Mazda6 Wagon Review

Started by BMWDave, May 12, 2005, 03:57:56 PM

BMWDave

MARK PHELAN: Mazda 6 wagon is fun, but noisy

May 12, 2005

BY MARK PHELAN
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

NEW ORLEANS -- Until Alfa Romeo returns to the United States you're not likely to find a more stylish sporty station wagon than the midsize Mazda 6. Like the legendary Italian brand, Mazda's recent sedans and sports cars exude style from every angle and -- also like Alfa -- Mazda has added a lovely station wagon to its stable.

Prices start at $22,895, and the nicely equipped s model I tested during my annual pilgrimage to a spring music festival in New Orleans carried a $26,600 sticker. All prices exclude destination charges.

The 6's well-appointed interior is surprisingly roomy, providing plenty of room for luggage and a 6-foot-4-inch passenger in the back seat on a late-night run to Gulfport-Biloxi airport. The interior looks and feels good, despite a couple of ergonomic snafus: oddly placed controls for the heated seats and a storage compartment that opens up, but only after you push down on its latch.

The seats are comfortable and the interior trim combines soft-touch materials with tastefully restrained chrome. The Bose sound system provided excellent tone and volume.

However, the car could use a lot more sound insulation. Road noise tended to boom through the interior during highway runs, and there were far too many rattles when driving over New Orleans' gutted streets. The car's four-wheel independent suspension protected passengers from all but the most buckled pavement, however.

The steering is precise and direct, and I was pleased with the brakes' response, although another driver wished for more feedback through the pedal.

The 3.0-liter V6 revs smoothly and quickly, but the 3,387-pound wagon could use more low-end torque for confident acceleration. The car handled well at high speeds, although it's not quite as sporty as the 6 sedan.

Overall, the Mazda 6 wagon delivers an enjoyable combination of good looks, style and driving pleasure. A gutsier engine and quieter interior would make it a world-beater.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

mazda6er

I'll agree with the need for a "gutsier engine", but I've never thought my car was very noisy on the highway or otherwise. I doubt it would be different in the wagon.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

QuoteI'll agree with the need for a "gutsier engine", but I've never thought my car was very noisy on the highway or otherwise. I doubt it would be different in the wagon.
Well with the wagon, there is more 'room' for the nouse to generate in the back as opposed to a sedan.  Its the same with the Mazda3 Hatch and Sedan.

2007 Honda S2000

mazda6er

QuoteI'll agree with the need for a "gutsier engine", but I've never thought my car was very noisy on the highway or otherwise. I doubt it would be different in the wagon.
Well with the wagon, there is more 'room' for the nouse to generate in the back as opposed to a sedan.  Its the same with the Mazda3 Hatch and Sedan.
Yeah, I suppose you're right. The sound probably bounces around in that back cargo area.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

BMWDave

Yeah, I suppose you're right. The sound probably bounces around in that back cargo area.
Yes, thats why hatches or wagons are noisier than their equivalent sedans.

2007 Honda S2000

City Pig

I never really found my hatch to be too noisy either. However I also would like a little more grunt to get moving.

BMWDave

QuoteI never really found my hatch to be too noisy either. However I also would like a little more grunt to get moving.
You have a Mazda3?  Is it the i or the s?

2007 Honda S2000

Catman

QuoteI never really found my hatch to be too noisy either. However I also would like a little more grunt to get moving.
Yeah, what are you driving, hog?

Catman

I'm a BIG fan of wagons but the 6 wagon is missing something.  There's something too plain about it, not sure?  Another issue I foresee is a starting price of $22,000.  How will that pan out when the Mazda 5 is starting at $18,000?  It's bigger and seats more.  Maybe because it's a I4?

MX793

QuoteI'm a BIG fan of wagons but the 6 wagon is missing something.  There's something too plain about it, not sure?  Another issue I foresee is a starting price of $22,000.  How will that pan out when the Mazda 5 is starting at $18,000?  It's bigger and seats more.  Maybe because it's a I4?
The 5 isn't bigger than the 6 wagon.  The 6 is over half a foot longer and an inch wider.  the 5 is a little over a half foot taller, though.  The 6 also has more front and rear legroom (though a bit less headroom).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Catman

QuoteI'm a BIG fan of wagons but the 6 wagon is missing something.  There's something too plain about it, not sure?  Another issue I foresee is a starting price of $22,000.  How will that pan out when the Mazda 5 is starting at $18,000?  It's bigger and seats more.  Maybe because it's a I4?
The 5 isn't bigger than the 6 wagon.  The 6 is over half a foot longer and an inch wider.  the 5 is a little over a half foot taller, though.  The 6 also has more front and rear legroom (though a bit less headroom).
Thanks for the run down!  

ifcar

QuoteI'm a BIG fan of wagons but the 6 wagon is missing something.  There's something too plain about it, not sure?  Another issue I foresee is a starting price of $22,000.  How will that pan out when the Mazda 5 is starting at $18,000?  It's bigger and seats more.  Maybe because it's a I4?
As was said, the Mazda5 is smaller, it just has a very well-packaged interior. The Mazda6 wagon is V6 only, the Mazda5 is 4-cyl only. Also, the Mazda5 looks too much like a minivan for many buyers.

And I like the look of the 6 wagon myself, I don't see anything bland about it.

BMWDave

QuoteI'm a BIG fan of wagons but the 6 wagon is missing something.  There's something too plain about it, not sure?  Another issue I foresee is a starting price of $22,000.  How will that pan out when the Mazda 5 is starting at $18,000?  It's bigger and seats more.  Maybe because it's a I4?
As was said, the Mazda5 is smaller, it just has a very well-packaged interior. The Mazda6 wagon is V6 only, the Mazda5 is 4-cyl only. Also, the Mazda5 looks too much like a minivan for many buyers.

Its a very nice alternative since there is almost nothing to compete against it (entry level mainstream wagon).

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Its a very nice alternative since there is almost nothing to compete against it (entry level mainstream wagon).
It's got the Malibu MAXX, Legacy/Outback, Magnum, and V50. There are smaller segments of the market.  

BMWDave

QuoteI'm a BIG fan of wagons but the 6 wagon is missing something.? There's something too plain about it, not sure?? Another issue I foresee is a starting price of $22,000.? How will that pan out when the Mazda 5 is starting at $18,000?? It's bigger and seats more.? Maybe because it's a I4?

It's got the Malibu MAXX, Legacy/Outback, Magnum, and V50. There are smaller segments of the market.
V50 not really because its more luxury inclined.

The malibu maxx is a quasi wagon, its more of a hatch.

The Magnum and Legacy I forgot totally about.  So those three cars are the only credible ones in the segment.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

V50 not really because its more luxury inclined.

The malibu maxx is a quasi wagon, its more of a hatch.

The Magnum and Legacy I forgot totally about.  So those three cars are the only credible ones in the segment.
The base V50 is comparably-priced to the Mazda6 wagon, and not especially luxurious. And the Maxx definitely counts as a competitor there, in that it's more of a wagon than a sedan.

That's a group of five, six if you count the Outback as its own vehicle.  

City Pig

Mazda6s 5speed

mazda6er

Mazda6s 5speed
Excellent taste.  ;)  Unfortunately I rock the 4-banger version.  :(  
--Mark

Catman

Mazda6s 5speed
Nice ride B)  

mazda6er

Mazda6s 5speed
Nice ride B)
What about me?!  :o   :angry:  
--Mark

Catman

mazda6er

QuoteYou too! :rockon:
Thank you.   :D  
--Mark

BMWDave

Nice rides, Mazda6er and city pig.  I am a big fan of the Mazda 6.

2007 Honda S2000

City Pig

Thank you. I really enjoy it and haven't regretted it yet (Except for that one service issue but.....I'm over it).

The practical side of me says I should have bought the 4cyl but the fun side of me was screaming 6!6!6! There were some availability issues with the 4cyl as well so I didn't have much of a choice.  

Laconian

How quickly do they depreciate?

I'm planning on getting 2 [used] cars when I graduate: a weekend/track roadster + an economy commuter car. It would be great if a 4cyl 6 would be within my price range.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

City Pig

I don't know or care....I leased so I don't have to worry about that crap ever again! I think they said the residual was 48% after 4 years if that means anything to you....I don't know anything about it.