Performance Pony Put to the Test

Started by TurboDan, August 23, 2005, 04:08:15 PM

TurboDan

ciciusss

TurboDan,

I'm happy that you as well as others on this site enjoyed the review. I certainly could have made the review longer and gone into more detail. I decided to edit it down for the sake of brevity. I know some will not agree with my review, but as long as it is intelligent discussion, I have no problem with that.

If anyone has any questions that were not answered in the review, please ask and I will try to answer them. By the way, the Mustang will not go over 20 mph in reverse.... :blink:  

footoflead

QuoteTurboDan,

I'm happy that you as well as others on this site enjoyed the review. I certainly could have made the review longer and gone into more detail. I decided to edit it down for the sake of brevity. I know some will not agree with my review, but as long as it is intelligent discussion, I have no problem with that.

If anyone has any questions that were not answered in the review, please ask and I will try to answer them. By the way, the Mustang will not go over 20 mph in reverse.... :blink:
who needs to go 20 in reverse...15 feels crazy fast in reverse not to mention that a slight movement of the wheel and you'll slide into something...

Good review B)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

NomisR

Great review, so does it handle better than the Camaro SS or worse?  

BMWDave

What kind of difficulty did you have in tight high speed corners?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ciciusss

QuoteGreat review, so does it handle better than the Camaro SS or worse?
The Camaro SS is better only in hard cornering and that is where you will see the difference. I do prefer the Mustang's steering feel over the Camaro SS. The Mustang is well weighted and balanced, whereas the Camaro SS has a heavier feel. Ford did a good job in that regard. :)  

ifcar

Have you had a chance to drive a GTO or 350Z as well? If so, how did you think they compared?

Raghavan

nice review! next time get the stick.

footoflead

QuoteHave you had a chance to drive a GTO or 350Z as well? If so, how did you think they compared?
:o I wanna see that review B)  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

ifcar

I doubt he'd have had that amount of extended experience in the Mustang, I was just curious.

ciciusss

QuoteWhat kind of difficulty did you have in tight high speed corners?
BMWDave,

In tight corners at high speeds as you probably know, setting up to hit the apex on the inside of a curve requires approaching the curve from the outside before diving down to hit the apex (which is past the centerline of a curve). This allows you to enter and exit the curve at the highest possible speed. The proper path is approach outside, find the proper line and steer toward the inside apex and then allow the car to drift to the outside (outside, inside, outside). Many people make the mistake of approaching a curve on the inside.

Now once I find the proper line to steer from the outside of the curve toward the inside apex of the curve, I get on the throttle. Now if the curve is to sharp and I give it to much gas or the more likely scenario, I enter the curve to fast, the car is going to do one of two things; understeer or oversteer. Oversteering, typically is preferable for the skilled driver because the back end is coming around. In other words, the car will make it around that curve, it just requires coming off the throttle and proper steering inputs to put it back on path (look at where you want the car to go that will help). Understeering is much harder, because the back end is not coming around. In other words you are getting ready to leave the track or road.

The Camaro at higher speeds will have it's back end come around in these tight corners more readily than the Mustang. That is why I said at higher speeds the Camaro handled better, although to take advantage of that requires some skill and experience. I might note that the Camaro initial acceleration and higher torque allowed it to come out of the corner a little hotter than the Mustang. Hope that helps. B)  

ciciusss

QuoteHave you had a chance to drive a GTO or 350Z as well? If so, how did you think they compared?
IFCAR,

No, I have not had a chance to drive either the GTO or the Nissan 350Z. Possibly down the road.

ciciusss

Quotenice review! next time get the stick.
Raghavan,

I was wondering how many post it would be before I got "next time get the stick."  :P Unfortunately, one was not available.

ciciusss

QuoteTurboDan,

who needs to go 20 in reverse...15 feels crazy fast in reverse not to mention that a slight movement of the wheel and you'll slide into something...

Good review B)
There are a few situations that could occur where you would want to back it out quick. :ph34r:  

BMWDave

QuoteWhat kind of difficulty did you have in tight high speed corners?
BMWDave,

In tight corners at high speeds as you probably know, setting up to hit the apex on the inside of a curve requires approaching the curve from the outside before diving down to hit the apex (which is past the centerline of a curve). This allows you to enter and exit the curve at the highest possible speed. The proper path is approach outside, find the proper line and steer toward the inside apex and then allow the car to drift to the outside (outside, inside, outside). Many people make the mistake of approaching a curve on the inside.

Now once I find the proper line to steer from the outside of the curve toward the inside apex of the curve, I get on the throttle. Now if the curve is to sharp and I give it to much gas or the more likely scenario, I enter the curve to fast, the car is going to do one of two things; understeer or oversteer. Oversteering, typically is preferable for the skilled driver because the back end is coming around. In other words, the car will make it around that curve, it just requires coming off the throttle and proper steering inputs to put it back on path (look at where you want the car to go that will help). Understeering is much harder, because the back end is not coming around. In other words you are getting ready to leave the track or road.

The Camaro at higher speeds will have it's back end come around in these tight corners more readily than the Mustang. That is why I said at higher speeds the Camaro handled better, although to take advantage of that requires some skill and experience. I might note that the Camaro initial acceleration and higher torque allowed it to come out of the corner a little hotter than the Mustang. Hope that helps. B)
It sure does.  Thanks for the explanation B)  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Raghavan,

I was wondering how many post it would be before I got "next time get the stick."  :P Unfortunately, one was not available.
Yeah, i have yet to see a manual Mustang.

Raza

QuoteTurboDan,

Good review B)
I could bang out over 34mph in the E320 without redlining.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Raghavan,

I've seen about 5, 2 on lots, 3 on the road.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Raghavan,

There are plenty out there, even with the V6.  

Raghavan

Raghavan,

At my local ford dealership, they're all V6 autos.

Raza

Raghavan,

All the good stuff was already sold.  Teeny-bopper girl fodder left on the lots till the 06s.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Raghavan,

All the good stuff was already sold.  Teeny-bopper girl fodder left on the lots till the 06s.
Or maybe that dealership didn't get any. they're not too big.

BMWDave

Raghavan,

recently, I drove by 2 Ford dealers.  One had a Mustang V6 Coupe, and the other had 3 Mustang Convertible V6s.  Not sure if they were autos.  But I didnt see one Mustang GT.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

Raghavan,

recently, I drove by 2 Ford dealers.  One had a Mustang V6 Coupe, and the other had 3 Mustang Convertible V6s.  Not sure if they were autos.  But I didnt see one Mustang GT.
They're mostly sold.  I've seen a bunch on the road, some automatics, but only a couple in dealerships.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i