Volkswagen New Compact Coupe Concept

Started by 2o6, January 11, 2010, 02:01:10 PM

2o6

What a lazy name for a lazy car.

It's by no means ugly, but the name is ugly, it has the same generic face as the golf, the sides are unintresting (though well proportioned) and the interior is a generic VW partsbin with outlandish colors. It looks good, but golly, VW has no imagination whatsoever.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/11/detroit-2010-volkswagen-new-compact-coupe-concept-w-video/

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Looks sharp...which means it looks nothing like a VW.

CALL_911

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 11, 2010, 02:05:53 PM
Looks sharp...which means it looks nothing like a VW.

Maybe the Jetta's frumpy, but if you think the Golf/GTI, the Passat/CC and the Touareg and Tiguan don't look good, you must be blind.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 11, 2010, 02:18:16 PM
Maybe the Jetta's frumpy, but if you think the Golf/GTI, the Passat/CC and the Touareg and Tiguan don't look good, you must be blind.
This and the CC don't look like VWs.  This thing actually looks like an Audi from the back and there's some 3 Series int here too. 

ChrisV

the name is the concept name, much like teh New Beetle was teh Concept 1. When it comes to the US, it'll probably be called the Jetta Coupe, as it's a lot like what we know of the new Jetta sedan:

I actually like the Coupe quite a bit.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

2o6

Quote from: ChrisV on January 11, 2010, 02:27:23 PM
the name is the concept name, much like teh New Beetle was teh Concept 1. When it comes to the US, it'll probably be called the Jetta Coupe, as it's a lot like what we know of the new Jetta sedan:

I actually like the Coupe quite a bit.

That picture is a chop.

However, if it comes to the market, it will be the best looking compact on sale.

CJ

Xer0

ChrisV

Quote from: 2o6 on January 11, 2010, 02:28:49 PM

That picture is a chop.

Yes. It was done by VW Vortex, as the actual Coupe show car was made from a new Jetta sedan that had longer doors made, and the rear door area filled in. The roofline of the coupe IS the roofline of the Jetta sedan. So even though it's a chop, it's as accurate as you're going to see, even in pictures of the real car.

Vinsanity

As uninteresting as that coupe may look, it's the most interesting VW to me since they teased us with their little mid-engine diesel roadster concept

Pommes-T

This is awesome. Reminds me a bit of the Audi A5. If the price isn't too high, this can be a great car.
'00 BMW 523i

the Teuton

I was going to say that I liked the way it looked. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if this car is the beginning of VW's cheap car resurgence, relatively speaking.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

r0tor

Quote from: Pommes-T on January 11, 2010, 04:24:54 PM
This is awesome. Reminds me a bit of the Audi A5. If the price isn't too high, this can be a great car.

i was thinking the same
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

It's absolutely fantastic: crisp, handsome and better-resolved than both the A4 and 5, and much better-looking than the gaudy, tacky new Focus. The interior, too, is just delightful. Finally - clean and taut triumphs over trendy and contrived.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

FoMoJo

Nothing to stir the soul.  However, I do like the seats.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Vinsanity

I do admit that it's looking better the more I look at it, but if it's going to be priced against the Hyundai GenCoupe and the Toyota AE86, then this will continue to be a choice more for sorority girls than performance enthusiasts. Pretty car, though.

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on January 12, 2010, 12:42:52 PM
I do admit that it's looking better the more I look at it, but if it's going to be priced against the Hyundai GenCoupe and the Toyota AE86, then this will continue to be a choice more for sorority girls than performance enthusiasts. Pretty car, though.

I'm thinking (hoping) this will be more Corrado than Eos.

But damn, the Eos looks good.  I wish they had a performance version of it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

Bland as hell.  VW are becoming automotive white goods.   I can't see even an ounce of inspiration or risk in the design.  The rear end is pure Audi, at least when VW copied the Audi grille it was stylish.  The interior just looks like a Golf VI interior with nicer door inserts and expensive seats.

This thing looks like a snooze-fest along the lines of the old shape Civic coupe.  Slushbox as well, to add insult to injury.

By the time this thing hits the streets in two years (they say it'll take that long, it's a concept) it'll be a non-event.

Give me the Scirocco over this any day.

Atomic

they nailed it! i like the fact that we can buy a sporty golf gti hatchback or this restrained classic styled coupe at the same dealership. truly good things have been coming from vw since my favorite, the "cc" was introduced. vw interiors have come a long way, too. look at the supportive seats of the jetta coupe. the audi-like taillights might bother some, but i do not mind that aspect, given that the rest of the car looks more 3-series bmw coupe, imo.

Minpin

?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

AltinD

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 12, 2010, 02:20:44 PM
Bland as hell.  VW are becoming automotive white goods.   I can't see even an ounce of inspiration or risk in the design.  The rear end is pure Audi, at least when VW copied the Audi grille it was stylish.  The interior just looks like a Golf VI interior with nicer door inserts and expensive seats.

This thing looks like a snooze-fest along the lines of the old shape Civic coupe.  Slushbox as well, to add insult to injury.

By the time this thing hits the streets in two years (they say it'll take that long, it's a concept) it'll be a non-event.

Give me the Scirocco over this any day.

1. The so called Audi grille was actually a evolution of the B5.5 Passat grille since 2001

2. It has a DSG, no more slushboxes for VW :facepalm:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AltinD

LOL, how come no one have commented yet about the car being a HYBRID :lol:

r0tor

does it sound like "haaaaaaaaaaaaaa" ?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ChrisV

Quote from: AltinD on January 13, 2010, 07:40:38 AM
1. The so called Audi grille was actually a evolution of the B5.5 Passat grille since 2001

yeah, kinda, but...

the Audi grille design came from the 2003 nuvolari show car:

Which is NOT an evolution of the Passat grille. it was then put on the '04 A8 W12:

the so-called Audi grille on the VWs, copied the Audi drop to the lower valance, though it had a bigger split between the upper and lower grilles..

AltinD

The Passat B5.5 was the first car to feature the bumper cut in the middle from hood lines accompanying the grille and dropping till the lower bumper. What VW (or Audi if you will) did was evolving the idea and making it more pronounced visually and of course joining the lower grille with the upper one.

Audi did said back then the grille was a tribute to classic NSU cars of the '30s, however the first design element for it came with the Passat

PS. Audi and VW are NOT separate companies, the later owns and control the former.