Yahoo Autos Reality Check

Started by S204STi, December 18, 2009, 11:05:47 AM

AutobahnSHO

My favorite:
TRUTH= "Modern engines warm up more quickly when they're driven."

I laugh when it gets down to 30degrees here (in Georgia or on-base in Germany.)
All the warmies run outside to start the car a good 20minutes before they plan on driving anywheres....
Will

FoMoJo

I'm still changing oil every 5,000 kilometres; even though the little sensor says it's still about 60% good.  I just think that the cleaner the oil, the less wear will occur. :huh:

Warming the engine is something I do for a couple of minutes as well; especially in the winter.  It's really best, imo, that the oil gets flowing a bit better before putting a load on.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

When it's 20-40 out, I usually have to scrape ice or towel mist off the windows.

SO I always start the car, turn on the lights, heater blower, and defroster (adds a TINY bit of load to the motor,) then wipe or scrape ALL the windows/mirrors. Drive lightly the first few blocks, then good to go!
Makes for a safer driving experience, and since you're moving you don't get as cold sitting inside waiting for the car to warm up, and doesn't co$t the gas if you let it run 20minutes..

It's worked on a variety of cars (carberated, fuel-injected, import, domestic, OLD, kinda old)-
Even in -40degree Wyoming.
Will

Secret Chimp

I have to warm up my car in the winter. I can't drive around holding my breath to keep the windshield from fogging up until the engine's hot.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Secret Chimp on December 19, 2009, 07:52:56 PM
I have to warm up my car in the winter. I can't drive around holding my breath to keep the windshield from fogging up until the engine's hot.

Open a window and breathe out of that. That's what I do. I can't leave my cars running unattended in this neighborhood.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

hotrodalex

I keep the heater off until the car is warmed up, but the defroster usually goes on.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Secret Chimp on December 19, 2009, 07:52:56 PM
Do u have air conditioning......

How cold does it get where u are?

Even on a 20-30 degree day here, my car is warmed up in about 5 minutes.