Would you buy an SUV/Minivan from Colorado?

Started by SVT666, January 05, 2010, 12:21:55 PM

Would you buy an SUV from Colorado?

Yes.  Salt use isn't that bad there.
4 (57.1%)
No way.  Thy use way too much salt.
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

SVT666

We're looking at buying a Ford Explorer or a Dodge Grand Caravan in Denver win a month.  I'm also checking out California again, but Denver allows me to buy the truck/van and then go to a Avalanche vs. Oilers hockey game before I come back.  San Jose isn't playing at home at that time, so I would rather go to Colorado.

:lol:

Anyway, does anyone know what the salt use is like on Colorado roads?  I would never buy a car from out east because the salt use out there is ridiculous.  Out here in western Canada salt use isn't bad at all, but I don't know anything about Colorado.

Colonel Cadillac

The roads where I was in Colorado didn't get overly salted. They tended to plow the road to an acceptable level, and let the snow just get packed down.

Payman

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 05, 2010, 12:21:55 PM
We're looking at buying a Ford Explorer or a Dodge Grand Caravan in Denver win a month.  I'm also checking out California again, but Denver allows me to buy the truck/van and then go to a Avalanche vs. Oilers hockey game before I come back.  San Jose isn't playing at home at that time, so I would rather go to Colorado.

:lol:

Anyway, does anyone know what the salt use is like on Colorado roads?  I would never buy a car from out east because the salt use out there is ridiculous.  Out here in western Canada salt use isn't bad at all, but I don't know anything about Colorado.

Why those vehicles when there are far better to choose from? Why buy American spec when there are good deals on Cdn spec vehicles here? Looking at new or slightly used?

Tave

CDOT has been using sand and gravel for awhile now. No salt. Enjoy.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Quote from: Payman on January 05, 2010, 12:38:02 PM
Why those vehicles when there are far better to choose from? Why buy American spec when there are good deals on Cdn spec vehicles here? Looking at new or slightly used?
Used vehicles in the US are much cheaper then they are in Canada and the dollar is nearly on par right now.  As for those vehicles, we really like them.  You have to go to a 5 or 6 year old Honda Odyssey for the same price as a 2008 Grand Caravan and there's nothing wrong with the Dodge.  We would prefer the Explorer because it has off-road capability and no other off-road capable SUV is $16K for a well optioned 2007 model. 

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on January 05, 2010, 12:51:10 PM
CDOT has been using sand and gravel for awhile now. No salt. Enjoy.
They have to use some salt or else the sand just freezes together in big clumps.  So, what you're saying is they use very little then?

S204STi

We use mag chloride very sparingly, mainly on major interstates. I've been working on cars here for 3 years now and have never seen corrosion issues like you'd see from a mid west or east coast car.  Basically the worst thing that the mag chloride does is pit chrome.  Well, that and pollute the ground water.  The sand they use in other areas has probably some salt in it as you suggest.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on January 05, 2010, 02:35:27 PM
We use mag chloride very sparingly, mainly on major interstates. I've been working on cars here for 3 years now and have never seen corrosion issues like you'd see from a mid west or east coast car.  Basically the worst thing that the mag chloride does is pit chrome.  Well, that and pollute the ground water.  The sand they use in other areas has probably some salt in it as you suggest.
Cool.  Where do you live?

The Pirate

I think you'd be okay with a car from most areas of the state.  My dad's truck came from Colorado (Berthoud, near Denver), and it was flawless.  Frame and and underside looked as good as the body.  Eight years old and 125K miles at the time.  I've family in several parts of the state (within 2 hours of Denver, for the most part), and the cars look good.  My uncle's 95 F250 looks incredible.

And I hear ya on cars that haven't gone through a Northeast winter.  The last two cars I purchased came from the south. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 05, 2010, 02:58:41 PM
Cool.  Where do you live?

He's on the I-25 corridor about an hour north of Denver. It's same location you're looking to buy from for all intents and purposes.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CJ

I wouldn't buy a car from Colorado since the car's in Colorado...not $Texas.

Minpin

Between airfare, expenses, gas, etc.; how much money can you really be saving by going all the way to Colorado?
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Payman

Quote from: Minpin on January 05, 2010, 07:11:50 PM
Between airfare, expenses, gas, etc.; how much money can you really be saving by going all the way to Colorado?

I'm not convinced. But if the trip and game are part of the appeal... why not.

SVT666

Quote from: Minpin on January 05, 2010, 07:11:50 PM
Well, how about this:

Cheapest 2007 Ford Explorer XLT I could find in BC is in Surrey (5 hours away).  Since it's so close, I would have to drag my family along with me.  Here is the breakdown:

Gas to get there: $60
Hotel: $140
Food: $150 (family of 4)
Gas to get back (2 vehicles): $130
2007 Explorer XLT: $26,995

Total = $27,475

As opposed to this:

Flight to get to Denver: $275
Hotel: $200 (a couple nights in Denver)
Food: $200
Alcohol: $1000
Ticket to Hockey Game: $80
Admission to Shelby Museum in Boulder: $5
Gas to get home: $350
Import Fee: $200
Safety Inspection: $85
Daylight Running Lights: $40
2007 Ford Explorer XLT: $17,988

Total = $20,423 (I could do it for under $20,000 if I don't drink $1000 worth of American beer)

Minpin

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 05, 2010, 10:16:22 PM
Well, how about this:

Cheapest 2007 Ford Explorer XLT I could find in BC is in Surrey (5 hours away).  Since it's so close, I would have to drag my family along with me.  Here is the breakdown:

Gas to get there: $60
Hotel: $140
Food: $150 (family of 4)
Gas to get back (2 vehicles): $130
2007 Explorer XLT: $26,995

Total = $27,475

As opposed to this:

Flight to get to Denver: $275
Hotel: $200 (a couple nights in Denver)
Food: $200
Alcohol: $1000
Ticket to Hockey Game: $80
Admission to Shelby Museum in Boulder: $5
Gas to get home: $350
Import Fee: $200
Safety Inspection: $85
Daylight Running Lights: $40
2007 Ford Explorer XLT: $17,988

Total = $20,423 (I could do it for under $20,000 if I don't drink $1000 worth of American beer)

Sounds good to me! Have fun!

Minpin

Although, 2 minutes of searching finds me this one. A newer model year too. Maybe search in a different location?

But if you want to go to Denver for other reasons, such as travel then go for it. Just pointing out another option here.  It says it's XLT too. :huh:

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Light+Truck+&+SUVs_details/BURNABY_British+Columbia_2008_FORD_EXPLORER+XLT_3351036.html?srcid=6762653&source=27&pgno=2&srt=10&CompanyID=CT200553092831706&r=britishcolumbia&ad-attributes=photos,,

SVT666

Quote from: Minpin on January 05, 2010, 10:39:43 PM
Although, 2 minutes of searching finds me this one. A newer model year too. Maybe search in a different location?

But if you want to go to Denver for other reasons, such as travel then go for it. Just pointing out another option here.  It says it's XLT too. :huh:

http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Light+Truck+&+SUVs_details/BURNABY_British+Columbia_2008_FORD_EXPLORER+XLT_3351036.html?srcid=6762653&source=27&pgno=2&srt=10&CompanyID=CT200553092831706&r=britishcolumbia&ad-attributes=photos,,
A. it's a repo.
B. I bet the mileage is outrageous at that price.  Did you notice they didn't list it?

the Teuton

Why is the Exploder so much cheaper in the US?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

PS I say just get a Kia Borrego. They're pretty cool.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

SVT666

Quote from: Payman on January 05, 2010, 11:12:56 PM
http://www.autotrader.ca/used_cars_Light+Truck+&+SUVs_details/NOBLETON_Ontario_2007_FORD_EXPLORER+Sport+Utility+4D_3286907.html?srcid=6708908&source=27&pgno=1&srt=10&CompanyID=ON20080402094055515&r=britishcolumbia&ad-attributes=photos,,

$17,888  67,000 km.
I won't touch a used vehicle from back east.  There's a reason your used cars are cheap...salt.  Massive amounts of salt.  Also, it would take me 5 days to drive from southern Ontario and only two from Denver.

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on January 05, 2010, 11:14:15 PM
Why is the Exploder so much cheaper in the US?
Everything is.  If I want a used Mustang GT, I can get them for thousands less across the border.  Used car prices are based on what they cost new.  Our cars cost a lot more new then yours because of the historically bad exchange rate.  Now that the dollars are almost on par, it's much cheaper to go across the border to get one.

S204STi

Quote from: Tave on January 05, 2010, 05:38:28 PM
He's on the I-25 corridor about an hour north of Denver. It's same location you're looking to buy from for all intents and purposes.

:hesaid:

Specifically, Fort Collins if you want to look at it on a map.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on January 06, 2010, 11:26:06 AM
:hesaid:

Specifically, Fort Collins if you want to look at it on a map.
Cool.  I will have to go right through there on my way home.  It looks like you're just a suburb of Denver, is that right?  Wanna go to a hockey game?

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 06, 2010, 11:41:50 AM
Cool.  I will have to go right through there on my way home.  It looks like you're just a suburb of Denver, is that right?  Wanna go to a hockey game?

We're a bit of our own area really.  Though, I guess it seems like Denver never really ends, there's constant development between Westminster and Wellington.

Hell, if you're passing through I'd love to take you to a nice pub here in town.  Which game were you going to see again?  I'll see if I can find tickets.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on January 06, 2010, 02:22:38 PM
We're a bit of our own area really.  Though, I guess it seems like Denver never really ends, there's constant development between Westminster and Wellington.

Hell, if you're passing through I'd love to take you to a nice pub here in town.  Which game were you going to see again?  I'll see if I can find tickets.
Oilers and Avs on Feb 6.  I'll be coming in on Friday morning.  I'll be buying the vehicle sometime on Friday so I can fax the documents to the border crossing.  They have to be there 72 hours prior to me crossing.  Then I'll stick around for the game on Saturday night (it's broadcast nationally on Hockey Night in Canada).  I'm going to go to the Shelby museum in Boulder on Saturday too.  Then on Sunday morning I'll start driving and be home by Monday night.

S204STi

Hmm.  I'm working during the day Saturday, but I should be able to come down later for the game.  Have you already bought the tix?  If you PM me the price I can decide on if I want to pony up for it or not.

SVT666

I bet we could get cheap seats from scalpers.  The Avs don't sell out these days.

S204STi

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 06, 2010, 02:50:28 PM
I bet we could get cheap seats from scalpers.  The Avs don't sell out these days.

Yeah, true.

SVT666

Quote from: R-inge on January 06, 2010, 02:50:51 PM
Yeah, true.
I'll let you know as the day gets closer.  My wife is interviewing for a job next week, and if she gets it, she gets a company car and I won't have to buy anything.