For all the yacking about fuel mileage...

Started by VTEC_Inside, December 14, 2009, 09:29:46 AM

VTEC_Inside

Is it just me or does Joe Public have a lead foot?

I'm not talking about speeding, but rather simply accelerating.

Thankfully (or not sometimes), most of my daily commute is on the highway.

However on my way to the highway every day I often notice that everyone is flooring it (exaggeration of course) at every light the second the light turned green.

It didn't matter that you could see the next light was red, or that traffic would slow you down before that, just mashing the pedal off the line. Almost without failure I end up cruising by these people at my steady slower rate.

Which brings me back to the subject line. For all the apparent concern about fuel mileage its a shame that these people don't understand how much of an improvement they could make without spending a dime.

Disclaimer: I usually piss away anything I've saved the second I pull onto the highway, but at least I'm aware of it.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

ifcar

It's not even lead foot so much as thoughtlessness. For example, when my father is driving up to a red light, he keeps his foot on the gas right up until he brakes. He could save gas and brake pads just by coasting up to the light, but won't. (Though he also had a lead foot.)

When I drive his car (2005 Focus), I get 34-36 mpg. He gets 29.

The Phantom

I notice a lot of dilly-dallyers getting on the highways via the on-ramps.  But yes, there are quite a few people who seem to like to race stoplight to stoplight.  I like to say, "see you in a few seconds, pal!"
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

S204STi

I'm with you guys.  Drive with your eyes down the road and anticipate lights.  It's not like you're saving any time anyway if you end up having to stop again at the next light.

The Phantom

What I really love is a different topic altogether, but I'll touch on it.  People hanging out in the left lane, behind one slow MF-er when the right lane is clear.  I go around them on the right and when the slow poke eventually gets over to the correct lane, everybody finally catches and passes me as I'm keeping to my 72 or so MPH.

I guess that's also something about fuel mileage...
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

giant_mtb

AutobahnSHO

Will

SVT_Power

I don't care too much about fuel mileage but I try not to come to a dead stop at lights - if I see a red or expect it, I'll coast from that point. This way I don't have to clutch in, out, and then in, out again to get going again  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TurboDan

The only reason I usually step on it when the light turns green is so someone isn't trying to go around me and cut me off to get in front of me. I'd rather just move briskly and avoid it. New Jersey drivers are asshats... and it's way worse in the northern part of the state than where I live.

ifcar

Quote from: TurboDan on December 14, 2009, 03:55:04 PM
The only reason I usually step on it when the light turns green is so someone isn't trying to go around me and cut me off to get in front of me. I'd rather just move briskly and avoid it. New Jersey drivers are asshats... and it's way worse in the northern part of the state than where I live.

What do you care if they get in front of you?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on December 14, 2009, 03:59:30 PM
What do you care if they get in front of you?

Don't want to lose the race. Duh.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 14, 2009, 12:28:16 PM
What's this got to do with law, anyhow?

I was ignoring the law bit. I suppose it could be moved to general.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

TurboDan

Quote from: NACar on December 14, 2009, 04:06:36 PM
Don't want to lose the race. Duh.

Kind of. But more often, two-lane intersections around here turn into one-lane roads on the other side. So you have cars doing EVERYTHING they can to get around you (usually a teenager in a Civic or a hick in a raised pickup) and almost side-swiping you in the process as they go around and try to go in front of you.

Like I said, this doesn't happen in most other places. In all the time I lived in Florida nobody really cared how fast anyone else accelerated for the most part. But New Jerseyans are weirdos.

ifcar

Quote from: TurboDan on December 14, 2009, 05:42:55 PM
Kind of. But more often, two-lane intersections around here turn into one-lane roads on the other side. So you have cars doing EVERYTHING they can to get around you (usually a teenager in a Civic or a hick in a raised pickup) and almost side-swiping you in the process as they go around and try to go in front of you.

Like I said, this doesn't happen in most other places. In all the time I lived in Florida nobody really cared how fast anyone else accelerated for the most part. But New Jerseyans are weirdos.

Wouldn't it be less dangerous to just let them go than to try to race them?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on December 14, 2009, 05:56:35 PM

It's always safer to be in front. Then if they hit you, it's their fault.

Byteme

Quote from: ifcar on December 14, 2009, 09:33:50 AM
It's not even lead foot so much as thoughtlessness. For example, when my father is driving up to a red light, he keeps his foot on the gas right up until he brakes. He could save gas and brake pads just by coasting up to the light, but won't. (Though he also had a lead foot.)

When I drive his car (2005 Focus), I get 34-36 mpg. He gets 29.

Great gas mileage?

Coming back from Arkansas in the Mazda 3 a few weeks ago I drafted a semi going 75 MPH on the interstate.  The trip computer told me I was getting about 45 MPG.

TurboDan

Quote from: ifcar on December 14, 2009, 05:56:35 PM

I don't try to race anyone. If they want to floor it and go past me, that's fine. I just try to avoid a position where they are riding in the shoulder next to me trying to pass me, then wind up crashing into me when they attempt to get in front or find out they can't get back into the proper lane and another vehicle is blocking them. I've seen too many accidents happen like that around here.

You can kinda pick out the types who would do it. Normally, it's lifted pickups with tinted windows or dumb kids trying to be cool in their riced out Civics.

AutobahnSHO

Or people yakking on the phone, not paying attention.
Will

ChrisV

man, I wish. even though people around here seem to like to fly on the beltway or on the major highways, it seems most people cant figure out where their accellerator pedal is when the light goes green. We talk about how much hp modern Accords and Camry's have but I don't see anyone using it...
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

S204STi

Quote from: Byteme on December 15, 2009, 11:04:49 AM
Great gas mileage?

Coming back from Arkansas in the Mazda 3 a few weeks ago I drafted a semi going 75 MPH on the interstate.  The trip computer told me I was getting about 45 MPG.

Score!

the Teuton

I somehow only got 28 mpg average out of my PlastiCar the other week. In other news, my brother thinks I drive like a maniac.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on December 18, 2009, 12:37:53 PM
I somehow only got 28 mpg average out of my PlastiCar the other week. In other news, my brother thinks I drive like a maniac.

I think you drive like my gramma.

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on December 18, 2009, 12:40:06 PM
You can't judge me!

It's okay, I'm still hovering my gavel above whatever the hell that square piece of wood you bang it on is called....

the Teuton

swift.

BTW, what can the Swift achieve, mpg-wise, and what do you usually get with it?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: the Teuton on December 18, 2009, 12:56:52 PM
swift.

BTW, what can the Swift achieve, mpg-wise, and what do you usually get with it?

No matter what I do, it's always 39 mpg. 39 mpg. I can drive the shit out of it in the city all week and get 39 mpg. I can drive the shit out of it on the highway and get 39 mpg. Actually, there was that one time when I got 47 mpg on a highway trip, but I wasn't driving the shit out of it. I always drive the shit out of it.

Colonel Cadillac

I don't pay for gas and won't for another year and a half, so I don't at all care about my gas mileage and love to hammer it at a light. I think my mileage sticks around 15 MPG.

The Phantom

I was getting 27 MPG last week until I hit the 70 zone and started going 80.  I ended the three hour trip at about 26.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on December 18, 2009, 02:26:55 PM
I don't pay for gas and won't for another year and a half, so I don't at all care about my gas mileage and love to hammer it at a light. I think my mileage sticks around 15 MPG.

Wow. That's even worse than the Rodeo. :lol:

GoCougs

I'd suggest rethink your premise - the population as a whole by and large has never really cared all that much about gas mileage.