What did we learn in 2009?

Started by the Teuton, December 27, 2009, 11:50:35 AM

the Teuton

If the cars had no merit of goodness to them, GM wouldn't be frantic about losing its Saturn (and Pontiac, for that matter) shoppers to foreign brands and Ford.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on December 27, 2009, 07:35:44 PM
It wasn't the best, but it was competitive.

Saturns had a lot going for them:

- An EXCELLENT dealer experience

- Frugal Cars

- Well built and reliable.......quite competitive with Honda and Toyota.

- Unique plastic body panels that intrigued the customer

That's not the argument.  Jacob said that there was an emphasis on quality when it came to Saturns.  That's the argument.  Quality is not the first word to come to mind at all.

And those plastic body panels?  Expensive as fuck.  There's a reason why no one uses them anymore.  They killed profit margins.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: the Teuton on December 27, 2009, 07:20:03 PM
Manufactured by detractors?

Every bleeding heart liberal journalist in the US drives a Honda, Toyota, or Volvo.

If the problems weren't there, no one would be reporting them.

Every automaker has its issues, just most aren't getting the press that Toyota is because none of had the recent success that Toyota has.

As to the "unintended acceleration" issue - still not one shred of evidence exists (at least publicly).

MrH

Quote from: the Teuton on December 27, 2009, 07:45:14 PM
If the cars had no merit of goodness to them, GM wouldn't be frantic about losing its Saturn (and Pontiac, for that matter) shoppers to foreign brands and Ford.

GM is frantic to loose customers.  Period.  That is completely unrelated to the cars, and proves nothing about them.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on December 27, 2009, 07:42:50 PM
I don't care about the circumstances.  They could be given $3 and a pile of shit to work with.  If it's not a great car, then I'm not impressed.

It was a good car.

As evidenced by the loyal followers. It was the ION that destroyed the brand.

Quote from: the Teuton on December 27, 2009, 07:38:40 PM
GM sucked in the 1990s. The fact that an autonomous brand with a relatively tiny budget was able to make something competitive is still pretty impressive. I live with an early model. Believe me, I don't apologize for the rattling around the center console and squeaking hard plastics. I have to listen to that crap.

I'm saying that the brand was able to a) gain people's trust, b) build a quality product at a competitive price away from any of GM's pre-existing engineering, and c) make something leaps and bounds better than any economy car GM had ever made at that point.

It had an independent rear suspension -- something the Cavalier, Ion, and Cobalt have never had. It had a relatively sophisticated DOHC engine well before Ecotec ever came about. It had a space frame design so the plastic panels didn't have to bear any structural force.

The car was genius, a great idea. It was just marketed poorly and drained of all life once GM Corporate got its hands on it.

Edit: My brother's 1999 with the same interior panels on the dash doesn't have any of the rattling problems mine has.

Also, IRS is a little worthless given that engineering have brought modern suspension advances that kinda make it a little useless on this type of car.

Quote from: MrH on December 27, 2009, 07:45:33 PM
That's not the argument.  Jacob said that there was an emphasis on quality when it came to Saturns.  That's the argument.  Quality is not the first word to come to mind at all.

And those plastic body panels?  Expensive as fuck.  There's a reason why no one uses them anymore.  They killed profit margins.

I thought it was because the entire car shared seemingly NOTHING with other GM models?

Quote from: MrH on December 27, 2009, 07:46:39 PM
GM is frantic to loose customers.  Period.  That is completely unrelated to the cars, and proves nothing about them.

Lose.

the Teuton

Quote from: MrH on December 27, 2009, 07:45:33 PM
That's not the argument.  Jacob said that there was an emphasis on quality when it came to Saturns.  That's the argument.  Quality is not the first word to come to mind at all.

And those plastic body panels?  Expensive as fuck.  There's a reason why no one uses them anymore.  They killed profit margins.

I said quality? Maybe quality of the experience -- buying the sizzle, as well as the steak -- but I don't think Saturn is the highest quality car company out there. I'm probably going to switch back to a Subaru in a few years.

I'm saying the car was more than competitive for the marketplace at the time, and GM screwed the pooch.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on December 27, 2009, 07:48:20 PM
I said quality? Maybe quality of the experience -- buying the sizzle, as well as the steak -- but I don't think Saturn is the highest quality car company out there. I'm probably going to switch back to a Subaru in a few years.

I'm saying the car was more than competitive for the marketplace at the time, and GM screwed the pooch.

The ION should have been better.

The Quad coupe didn't seem to be too bad of a car, but the sedan was a fail.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on December 27, 2009, 07:50:29 PM

The ION should have been better.

The Quad coupe didn't seem to be too bad of a car, but the sedan was a fail.

I believe Car and Driver's assessment said it best: "We waited 10 years for this?"

The Ion was a terrible follow-up. The Vue was perfect, for all intents and purposes.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on December 27, 2009, 07:52:30 PM

The Ion was a terrible follow-up. The Vue was perfect, for all intents and purposes.

The Ion at least maintained the S-Series' reliability record. The Vue sure didn't.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on December 27, 2009, 08:08:10 PM
The Ion at least maintained the S-Series' reliability record. The Vue sure didn't.

Good point.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on December 27, 2009, 08:08:10 PM

It was that CVT, wasn't it?

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on December 27, 2009, 08:13:05 PM
It was that CVT, wasn't it?

Only the 4-cylinder Vue had a CVT. And looking at the reliability trouble charts, the problem seems to have been....everything, except the audio system and air conditioning.

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on December 27, 2009, 07:47:45 PM
It was a good car.

As evidenced by the loyal followers. It was the ION that destroyed the brand.

Having a small group of loyal followers doesn't make it a good car.

Also, IRS is a little worthless given that engineering have brought modern suspension advances that kinda make it a little useless on this type of car.

Ah yes, IRS's are useless.  You're an idiot.  Why do you even bring up things you don't understand?

I thought it was because the entire car shared seemingly NOTHING with other GM models?

It shared some things with other models.  The plastic panels surely didn't help the situation though.

Lose.

Hey jackass.  People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stone.  Quit being a nitpicking little bitch.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

hotrodalex

Quote from: the Teuton on December 27, 2009, 07:32:13 PM
The media picks its darlings and its villains. Right now, Toyota is a really good villain because it is on top.

I still don't think Toyota's troubles are close to over yet.

I don't think the problems are widespread enough for it to affect them much. The general public doesn't know most of the dirt on Toyota. The people on this board do, but we are not "normal people".

2o6

Ok, saying IRS was dumb was stupid of me. Especially when most good cars use it...... :hammerhead:

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on December 27, 2009, 08:25:45 PM

Why are you getting so touchy? It's a Saturn, man.

You just go around to every thread and try and correct people.  90% of the time, it useless dribble on shit you don't understand.  Every other post is from you in most of the car related threads.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: MrH on December 27, 2009, 09:12:11 PM
You just go around to every thread and try and correct people.  90% of the time, it useless dribble on shit you don't understand.  Every other post is from you in most of the car related threads.

So, I guess I should shut up and leave the forum, huh?

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20865.msg1231281#msg1231281 date=1261973721
Nothing.  That much is clear.

I suppose.

A lot of things seem to be the culmination of problems that existed before now. They're just now coming out.

the Teuton

As someone who has driven both a 1995 Saturn SL2 and a 2009 Dodge Caliber, I've got to say that I don't think the Saturn is that bad of a car. :huh:

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on December 27, 2009, 09:29:14 PM
As someone who has driven both a 1995 Saturn SL2 and a 2009 Dodge Caliber, I've got to say that I don't think the Saturn is that bad of a car. :huh:

Considering how you've compared the cars you've owned "favorably" against other cars in the past, your opinion is suspect on this matter.  I have a hard time believing the SL2 does anything better than the Caliber.  14 years is just a near-insurmountable gap, especially in this class, as cheap cars have exponentially increased in quality recently.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20865.msg1231297#msg1231297 date=1261974742
Considering how you've compared the cars you've owned "favorably" against other cars in the past, your opinion is suspect on this matter.  I have a hard time believing the SL2 does anything better than the Caliber.  14 years is just a near-insurmountable gap, especially in this class, as cheap cars have exponentially increased in quality recently.

But it is a Caliber...

:ohyeah:

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on December 27, 2009, 09:32:22 PM
Considering how you've compared the cars you've owned "favorably" against other cars in the past, your opinion is suspect on this matter.  I have a hard time believing the SL2 does anything better than the Caliber.  14 years is just a near-insurmountable gap, especially in this class, as cheap cars have exponentially increased in quality recently.

To be fair, recent Chrysler passenger cars have definitely regressed in many ways, and the Saturn is at least better at being an economy car than the un-economical Caliber.

the Teuton

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=20865.msg1231297#msg1231297 date=1261974742

I believe it is quicker, among other things. If you'd rather own a Caliber, that's your own choice. I'd recommend you drive both before making that sort of commitment, though. If you really have your heart set on the Caliber, perhaps your Saturn example has either been beaten into the ground, or you just might need to be committed to an institution.

I won't even pretend to troll on this one. The Caliber is rubbish.

MrH

Quote from: the Teuton on December 27, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

You're comparing it to quite possibly the worst car being made today.  I'm in shock Calibers are even produced.  In fact, I'm shocked by most Dodge/Chrysler products these days.  They're that bad.

I think that you can even compare you 95 saturn to a caliber speaks more about the caliber than it does your car. :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

the Teuton

ChrisV

After reading comments over at Grassroots Motorsports for years, I have to conclude that the early Saturns were actually decent little cars. They hold up well over time, deliver excellent fuel mileage, tend to be well suited to motorsports use, even though they never had to. They definitely were competetive in their market, and gained a loyal following for good reason. There was vastly more right with Saturn at the time than there was wrong. And yes, GM blew it with Saturn after gaining all that good will from the consumer.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on December 27, 2009, 07:46:30 PM
Every automaker has its issues, just most aren't getting the press that Toyota is because none of had the recent success that Toyota has.

As to the "unintended acceleration" issue - still not one shred of evidence exists (at least publicly).

Not a shred of evidence?  Toyota has already come forward and admitted there's a problem with the floor mats sticking under the accelerator and have implemented a short term fix for current cars (IIRC, they're tying the mats to the seat mounts to keep them from shifting forward) and is in the works on modifying the design of the throttle pedal for future cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on December 28, 2009, 07:59:43 AM
Not a shred of evidence?  Toyota has already come forward and admitted there's a problem with the floor mats sticking under the accelerator and have implemented a short term fix for current cars (IIRC, they're tying the mats to the seat mounts to keep them from shifting forward) and is in the works on modifying the design of the throttle pedal for future cars.

It could just be a PR move. "We're not ignoring this, honest!"