A broken G35 Coupe

Started by Morris Minor, December 20, 2009, 04:00:28 PM

Morris Minor

Just had a call from my son. His car is is undriveable & he was supposed to be coming back from Annapolis today. Apparently there was a mishap of some kind when they were trying to get it out of the snow. There is a nasty noise coming from the engine area, a smell of burning & he has no brakes. Fuck.

He's saying that someone was revving the engine while they were extricating it & did not realize that the handbrake was on. But I don't know what that would do except fry the clutch.

I have no idea what's going on or any adequate details. But it's going to be expensive.  :heated: :heated: :lockedup:
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MX793

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 20, 2009, 04:00:28 PM
Just had a call from my son. His car is is undriveable & he was supposed to be coming back from Annapolis today. Apparently there was a mishap of some kind when they were trying to get it out of the snow. There is a nasty noise coming from the engine area, a smell of burning & he has no brakes. Fuck.

He's saying that someone was revving the engine while they were extricating it & did not realize that the handbrake was on. But I don't know what that would do except fry the clutch.

I have no idea what's going on or any adequate details. But it's going to be expensive.  :heated: :heated: :lockedup:

RWD being revved in gear with the parking brake on?  Probably toasted the rear brakes as well as cooked the clutch.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

DAMN that sucks. Ah and it was stickshift too? Brembos cost money

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

J86

Mishap trying to get it out of the snow.  Sure.  Fried it doin' donuts. :lol:

S204STi

I bet he shredded the clutch.  Bummer.

ifcar

Quote from: J86 on December 20, 2009, 08:17:36 PM
Mishap trying to get it out of the snow.  Sure.  Fried it doin' donuts. :lol:

"I have no idea why the handbrake would have been up!"

Morris Minor

I'm still trying to figure out how he could have no braking. He actually had to run into a snow drift to stop, was pushing the pedal as hard as he could. I'll find out more later today.

My poor wife has been running all over creation rescuing her nephew who was stranded in Atlanta because of the East Coast snow storm. Now she''s not going to be able to be with her own son on her birthday tomorrow.

Morris Minor

Update:
Just had a call from a highly-embarrassed son. The mechanic inspected and tested the car; there is, and never was, anything wrong with the car.

The symptoms: the weird braking, the smell etc. were the ABS & traction control trying to keep the car under control, and my oblivious son alive, as he drove on the sheet ice yesterday on Annapolis' streets. :facepalm:

The car was just doing its job & showed that traction control & ABS cannot overcome the laws of physics.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

r0tor

you sure you got a son and not a daughter?  :facepalm:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

mzziaz

Lol.

However, you need to tell your son to slow down.
Cuore Sportivo

J86

giant_mtb

Sounds like he tries to drive too fast in the winter. :huh: 

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

HA!

I was borrowing my Dad's car to drive 2hrs to go see my girlfriend (and get engaged!?)
I stopped at the reststop 3miles into the journey (dont' remember why) and the car wouldn't start. Pre-cellphones I borrowed a phone inside the truck weight office.

Dad drove out but before he got there I realized I'd turned the car off and left it in "Drive"........   :hammerhead:
No wonder the key wasn't doing anything!....
Will