Why does the radio in my sisters BMW 118i SUCK so much?

Started by cawimmer430, December 28, 2009, 08:35:38 AM

cawimmer430

I am not an expert on radios but my main problem with it is the lack of radio stations and the piss poor reception at times. Ever since my sister got the car the radio was been literally crap. In Munich or in M?hldorf I usually only receive 3 radio stations while the rest are either static or simply not listed. I have to vent because today I only had one radio station the whole day: Bayern 3, which is the third radio station of the Bavarian state (there is also Bayern 1, Bayern 2 and Bayern 4) - and I didn't receive any others. All other frequencies were static. I played around with the AM, FM1 and FM2 settings and in both FM settings I got the same results.

Now, our E-Class on the other hand has a radio which offers you multiple radio stations, excellent reception and so forth. Even when I once visited my sister near Stuttgart with the E320 I could still listen to Bayern 3 despite being in another state. Hell, when I was in the heart of Stuttgart I still had Bayern 3 and superb reception. When I drove to Stuttgart and N?rburg with the BMW I couldn't listen to Bayern 3 anymore once I left Bavaria (literally): the reception on that station went out the window and the state radio of Baden-W?rttemberg (the state with Stuttgart as its capital) essentially replaced this radio station.

What the hell is wrong with this BMW radio? Is it the fault of the radio, the antenna or some other factor? I've driven the 118i and E320 on similar routes and the radio found in the E320 always delivers excellent reception and a healthy choice of radio stations.

So what is wrong here?  :huh:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

3.0L V6

Is the antenna integrated into the windshield or rear glass or is it a mast antenna?

cawimmer430

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on December 28, 2009, 08:54:03 AM
Is the antenna integrated into the windshield or rear glass or is it a mast antenna?

It's located on the roof of the car. It's removable too. Whenever I bring the car to a car wash I have to unscrew it and store it inside the car.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

S204STi

It would be best to compare it to another 1 series to determine whether it's normal for the vehicle line or if it's possible that your radio happens to have issues.  A mast antenna like that is the best kind, but even then it has to be tuned to a broad range of frequencies meaning that's it's a jack of all trades but master of none.

You could find out if an electronics store can get you a longer mast.

cawimmer430

Quote from: R-inge on December 28, 2009, 09:29:13 AM
It would be best to compare it to another 1 series to determine whether it's normal for the vehicle line or if it's possible that your radio happens to have issues.  A mast antenna like that is the best kind, but even then it has to be tuned to a broad range of frequencies meaning that's it's a jack of all trades but master of none.

You could find out if an electronics store can get you a longer mast.

Thanks for the info.  :cheers:

The mast of the antenna is already quite long, but the reception in most areas is just terrible. I know a couple of 1-Series drivers but it never occurred to me to ask them if they have similar issues and the same radio as I do. Will have to do that.

It's still weird because the antenna on our E320 is on the roof and is just a little stump.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Meh, if it's that terrible and the vehicle's still under warranty, I'd say just take it to the dealer and explain what's happening.  The worse they could say is "sorry, you're outta luck." :ohyeah:

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 28, 2009, 09:53:10 AM
Meh, if it's that terrible and the vehicle's still under warranty, I'd say just take it to the dealer and explain what's happening.  The worse they could say is "sorry, you're outta luck." :ohyeah:

The next time I am in M?hldorf I will. I really need more radio stations!  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

S204STi

Not totally related, but I remember having to mess around with XM satellite radio installations on Nissans where they had you install the antenna in the windshield, which is probably the worst place to put it other than under the seats or something.  Naturally people would then gripe because the entire eastern seaboard is covered in trees, and NH is in a particularly hilly region, and XM requires line of site to work properly.  So reception was awful, but there was nothing I could do about it.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

cawimmer430

Quote from: R-inge on December 28, 2009, 11:09:20 AM
Not totally related, but I remember having to mess around with XM satellite radio installations on Nissans where they had you install the antenna in the windshield, which is probably the worst place to put it other than under the seats or something.  Naturally people would then gripe because the entire eastern seaboard is covered in trees, and NH is in a particularly hilly region, and XM requires line of site to work properly.  So reception was awful, but there was nothing I could do about it.

My parents used to have a Ford Telstar in the Philippines. It looked exactly like the one below in the photo except it was brown and didn't have the antenna where this Telstar has it. It was located inside the trunk, under the lid. I've always thought this was "WEIRD".

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: MrH on December 28, 2009, 01:40:28 PM
Who wants to listen to German music anyways?  :evildude:

I don't listen to any modern German music, thank the Lord! I only listen to 80s (and some 80s German music) and Bayern 3 plays a lot of 80s.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

280Z Turbo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 28, 2009, 05:46:21 PM
I picture Wimmer driving along listening to this on a constant loop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQYQTFudrqc

They only export the more "normal" sounding stuff.   ;)
You should hear the stuff that DOESN'T get popular elsewhere....
Will

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Rupert

Literally crap, eh, Wimmer? That's definitely something covered under the warranty.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

93JC

Speaking of "Rock Me, Amadeus", I almost forgot about this commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZedRNg9kO-o

I imagine this is how all Germans drive: around a track bobbing their heads to Falco.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

omicron

European cars have never had particularly good radio reception down under, especially with AM radio. I had this discussion a few months back at work with a customer, and I'm told his current-model Statesman could pick up an AM broadcast from Auckland when the car was in Geelong - a good 2700km/1677 miles away. Even the Lexcen can pick up the odd station from Melbourne (700km/435 miles away) given favourable weather conditions.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on December 28, 2009, 11:22:26 PM
You disassemble your radio antenna at the carwash?

Many people do.  The carwash people always unscrewed mine when I had my Passat, because I'd always forget.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 28, 2009, 05:46:21 PM
I picture Wimmer driving along listening to this on a constant loop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQYQTFudrqc

This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment and Warner Bros. Entertainment. It is no longer available in your country.

:facepalm:

What song was it?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Psilos on December 28, 2009, 08:23:42 PM
Literally crap, eh, Wimmer? That's definitely something covered under the warranty.

I'm going to ask my fellow 1-Series drivers on Germancarzone.com if they have similar problems. Sucks that most of them live in Sweden and the UK so things might be different there...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

I don't "disassemble" the antenna, I unscrew it because otherwise the car wash brushes etc. would destroy it. This is a BMW 1-Series antenna below.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

S204STi

Wimmer, what's the German interpretation of, "Unscrew my antenna?"

MX793

It's recommended that you take the antenna off before entering an automated car wash (except for the touchless ones) or the brushes will rip it off.  If you have an automatic retractable antenna, you should shut the stereo off so it retracts.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Byteme

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 28, 2009, 03:52:22 PM
I don't listen to any modern German music, thank the Lord! I only listen to 80s (and some 80s German music) and Bayern 3 plays a lot of 80s.  :praise:

The 80's sucked, music wise.    ;)

cawimmer430

Quote from: R-inge on December 29, 2009, 07:44:58 AM
Wimmer, what's the German interpretation of, "Unscrew my antenna?"

Ah, this is going in the direction of sexual slang, eh?  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de