What did we learn in 2009?

Started by the Teuton, December 27, 2009, 11:50:35 AM

ChrisV

Quote from: ifcar on December 28, 2009, 08:06:41 AM
It could just be a PR move. "We're not ignoring this, honest!"

The difference bwtween this and Audi is that the solution that was agreed on for teh Audi situation would not have worked had the problem actually existed as described, while the Toyota fix changes the cars to fix the issue as described. Toyota very well may end up with a black eye on this the way Mitsubishi did in the home market for its years of coverups.

But probably not, because this many issues with a Domestic car would be enough to end the company, but Toyota will get a pass, as usual.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on December 27, 2009, 10:14:56 PM
You're comparing it to quite possibly the worst car being made today.  I'm in shock Calibers are even produced.

I really like how they look..  :mask:
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on December 28, 2009, 07:59:43 AM
Not a shred of evidence?  Toyota has already come forward and admitted there's a problem with the floor mats sticking under the accelerator and have implemented a short term fix for current cars (IIRC, they're tying the mats to the seat mounts to keep them from shifting forward) and is in the works on modifying the design of the throttle pedal for future cars.

Sorry, floor mats don't jam accelerators and blast the car into a retaining wall. At best it's a PR move like ifcar suggests. Actually telling people what looks to be the truth ("quit driving like idiots and blaming us for it") would be a PR disaster.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on December 28, 2009, 10:51:50 PM
Sorry, floor mats don't jam accelerators and blast the car into a retaining wall. At best it's a PR move like ifcar suggests. Actually telling people what looks to be the truth ("quit driving like idiots and blaming us for it") would be a PR disaster.

The floor mat absolutely can jam the accelerator if somebody floors it to get up to speed on the highway and in the process bunches the floor mat against the bottom of the pedal, or if the mat is too long and the pedal catches under the front edge of the mat.

And Toyota recalled cars a couple of years ago for this exact same issue (all-weather mats that were too long and could trap the accelerator).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on December 28, 2009, 10:51:50 PM
I've had it happen in our Ford Freestyle.  Luckily I realized what happened before we hit anything.  The floor mat came unhooked from the little plastic hook on the floor the pedal got caught under the edge of the mat.

the Teuton

And now it becomes apparent why GM uses such thin, cheap-ass floor mats in its cars...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!