Door Lock Woes

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 06, 2010, 10:10:40 AM

AutobahnSHO

So I bent the key in my driver's side door lock. (Slightly.)

The lock had been getting a little harder to open, when it got cold the other day it's DONE. I'll tear apart the door this weekend, should I be looking at the lock cylinder, or something else?

--Or just get install keyless? I currently open the passenger's side and use the auto-locks, and it opens the driver's side fine.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

With remote locks on Subarus, you'll need to install an actuator in the driver's door. The driver's door is all mechanical.

Good luck.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

If your hard key won't open the door it could be either the lock cylinder or the mechanism at the latch.  I'd start with a good penetrating lube like PB blaster.  Apply it by inserting the straw into the cylinder and soaking it nicely.  Let it sit and then use a good key that isn't worn out to try to open it.  One thing to consider is that worn keys are a prime cause of inop lock cylinders as well.

AutobahnSHO

It's a key cut last year, works fine on the other door, rear, and ignition.

Teuton, what do you mean? It has power locks already?!
(I think I know why they would be crazy though- a locksmith years ago struggled and struggled to get into my 78wagon when I locked the keys in. Turns out you could ONLY bust into the rear driverside door.. )
Will

rohan

Every single charger we've had regardless if it was a test mule or a fleet car the driver side (the only one on the damned car) door lock breaks so you can't unlock the car with the key.  They fix them without a problem but we've had to have wreckers unlock our doors dozens of times.  It's the one thing I absolutely hate about these cars.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

J86

Oof, I broke the key off the in the door of my 1993 Legacy.  I then let it stay in there for a month or so before trying to remove it... BAD IDEA.  It corroded so badly that my only recourse would have been to get a new lock cylinder.  Definitely tackle it as soon as you can!

AutobahnSHO

Surprisingly enough, I wiggled it and it KINDA works. I'm being careful, and usually using the passenger's side.

We get a 4-day weekend this week, I think I'll take the door apart and see what's up.
Will

AutobahnSHO

since the wifey is gone for the weekend, the subie is finally garage-stabled.
(Half the 2car garage is bikes, coolers, etc...)

It's also been pretty warm, i found some graphite lube and hit the lock in question pretty good. I worked it a lot with both keys I have- surprisingly it works great now unlocking but half the tries locking didn't work out so well. (good thing I've NEVER locked a car with the key...)

I'll try to nurse it along until I get around to pulling it all apart and putting a new lock on.
Will