Arizona may give up speed cameras

Started by ifcar, January 03, 2010, 02:19:59 PM

ifcar

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/us/03arizona.html?ref=us

PHOENIX (AP) ? More than a year after Arizona became the first state in the country to deploy dozens of speed cameras on highways statewide, threats to the groundbreaking program abound.

Profits are far below expectations, a citizen effort to ban the cameras is gaining steam, the governor has said she does not like the program, and more and more drivers are ignoring the tickets they get in the mail after hearing from fellow speeders that there are often no consequences to doing so.

giant_mtb

dazzleman

I really don't believe in speed cameras.  I think they go too far.

The governor of my state proposed them, but they didn't pass.

Speed cameras are nakedly about raising revenue.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

J86

MaxPower

Maine is ahead of the game - it outlawed red light and speed cameras earlier this year.  Not even gonna screw around with the idea.   :clap:

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TBR

The town where my brother goes to school voted to have the red light cameras taken out. Good news to see people seeing the light with these things.

The speed cameras effectively tell speeders that it's okay to speed, just not by too much. That would only further the opinion that speed limits, as set today, are quite illegitimate, with little engineering or even common sense behind them.

ChrisV

QuoteThursday Jan. 28th | Home ? CA/Local ? California drivers may soon face speed cameras
California drivers may soon face speed cameras
Jan. 8, 2010 | KPCC

SACRAMENTO ? California drivers who race through intersections might soon be caught on camera, a move designed to bolster the state budget with speeding fines.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger wants to retrofit 500 city and county traffic lights already equipped with cameras to capture drivers who run red lights with a system to snap the license plates of speeders, too.

Under the plan proposed Friday, fines would range from $225 to $325. The state would collect 85 percent of the money, using the projected $338 million to help pay for courts and court security as it scrapes for money to close a $20 billion deficit.

The state estimates each of the 500 cameras would catch 4,800 speeders annually ? 2.4 million tickets a year statewide. Speeders who blow through red lights would be hit with fines for both violations.

This is despite the fact that 10 years ago, the legislature expressly rejected using cameras for speeding and stated they were illegal.

QuoteIn 2000, the California legislature banned photo radar with a statute clarifying that although it authorized the use of red light cameras, the legislature, "does not authorize the use of photo radar for speed enforcement purposes by any jurisdiction." (CVC 21455.6) The legislature also rejected several bills that would have authorized automated speeding ticket programs.

"The state would collect 85 percent of the money, using the projected $338 million to help pay for courts and court security as it scrapes for money to close a $20 billion deficit."

At least they are up front that it's a money grab.

All I know is that red light cameras and speed cameras are a boon to the drunk driver who only has to worry about a small fine, rather than an officer on scene to make a judgement call and give them a DUI. Same for people who are stealing cars or have warrants outstanding who are in state from somewhere else (and thus the licence plate in the picture will match up with some other shmuk's car...). Let the owner get the ticket in the mail.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Colonel Cadillac

Jefferson Parish, the county next to New Orleans, just suspended the speed/red light cameras because some government official was getting a percentage of the proceeds. I'm really hoping Orleans parish follows suit.

Colin

There was a mobile van on the I10 yesterday between Tucson and Phoneix .. but at least there were three warning signs as you approached. I don't think anyone was exceeding the 75mph limit at the time.

Did see plenty of police cars parked up on the shoulder or the central verge, presumbaly waiting for some unsuspecting speeder to shoot by. The trucks seemed to be going faster than the cars.

Byteme

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on January 29, 2010, 11:16:28 AM
Jefferson Parish, the county next to New Orleans, just suspended the speed/red light cameras because some government official was getting a percentage of the proceeds. I'm really hoping Orleans parish follows suit.

But think of the carnage on the roads that will result from no cameras.  Where is your compassion man? Think of the children.    ;)

NomisR

Quote from: EtypeJohn on February 03, 2010, 10:21:30 AM
But think of the carnage on the roads that will result from no cameras.  Where is your compassion man? Think of the children.    ;)

Damn children playing on the freeways!!!  :rage:

dazzleman

Quote from: Colin on February 03, 2010, 08:17:08 AM
There was a mobile van on the I10 yesterday between Tucson and Phoneix .. but at least there were three warning signs as you approached. I don't think anyone was exceeding the 75mph limit at the time.

Did see plenty of police cars parked up on the shoulder or the central verge, presumbaly waiting for some unsuspecting speeder to shoot by. The trucks seemed to be going faster than the cars.

It's so much fun to get through those nets.  Even more fun to strategically speed when you know the bears are in full hunting mode.... :devil:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!