Grumbly rant about modern car conveniences (Washington Post)

Started by ifcar, January 18, 2010, 07:30:11 AM

BimmerM3

Quote from: Psilos on January 18, 2010, 04:10:09 PM
I think relying on a GPS device for directions is a terrible idea. The usefulness of consumer GPS is in finding where you are, and therefore which direction to go. When you start depending on even Google map directions to get you where you want to go, you start to depend on the left-right directions, and you don't actually know where you are. It's too easy to end up depending on the GPS to know which route is best, and to continue to function. GPS devices can't tell you when a mountain pass is too snowy, and they don't necessarily take you to the most well-traveled route. People do get stuck in the snow in the middle of nowhere because their GPS told them to take some po-dunk gravel road.

+0.75.

I can't stand people who use GPS for every little thing. I knew a girl who had been to my friend's condo 4-5 times, and she still had to ask him for his address so she could type it into her GPS. That said, Google Maps is an incredibly useful too, and I don't think people are nearly as prone to mindless driving with Google Maps as they are with GPS. You're right though - I prefer to know where I'm going before I start going there, and only use my GPS (built-in to my phone) as a back-up for when things don't go according to plan.

BimmerM3

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 18, 2010, 05:11:20 PM
Point still stands that the issue is with that kid in particular, and is in no way indicative of a general trend. I can cook, clean, fix my car etc etc. I guess all kids my age can then.

If you honestly think all people of any age can fix cars, you're just kidding yourself. You also have to consider that the kids he's talking about are probably 15-20 years younger than you. A lot of things change in that time.

CALL_911

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 18, 2010, 05:17:49 PM
If you honestly think all people of any age can fix cars, you're just kidding yourself. You also have to consider that the kids he's talking about are probably 15-20 years younger than you. A lot of things change in that time.

He's addressing the generalization the author of this article is making.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 18, 2010, 04:10:49 PM
I like to use that one on girls sometimes.

"Chriiiiiis, I can't get such and such to work!"

"Alright...did you try alt-F4?"

"No...?  DANGIT!  IT CLOSED!"

Hardy har har.

Oh, those silly girls.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 18, 2010, 04:55:57 PM
hehe
It's probably about time for the "automatic cup holder" to make it's rounds to this new generation. :lol:

Lemme guess:

"Will, where's the cupholder?"
"Oh, it's automatic-- just stick the cup over the console and it pops out."
"OK" Drop, splash.

But that would get your car spilled on... So what is it really?

:huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ChrisV

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 18, 2010, 05:11:20 PM
Point still stands that the issue is with that kid in particular, and is in no way indicative of a general trend. I can cook, clean, fix my car etc etc. I guess all kids my age can then.

The example in the article was not talking about people YOUR age, now was it? As has been pointed out to me repeatedly here, just because I can do something doesn't mean everyone can.  So, just because YOU can do something doesn't mean everyone else can, either. And he's right, in that most kids are entirely too dependeant on convenience items, play too much video games, etc. For crying out loud there's an NFL program designed to get kids outside to play for 60 minutes. Why? Because they DON'T!

it IS a general trend, and if you were involved with education, including the PTA like I am, you'd see that.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

S204STi

"I suppose you smart-aleck kids don't know what jumper cables are, do you? If Apple doesn't make it or some hunky vampire doesn't French kiss it in a music video, you couldn't care less, right? "

LOL

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: R-inge on January 18, 2010, 08:54:51 PM
"I suppose you smart-aleck kids don't know what jumper cables are, do you? If Apple doesn't make it or some hunky vampire doesn't French kiss it in a music video, you couldn't care less, right? "

LOL

That was probably the lamest part of the article.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Rupert

Boy, you kids are taking this a little too seriously...

That is an awesome line. :lol:

giant_mtb

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: gotta-qik-z28 on January 18, 2010, 10:28:22 PM
+1
Quote from: giant_mtb on January 18, 2010, 09:32:56 PM
I thought it was a damn good line, too.
Quote from: Psilos on January 18, 2010, 09:29:45 PM
Boy, you kids are taking this a little too seriously...

That is an awesome line. :lol:

From someone of my age and perspective, it is still lame. When I read it the first time my reaction was a facepalm. It sounded like he was trying to hard to be funny.

Lame.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

Raza

I bet he walked through school uphill both ways through blizzards 365 days a year, too.

What a fuckhead.  Automatic headlights?  THE HORROR!  Many cars also have lights that stay on for a time after you shut them off (manually, no less); my Mercedes was that way. 

Yeah, I think we're letting kids go soft, but who am I to complain?  It saves time to not have to hunt for my own beets, and that's part of progress.  And if jumping a car is what it takes to make you feel alive, I believe you need to reevaluate your life. 

While I question the necessity of many modern conveniences, I don't take the time to complain about them.  Even my life isn't that miserable. 

"When I was a kid, we didn't have airbags.  You just hit the steering wheel and died, and that's how you grow up strong!"
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

The only thing that bothers me are start buttons and automatic / automanual gearboxes.

The feeling of twisting that key and then feeling that engine fire up, man I love that feeling.  Hitting a start button just feels so cold to me.  This is one of the reasons why I'd rather have a Mustang than 128i or 370z

The automatic/automanual complaints are big here so I'll just add that I'd like to be able to skip gears, and go right from 6th to 2nd if I want to.  Love the feeling of a good shifter too and a powertrain that cooperates (unlike the Civic Si)

Something I wish more manufacturers would add before all this other bullcrap is telescoping steering.  Seems realizing that not all arms and legs are proportional to different body types escapes way too many carmakers.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

I've never had a car without a tilt/telescoping steering wheel.  I didn't think it was common to not have at least one of those features in a car today. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

I've never had one. None of my parent's cars have had one either. It would be nice to have, and I agree that carmakers should equip it before some other stuff.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

93JC

My 'rents have never owned a car with a telescoping column, but they all had tilt from what I can remember. Maybe not the Citation, though; I don't remember that one that well.

My car has automatic headlights and wipers, but I use neither. I don't know what it is about them, but I don't find these features particularly useful. I like my manumatic transmission though. It's a nice compromise. I can shift it to a particular gear when I need to, and when I don't, leave it in D and let it do all the work.

I still feel there are features that are wholly unnecessary, and the author's example of power operated doors is a good one. They're totally useless, and when I see people using them I can't help but think these people are incredibly lazy. It's ridiculously easy to reach over and slide a door shut: do you really need a motor to take seven seconds to shut it for you?

I think automotive 'feature' development is reaching a peak, if it hasn't peaked already. What more could you possibly want?

Raza

The auto trunk closing thing is useful when closing a trunk in tight spaces, like a garage, though.  Again, unnecessary, but it is a luxury for a reason. Luxury is by definition unnecessary. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

heelntoe

Quote from: Psilos on January 18, 2010, 06:04:07 PM
Lemme guess:

"Will, where's the cupholder?"
"Oh, it's automatic-- just stick the cup over the console and it pops out."
"OK" Drop, splash.

But that would get your car spilled on... So what is it really?

:huh:
It's built-in to your computer, not your car.
It pops out with the push of a button. It's says something about CDs or something, but ignore that, it's really just a cup holder. :lol:
@heelntoe

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ChrisV on January 18, 2010, 08:47:40 PM
The example in the article was not talking about people YOUR age, now was it? As has been pointed out to me repeatedly here, just because I can do something doesn't mean everyone can.  So, just because YOU can do something doesn't mean everyone else can, either. And he's right, in that most kids are entirely too dependeant on convenience items, play too much video games, etc. For crying out loud there's an NFL program designed to get kids outside to play for 60 minutes. Why? Because they DON'T!

it IS a general trend, and if you were involved with education, including the PTA like I am, you'd see that.
Again my issue isn't with the semantics you're arguing, just the incredible generalizations the author made. Kids still play sports and run around and stuff... I see them in the parks and on the sidewalk every summer. Just because his generalizations line up with your opinions doesn't make him or you right.

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on January 19, 2010, 10:04:51 AM
The auto trunk closing thing is useful when closing a trunk in tight spaces, like a garage, though.  Again, unnecessary, but it is a luxury for a reason. Luxury is by definition unnecessary. 

There's a difference between unnecessary and useless.

If you use a power trunk closer because of space constraints how the hell do you get anything in and out of the trunk to begin with?

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21062.msg1246957#msg1246957 date=1263920691

I can easily close the trunk on any of our cars while standing beside, not behind, the car. 

Raza

Quote from: Byteme on January 19, 2010, 11:06:59 AM
I can easily close the trunk on any of our cars while standing beside, not behind, the car. 

Without putting your fingers on the paint?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on January 19, 2010, 11:15:27 AM
It's a car, not a Renoir. You can touch the paint.

I disagree!

I meant to put a smiley in there. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

93JC

I presumed your comment was made in jest.

I liked the "It's a car, not a Renoir," line too much to not bother using it.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21062.msg1246894#msg1246894 date=1263910977
I've never had a car without a tilt/telescoping steering wheel.  I didn't think it was common to not have at least one of those features in a car today. 
My SVTF is the first car I've owned where the wheel telescopes.