Saab Story

Started by the Teuton, December 18, 2009, 08:05:29 AM

the Teuton

BREAKING: Swedish Patient Succumbs - Deal for Saab is dead on the table, GM to wind down brand

After a protracted saga that has seen bidders drop in-and-out, old model tooling and assets sold off to the Chinese, the enigmatic brand known as Saab is dead. In a press release issued this morning, General Motors announced that the "intended sale of Saab Automobile AB would not be concluded." GM had been in talks with Dutch exoticmakers Spyker Cars after pursuing a number of other buyer leads (including the aborted sale with Koenigsegg), but The General says that in the course of due diligence, the resolution of certain unspecified issues became impossible in the time frame that they had set for themselves.

As such, GM will immediately begin the "wind down" of the much-loved yet perpetually unprofitable cult brand, but says it will continue to honor warranties and provide spare parts and service ? presumably through other GM brand dealers as Saab dealers go offline. Officials note that this is not a bankruptcy or forced liquidation situation, so outstanding creditors should still expect to receive payment.

It is not clear what will happen to the production-ready 2010 9-5, nor the current 9-3/9-3X model and almost-ready 9-4X. Official death certificate available after the jump.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/18/breaking-swedish-patient-succumbs-deal-for-saab-is-dead-on-th/

So what will become of the new 9-5? That looked like it was going to be one hell of a car. I think they should sell it as a...well, they killed Olds (my natural second choice for such a car), they killed Saturn, they killed Pontiac, it's not Buick material, and we don't get Opel/Vauxhall here.

What should they do with hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D sitting right there?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Submariner

That's so fucking stupid.  At the very least they should have sold it to Spyker or Koenigsegg at a loss, rather than just kill it off. Further proof GM has zero idea as to what they are doing.  :facepalm:

But hey, we get to see those patently false "May the best car win" BS ads a little while longer, so not all is lost.  :rolleyes:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

the Teuton

If they still owned Hummer, I'd rebadge it as the "Hummeroid."

GM just killed what was like a project that cost close to $1 billion including all of the new technologies implemented into it. Once again, way to go, GM.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

I'm going to email GM and make an offer. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cozmik

I hope that GM dies. They will never receive my business in the future. The company does not deserve to exist, it's management should but hung from the highest tree, and if I could burn every last one of them myself I would. I will make sure that everyone who asks me for advice on what car to buy is told never to touch anything from GM. This company should be dead. it doesn't deserve anyone's business, and it definitely doesn't deserve my tax money. Fuck every last one of them, fuck the company, and fuck their piss poor products. That company and it's management had better hope I never come into the position of being able to make a decision on their livelihood in the future, because I will sell them piece by piece to the lowest bidder, and even that would be generous to them.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

the Teuton

^^^One pissed former Saab owner^^^

Tave

Meh--they build mildly entertaining cars that cater to select crowd, have a polarizing design language, and cost more that the competition which performs both subjectively and objectively better. Not only was this inevitable, especially considering the wretched reputation for reliability, earned or not, that the company had built in the US; but I also won't be losing any sleep over it, and I'm guessing that 90% of the people on SPIN who are going to complain about this would have never bought one in their lifetimes anyway.

See ya later Saab, you had a...run, but it's time to go.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Saab never made any money, and from a business perspective, it didn't look to make any money anytime soon.

2o6

I wonder what is going to happen to the 9-5 and 9-4x.

Those are ready for production.

Tave

Quote from: cozmik on December 18, 2009, 08:57:47 AM
I hope that GM dies. They will never receive my business in the future. The company does not deserve to exist, it's management should but hung from the highest tree, and if I could burn every last one of them myself I would. I will make sure that everyone who asks me for advice on what car to buy is told never to touch anything from GM. This company should be dead. it doesn't deserve anyone's business, and it definitely doesn't deserve my tax money. Fuck every last one of them, fuck the company, and fuck their piss poor products. That company and it's management had better hope I never come into the position of being able to make a decision on their livelihood in the future, because I will sell them piece by piece to the lowest bidder, and even that would be generous to them.

Uh, sorry man, but Saab did this to itself a long time ago. If anything, you should thank GM for extending the life of the brand past the point any reasonable person would have expected.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on December 18, 2009, 09:10:15 AM
Uh, sorry man, but Saab did this to itself a long time ago. If anything, you should thank GM for extending the life of the brand past the point any reasonable person would have expected.

I agree, if anything, GM helped them.

The 900NG was great, the 9-5 was pretty good, too. It's SAAB's general management that couldn't follow up with a decent car.

SVT666

It's about time.  Saab is a brand that nobody buys and lags behind the competition in virtually every aspect.

2o6

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 18, 2009, 09:17:54 AM
It's about time.  Saab is a brand that nobody buys and lags behind the competition in virtually every aspect.

The 9-5 and 9-4x look to be good, but it's too little too late.

cozmik

Quote from: Tave on December 18, 2009, 09:10:15 AM

you're incorrect. An incompetent american company decided to give Saab no budget and inferior platforms to make luxury products off of. They held Saab back to keep them from stepping on Crapaliacs toes and opel. I hope both brands those brands enjoy a firey death.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

2o6

The Epsilion platform is far from crappy.

cozmik

Quote from: 2o6 on December 18, 2009, 09:27:18 AM
The Epsilion platform is far from crappy.

It's not something to make a car to compete with BMW and Mercedes off of either.

Tave

Quote from: cozmik on December 18, 2009, 09:26:05 AM
you're incorrect. An incompetent american company decided to give Saab no budget and inferior platforms to make luxury products off of. They held Saab back to keep them from stepping on Crapaliacs toes and opel. I hope both brands those brands enjoy a firey death.

Bullshit. Saab was a sinking ship before GM bought it. You're delusional.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on December 18, 2009, 08:45:31 AM
I'm going to email GM and make an offer. 

I'll match whatever you throw in. 

Submariner

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 18, 2009, 09:17:54 AM

My girlfriends 9-3 is a fantastic car, and aside from it's inherent Saab quirkiness, it's just as good any pseudo-luxury/sports car out there (I'm looking at you, TL) 

3.0L V6

Not to be a killjoy, but if we ever wanted to see an independent GM again (i.e. no government involvement), they had to kill the brands that they were subsidizing and focus their energies on their mainstream brands. GM is a volume car maker, not really a niche player. Had the General not bought Saab in 1989, it would have died within the decade. Saab, to my knowledge, never made a profit for GM.

It absolutely sucks from an enthusiast point of view - less choice is always a bad thing. However, I consider that keeping GM on the government dole is worse than losing some choice in the car market.

sportyaccordy

I am not moved one way or another... Saab had some interesting cars, but beyond their uniqueness really presented no advantages over their competitors.

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on December 18, 2009, 09:34:06 AM
I'll match whatever you throw in. 

If we all chip in, we could probably buy Saab at a decent price. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: cozmik on December 18, 2009, 09:29:26 AM
It's not something to make a car to compete with BMW and Mercedes off of either.

Saab NEVER tried to play with BMW and Mercedes.

Byteme

Quote from: Tave on December 18, 2009, 09:33:08 AM
Bullshit. Saab was a sinking ship before GM bought it. You're delusional.

IIRC Saab was in about the same shape or worse than Jaguar was when Ford bought that company.  GM propped up the bottm line when they should hav used the money to better their core products. It's about time someone pulled the plug.  the fact there are no viable takers at all should tell you something, down market or not.

mzziaz

A sad day for the automotive world, and especially the Scandinavian one.   :(

R.I.P. SAAB.

Wonder if there will be killer deals on the 9-3 to be had?
Cuore Sportivo

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on December 18, 2009, 10:34:03 AM
If we all chip in, we could probably buy Saab at a decent price. 

We would undoubtedly be better managers, to boot.

Cookie Monster

I don't get it. On one hand, everyone (including me) bitches about the fact that GM receives government funding and whatnot, but then everyone also bitches that GM kills off all these extraneous brands. You can't have it both ways. GM needs to trim the excess if they want to get back on their feet and keeping around brands like Saab and Hummer just makes them more reliant on federal aid. At least now GM can focus more on their main brands.

Besides, I doubt niche companies like Koenisegg and Spyker could have done anything great with Saab anyways. Yes, I'm sad to see another car company (especially one that has been around for a while) go, but honestly, Saab didn't offer anything worth buying over the competition. The only Saab I really liked was the Saab 9-2X, only because it looked like a cleaner Subaru. Saab was already toast and it's not GM's fault that they're dead.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

the Teuton

I think my next car will be the now-defunct 9-2X Aero from the now-defunct Saab. Resale value for those things should officially be in the crapper after this news.

I am going to go defunct brand shopping from here on out! :rockon: