How come I don't see any 1ers out there?

Started by TurboDan, December 20, 2009, 06:29:31 PM

TurboDan

They seem like cool enough cars. 230HP I6 engine, great handling, not a lot of frills to break down. I live in an area where BMWs are extremely popular, but I can't tell you the last time I saw a 1er on the road. The 3er still rules supreme.

The only thing that would prevent me from buying one is the price. For the car it is, I think it's overpriced. Even if they priced it $4K less, I'd probably give it some much more serious thought. I'd rather buy another Passat or a CC (even an S40), perhaps pick up a 3er off a lease for the same price. Also, I have to say that the Mazda3 and VW GTI both give it a run for its money at a much lower price.

FWIW, I just saw an '07 3er with 27K miles for only $17K and change. I was extremely tempted, but the Passat just hit 100K and has a few years left.

ifcar

How often do you see any two-door BMWs? I see 1-Serieses just as often as current 3-Series coupes, but neither with any frequency.

Raza

I do see them less often than 3 series coupes.  I think it's a combination of a few things:

1.  Men often equate size with status.  Small luxury hasn't been that big in the US (sorry).
2.  Women like small, cute cars.
3.  The 1 series, while small and good looking, is not cute. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

I've seen one or two running around.  The nearest BMW dealer doesn't even carry any in stock that I've seen.  Although from driving through their lot a few times over the past couple of months, they don't carry much of anything in their new car lot.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

It's ugly, and the 3-series is bigger and not much more.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on December 20, 2009, 06:53:04 PM
It's ugly, and the 3-series is bigger and not much more.
And not much heavier. The 1 to me failed on many levels.

Payman

A guy up the street has one... I'm sick of looking at it.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

cawimmer430

Move to Europe and you'll see them everyday: sedan, 2-door and coupe.  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

TurboDan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 20, 2009, 08:12:26 PM
Move to Europe and you'll see them everyday: sedan, 2-door and coupe.  :praise:

How do they price them over there? Like Greg said, they just seem to be priced too high for what they are in the U.S. market. It seems like they want to sell one of their cheaper cars at a big premium simply because "it's a BMW." And it doesn't seem to be working. Drop the price to start at $24K and I think they'd move a lot more of them.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: TurboDan on December 20, 2009, 08:25:16 PM
How do they price them over there? Like Greg said, they just seem to be priced too high for what they are in the U.S. market. It seems like they want to sell one of their cheaper cars at a big premium simply because "it's a BMW." And it doesn't seem to be working. Drop the price to start at $24K and I think they'd move a lot more of them.
They would have to put 4 bangers in them at that price (which I wouldn't mind personally). Don't know if BMW is willing to move that far downmarket. Can't imagine a huge profit margin on a 25K Bimmer, no matter how decontented.

TurboDan

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 20, 2009, 09:28:00 PM
They would have to put 4 bangers in them at that price (which I wouldn't mind personally). Don't know if BMW is willing to move that far downmarket. Can't imagine a huge profit margin on a 25K Bimmer, no matter how decontented.

Eh, the old 318i had a four-banger, right? And they have plenty of them in their European stable. I think they'd do better selling this car at a lower price with a less powerful engine. The people who are buying 1ers aren't too concerned with having tons of power anyway - they just want a new BMW any way they can get their hands on it.

the Teuton

If they made a turbo 4 1er at $25k or less, I'd rock it for my first newer car.

I saw a 135i yesterday. I think the car is charming. It's a hell of a lot smaller than the 3er, a hell of a lot less useful, not much lighter, and not much cheaper.

It makes about as much sense as an X6 would in the Paris-Dakar.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

TurboDan

Quote from: the Teuton on December 20, 2009, 09:45:28 PM
If they made a turbo 4 1er at $25k or less, I'd rock it for my first newer car.

I saw a 135i yesterday. I think the car is charming. It's a hell of a lot smaller than the 3er, a hell of a lot less useful, not much lighter, and not much cheaper.

It makes about as much sense as an X6 would in the Paris-Dakar.

I like smaller, semi-luxury cars. Hell, I was a big fan of the C230 Kompressor coupe a few years back. I'd take a 1er too if it was priced right.

Cookie Monster

I personally see way more 3er hardtop convertibles than any 3 series, and I've seen a 1er twice before. I see more 3er verts than I do the sedan.

And IMO the 1 series looks awkward when compared to the 3 series.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

cawimmer430

Quote from: TurboDan on December 20, 2009, 08:25:16 PM

I'll focus on the coupe and convertible since you guys don't get the sedan and 2-door. Below are the prices with the standard German 19% VAT. $ 24,000? We Europeans can only dream about such prices.  :frown:

120i (170-hp): ? 28,200
125i (218-hp): ? 32,550
135i (306-hp): ? 40,100

118d (143-hp): ? 27,600
120d (177-hp): ? 29,750
123d (204-hp): ? 33,450

Source: http://www.bmw.de/de/de/newvehicles/1series/coupe/2007/allfacts/prices_service/prices.html

It's difficult to define if your average European or BMW shopper feels the entry-level 120i and 118d are well-equipped, but I suspect these cars are mainly bought for "driving fun" purposes and perhaps badge reasons. I know that in my stripper 118i hatch of my sister the only options she ordered extra were nice rims, nice exterior trim, an automatic transmission, sunroof and the aluminum (actually aluminum-imitating plastic) interior. I personally could live without all those options except the nice rims and exterior trim, which mean more to me, personally, than a sunroof etc.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Because it looks like a 3 series affected with dwarfism.

ChrisV

I see a lot of young guys wanting to look cool in 3 sereis. the only 1ers I see are drivein by older people who wanted performance and not so much concerned about looking like the typical 3 series geek. One of my coworkers has a 135i that got maybe $15-20k worth of upgrades out of the BMW motorsports catalog before it even left the dealers when it was new (he ordered the car, then ordered all the parts and had them installed before picking it up). Turbo upgrades, exhaust upgrades, suspension and brake up grades, etc. Very rapid little car, and quite muscular looking.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

I see lots of 1 series cars around here.  Not as many as the 3 series, but enough of them.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: TurboDan on December 20, 2009, 10:04:21 PM
I like smaller, semi-luxury cars. Hell, I was a big fan of the C230 Kompressor coupe a few years back. I'd take a 1er too if it was priced right.
Yea I am a big fan of A4s and 3's. For someone living in a city a car like that is a good compromise. But the 1 is too ugly & low quality inside.

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on December 20, 2009, 06:29:31 PM
They seem like cool enough cars. 230HP I6 engine, great handling, not a lot of frills to break down. I live in an area where BMWs are extremely popular, but I can't tell you the last time I saw a 1er on the road. The 3er still rules supreme.

The only thing that would prevent me from buying one is the price. For the car it is, I think it's overpriced. Even if they priced it $4K less, I'd probably give it some much more serious thought. I'd rather buy another Passat or a CC (even an S40), perhaps pick up a 3er off a lease for the same price. Also, I have to say that the Mazda3 and VW GTI both give it a run for its money at a much lower price.

FWIW, I just saw an '07 3er with 27K miles for only $17K and change. I was extremely tempted, but the Passat just hit 100K and has a few years left.

I was just at BMW of Darien today for servicing, and I was talking to my salesman about the 1er.  I saw one in the showroom, and commented that the price was high for what was supposed to be an entry level car.  He said that after they introduced the car, they started putting stuff like a bigger engine in it, and that a 135 costs more than a 328.  Maybe that explains why you see more 3-series than 1-series cars on the road.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on December 20, 2009, 06:54:12 PM
Overpriced.

See my post above.  I've come to the same conclusion.  Typically, you got there with fewer words.  :tounge:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

r0tor

there is a 135i that i see around town every once in a while and that thing looks amazing... but they are just overpriced
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Vinsanity

Quote from: dazzleman on December 21, 2009, 12:46:53 PM
I was just at BMW of Darien today for servicing, and I was talking to my salesman about the 1er.  I saw one in the showroom, and commented that the price was high for what was supposed to be an entry level car.  He said that after they introduced the car, they started putting stuff like a bigger engine in it, and that a 135 costs more than a 328.  Maybe that explains why you see more 3-series than 1-series cars on the road.

yeah my ex gf's 128 convertible is already close to the starting price of a 335 sedan :mask:

Alan

Quote from: TurboDan on December 20, 2009, 06:29:31 PM

Wow... was this at a dealership or a private sale!?  Does anyone know if there is a website that specializes in finding used cars that just came off of a lease?

I am looking for a new car and am leaning towards an 06/07 3er with around 30K miles..I test drove one last night and loved it!

2o6

I think that a 120 hatch would be the perfect entry level BMW. Enough power to make it fun, thrifty, and still offers the BMW quality.

93JC

I posit that people don't buy them because they're useless. Some other cars are useless too, but people who can afford to own cars that are useless can afford better ones than the 1-series. Therefore people don't buy 1-serieseses.

TurboDan

Quote from: Alan on December 21, 2009, 03:01:11 PM
Wow... was this at a dealership or a private sale!?  Does anyone know if there is a website that specializes in finding used cars that just came off of a lease?

I am looking for a new car and am leaning towards an 06/07 3er with around 30K miles..I test drove one last night and loved it!

Was at a Dodge dealership, ironically. I stopped by to pick up a part for my mom's Durango and it was sitting on the lot. The thing was "Firetruck Red" so to speak, but I think I could deal with that...

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on December 21, 2009, 03:19:08 PM
I think that a 120 hatch would be the perfect entry level BMW. Enough power to make it fun, thrifty, and still offers the BMW quality.

I agree. The 1-series should be an entry-level BMW to get people "hooked" on the brand who may have overlooked a 3er due to its price tag. Much like the 4cyl C-Class once was for MB. Pricing it to where it actually is somewhat on par with the 3er is just pointless. The deals probably won't even be good on the used market.