confused:

He's become so silly that he's completely lost touch with reality.

Eye of the Tiger

Since when am I the one with the problem here? I point out how Onslot refuses to understand and remain ignorant of DSG's, flat out lies about it doing so even though he just admitted it, and gets pissy at me instead of smartening up.   

Eye of the Tiger

r0tor

I don't have a problem with a DSG tranny.  I'm completely not a fan on conventional slushies with a torque converter as the torque converter can lead to the drivetrain commands feeling dampened when the torque converter isn't locked.

A dsg feels like a manual as far as powertrain response - thats what really feels the most rewarding to me personally
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on December 14, 2009, 06:30:32 AM
I don't have a problem with a DSG tranny.  I'm completely not a fan on conventional slushies with a torque converter as the torque converter can lead to the drivetrain commands feeling dampened when the torque converter isn't locked.

A dsg feels like a manual as far as powertrain response - thats what really feels the most rewarding to me personally

I found the DSG equipped GTI that I drove back in 06 to be quite fun.  Snaps off shifts in a hurry, has all the engine braking/speed control of a manual but you don't have to think about it, just drive the thing.  Plus, no balky shifters in the winter.

Raza

Quote from: R-inge on December 14, 2009, 11:16:59 AM
I found the DSG equipped GTI that I drove back in 06 to be quite fun.  Snaps off shifts in a hurry, has all the engine braking/speed control of a manual but you don't have to think about it, just drive the thing.  Plus, no balky shifters in the winter.

And that, to me, is the failure of a DSG to replace a manual.  The DCTs should replace automatics completely (other than CVTs), as they are more efficient, but the driving experience will never match that of a proper manual.  I do not care about track times.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mojammer

If you're cruising in 5th gear with an auto-manual and you come up to a light, do you have to downshift through each gear to get to neutral?  Or if you are slowing down for a light and then it turns green when you're doing about 20mph, do you have to shift down through 4th and 3rd to get to 2nd?  If so that would be mildly annoying.

BimmerM3

Quote from: mojammer on December 14, 2009, 03:01:19 PM
If you're cruising in 5th gear with an auto-manual and you come up to a light, do you have to downshift through each gear to get to neutral?  Or if you are slowing down for a light and then it turns green when you're doing about 20mph, do you have to shift down through 4th and 3rd to get to 2nd?  If so that would be mildly annoying.

I would guess that it automatically downshifts at idle, or maybe like 500 rpms above idle.

SVT666

If you're cruising in 5th gear with an auto-manual and you come up to a light, do you have to downshift through each gear to get to neutral?  Or if you are slowing down for a light and then it turns green when you're doing about 20mph, do you have to shift down through 4th and 3rd to get to 2nd?  If so that would be mildly annoying.
Yes.  But you also could just stick it in "auto".  Or am I full of shit?

SVT_Power

Don't we have any DSG gearbox owners around? Does SJ_GTI have DSG?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT_Power on December 14, 2009, 03:44:44 PM
Don't we have any DSG gearbox owners around? Does SJ_GTI have DSG?

I don't know of any. I drive traditional manuals, as I do prefer them.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Raza  on December 14, 2009, 02:45:02 PM
And that, to me, is the failure of a DSG to replace a manual.  The DCTs should replace automatics completely (other than CVTs), as they are more efficient, but the driving experience will never match that of a proper manual.  I do not care about track times.
+100

And that is why I found Forza 3 played with a wheel with a 6 speed shifter and clutch so addicting. You can't just pull a paddle and let the game blip the throttle for you. You have to know how to ease on the gas and to not just dump the clutch after shifting. It's ridiculously fun BECAUSE you have to think about it, at least for me anyways.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on December 14, 2009, 03:58:27 PM
+100

And that is why I found Forza 3 played with a wheel with a 6 speed shifter and clutch so addicting. You can't just pull a paddle and let the game blip the throttle for you. You have to know how to ease on the gas and to not just dump the clutch after shifting. It's ridiculously fun BECAUSE you have to think about it, at least for me anyways.

Off topic, but how does that work for the IS-F? It it's an 8AT.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on December 14, 2009, 04:01:03 PM

Off topic, but how does that work for the IS-F? It it's an 8AT.
My friend (who owns the wheel and Xbox) says you can shift it normally until 6th gear and then use the paddles to shift up after that.

I'd just use the paddles for that car.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Quote from: thecarnut on December 14, 2009, 04:01:58 PM
My friend (who owns the wheel and Xbox) says you can shift it normally until 6th gear and then use the paddles to shift up after that.

I'd just use the paddles for that car.

I just wouldn't drive that car. :huh:

:lol:

sportyaccordy

Manuals just seem like an unnecessary step, ESPECIALLY in spirited driving.

Say for example you're on a private closed course, and are a professional driver. You are doing about 70, and someone squeaks by you at about 85. To me, the more enjoyable choice would be to flick a paddle 2-3 times and be in gear in less than a second, rather than to analyze my speed, select the right gear mentally, clutch out, select the right gear physically+rev match, clutch in, and then be able to accelerate probably 2-3 seconds later, while running the risk of damaging your drivetrain... all to obtain the same result. I can't imagine anyone here hi-fiving themselves after completing a proper downshift; and I highly doubt anyone would come away from driving a 458 Italia and saying 'man that car wouldn't suck if it had a traditional manual'...

And it's even worse if you're braking into a turn...

ZF just developed an 8 speed auto that can use a wet multiplate clutch, torque converter and electric motor as the coupling device between it and the engine. It's not much less efficient than a DSG box, and of course is available in RWD or AWD. I'm curious to see how that works out. It can hold 1000N-m of torque too.

MX793

No different than operating a motorcycle, which has a manual sequential gearbox.  Granted, the ability to skip straight from any gear to any other is one benefit of the traditional "H-pattern" gearbox.

My biggest gripe with SMG/DSG type boxes is the absence of the clutch pedal.  I like being able to modulate the clutch, particularly when operating in slick conditions (snow and ice).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5