Grumbly rant about modern car conveniences (Washington Post)

Started by ifcar, January 18, 2010, 07:30:11 AM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 19, 2010, 02:28:19 PM
My SVTF is the first car I've owned where the wheel telescopes.
My '85 Subaru had one of those.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

ChrisV

Quote from: sportyaccordy on January 19, 2010, 10:36:05 AM
Again my issue isn't with the semantics you're arguing, just the incredible generalizations the author made. Kids still play sports and run around and stuff... I see them in the parks and on the sidewalk every summer. Just because his generalizations line up with your opinions doesn't make him or you right.

*sigh*. You're right, no more kids spend all afternoon inside playing video games than they did when I was young, and there isn't a concerted national effort to get kids outside to play. I must have been making all that shit up. I've never been part of the PTA and haven't been raising a kid myself, with other kids around due to that. You're right. I know so much less than you do about modern kids.

:rolleyes:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ChrisV on January 19, 2010, 03:30:21 PM
*sigh*. You're right, no more kids spend all afternoon inside playing video games than they did when I was young, and there isn't a concerted national effort to get kids outside to play. I must have been making all that shit up. I've never been part of the PTA and haven't been raising a kid myself, with other kids around due to that. You're right. I know so much less than you do about modern kids.

:rolleyes:

This post is useless without twenty pictures of kids playing video games.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ChrisV

Quote from: 93JC on January 19, 2010, 10:55:12 AM
There's a difference between unnecessary and useless.

If you use a power trunk closer because of space constraints how the hell do you get anything in and out of the trunk to begin with?

Are we talking the auto closer that shuts it the last half inch, or one that shuts it automatically from full open? the former I have on my car, and it's nice so you don't have to slam it. The latter was an option on my car, and the only thing I can see is it's nice to close it with the key in your hand while you're carrying a pilke of groceries/etc. that you just took out of the trunk, especially in the rain so you don't have to take the stuff out of the trunk, put it down on the wet ground, close the trunk, then pick up the cargo again to take it in. But as Raza says, it's a luxury, and luxury is, by definition, unnecessary. the issue is when people think it IS necessary and can't live without it. Like heated seats. MMMmmm. Love my heated seats right about now... Oh, wait...

J86

I know some manufacturers make heated steering wheels.  Has anyone done a heated shift knob?  That would be freakin' awesome.

93JC

Quote from: ChrisV on January 19, 2010, 03:35:06 PM
as Raza says, it's a luxury, and luxury is, by definition, unnecessary.

Quote from: 93JC on January 19, 2010, 10:55:12 AM
There's a difference between unnecessary and useless.

ChrisV

Quote from: NACar on January 19, 2010, 03:34:21 PM
This post is useless without twenty pictures of kids playing video games.

That's only 4, but I'm walking out the door now... ;)

ChrisV

93JC

use⋅less

–adjective
1.    of no use; not serving the purpose or any purpose; unavailing or futile: It is useless to reason with him.
2.    without useful qualities; of no practical good: a useless person; a useless gadget.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/useless

You know the biggest irony?  For all his bitching about how the youth are getting soft and how his generation is better, he managed to epically miss the point of these techno gizmos and who they are marketed to.

Last I checked pimply teenagers weren't pulling out the G's and buying the latest high end luxury cars with the best gadgets.  It's mostly the wealthy working age and aging baby boomer group that's doing that.  So for all his bitching about how cars these days are for the kids, he's wrong, they are for old farts like him.

Those automatic doors are for his aged frail arms, those GPS systems are because his farsighted eyes can't focus on maps anymore, and those automatic headlights are because he's too senile to remember.  Pretty soon we'll see cars that wipe the drool from your face and restart your heart when it stops, he'll try to pin it on kids too.

giant_mtb

He thinks kids are dumb/ignorant 'cause of a lack of knowledge for jumper cables.  I say he's dumb/ignorant because today's 9 year-old probably knows more about using and operating a computer than he does.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Psilos on January 18, 2010, 06:04:07 PM
Lemme guess:

"Will, where's the cupholder?"
"Oh, it's automatic-- just stick the cup over the console and it pops out."
"OK" Drop, splash.

But that would get your car spilled on... So what is it really?

:huh:

LOL
It's a file that you click on and it opens the CD tray of your computer. Good ones open up ALL of the drives on the PC, which was hilarious for people that had 2-3 CD drives on their machine..
Will

AutobahnSHO

Will

Lebowski

280Z Turbo

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 19, 2010, 10:09:50 PM
Yeah, baseball is boring as fuck.

from the size of the stadium, those tickets probably were MLB, and I'm guessing Not Cheap???
Will

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 19, 2010, 02:28:19 PM
My SVTF is the first car I've owned where the wheel telescopes.

Wow.  The things you take for granted sometimes, eh?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rich

I still haven't owned a car with one.  Unfortunately most of the cars I like don't have them either

MINI Cooper R50/53
Miata
Mustang
Corvette - with the '08 refresh, they added a power telescoping column with the 4LT package (the most expensive one that includes the leather interior, but most used ones probably won't have this)

The biggest deal breaker of all is the 370Z.  That steering wheel is miles away from me, to the point I don't want to try driving it.  Sucks too, because I love everything else about it
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 565 on January 19, 2010, 04:31:41 PM
You know the biggest irony?  For all his bitching about how the youth are getting soft and how his generation is better, he managed to epically miss the point of these techno gizmos and who they are marketed to.

Last I checked pimply teenagers weren't pulling out the G's and buying the latest high end luxury cars with the best gadgets.  It's mostly the wealthy working age and aging baby boomer group that's doing that.  So for all his bitching about how cars these days are for the kids, he's wrong, they are for old farts like him.

Those automatic doors are for his aged frail arms, those GPS systems are because his farsighted eyes can't focus on maps anymore, and those automatic headlights are because he's too senile to remember.  Pretty soon we'll see cars that wipe the drool from your face and restart your heart when it stops, he'll try to pin it on kids too.
:clap:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

hotrodalex

I enjoyed the article as it was entertaining, however...

Quote from: 565 on January 19, 2010, 04:31:41 PM
You know the biggest irony?  For all his bitching about how the youth are getting soft and how his generation is better, he managed to epically miss the point of these techno gizmos and who they are marketed to.

Last I checked pimply teenagers weren't pulling out the G's and buying the latest high end luxury cars with the best gadgets.  It's mostly the wealthy working age and aging baby boomer group that's doing that.  So for all his bitching about how cars these days are for the kids, he's wrong, they are for old farts like him.

Those automatic doors are for his aged frail arms, those GPS systems are because his farsighted eyes can't focus on maps anymore, and those automatic headlights are because he's too senile to remember.  Pretty soon we'll see cars that wipe the drool from your face and restart your heart when it stops, he'll try to pin it on kids too.

That is absolutely true.

Though it does seem that kids are soft nowadays. In fact, I think that's a main reason for school shootings. Used to be that kids would get in a fist fight and then be over it. Now, they just keep hit lists and blast 'em when the time comes that the get pushed over the edge. Since they are so soft, they won't fight. They just take the cowardly route. Not saying this is the case with all kids, but it has been a trend it seems...

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 20, 2010, 06:55:26 PM
I enjoyed the article as it was entertaining, however...

That is absolutely true.

Though it does seem that kids are soft nowadays. In fact, I think that's a main reason for school shootings. Used to be that kids would get in a fist fight and then be over it. Now, they just keep hit lists and blast 'em when the time comes that the get pushed over the edge. Since they are so soft, they won't fight. They just take the cowardly route. Not saying this is the case with all kids, but it has been a trend it seems...

They don't avoid fighting because they're soft, they avoid fighting because schools have such ridiculous rules about fights; for example, the kid who punches second (i.e. self defense) is to be punished as badly or worse than the instigator in my old school.  And who wants a suspension/expulsion on their record when he or she is applying to colleges? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on January 22, 2010, 09:12:52 AM
They don't avoid fighting because they're soft, they avoid fighting because schools have such ridiculous rules about fights; for example, the kid who punches second (i.e. self defense) is to be punished as badly or worse than the instigator in my old school.  And who wants a suspension/expulsion on their record when he or she is applying to colleges? 

So shooting everyone up avoids those punishments?

:lol:

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on January 25, 2010, 07:29:48 PM
Except, well, dying.

Well, aren't we getting philosophical now?  A Buddhist would disagree with you.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i