Why is our 2WD truck so high?!

Started by 280Z Turbo, January 23, 2010, 12:07:57 PM

Raza

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 27, 2010, 11:08:56 AM
Oh I remember now. Now that I think about it, I don't think I've heard ANYTHING about a the frontier since it was overhauled in 05 or something?

No idea.  I remember reading about the Nissan Navara in Evo, saying I liked it, and then someone here telling me it's the same thing as the Frontier.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 27, 2010, 11:14:08 AM
Mark if I said my parents were about to pick up a Grand Cherokee back when they got the explorer but they chose the explorer cuz I said the GC sucked, would you hate me?  :lol:

No, I'd laugh at your parents' expense for buying a POS Explorer.

SVT_Power

Quote from: 93JC on January 27, 2010, 02:05:02 PM
No, I'd laugh at your parents' expense for buying a POS Explorer.

Better than a GC  :huh:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

93JC

Yeah, because it earned the nickname "Exploder" for no particular reason...

I mean, if we were comparing new Explorers and Grand Cherokees, I'd probably give the edge to the Explorer, because the Grand Cherokee is a piece. But the old ones? ZJs, WJs?

SVT_Power

Quote from: 93JC on January 27, 2010, 02:14:24 PM
Yeah, because it earned the nickname "Exploder" for no particular reason...

I mean, if we were comparing new Explorers and Grand Cherokees, I'd probably give the edge to the Explorer, because the Grand Cherokee is a piece. But the old ones? ZJs, WJs?

New? What's considered new? Our explorer is a 03 and that's when it got the major overhaul (It got IRS that year).
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

So we were comparing a 03 explorer with a 03 GC (which is a WJ). In the GC's defence, the explorer had just received a major overhaul and the GC was out since '99 at that point.

93JC

I'd have taken the '03 GC over the Explorer. But I'd have taken an '05 Explorer over an '05 Grand Cherokee.

Deep down I don't really care: it's your parents' money, they can do whatever they want with it.

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on January 27, 2010, 03:04:07 PM
I'd have taken the '03 GC over the Explorer. But I'd have taken an '05 Explorer over an '05 Grand Cherokee.

Deep down I don't really care: it's your parents' money, they can do whatever they want with it.
No they can't!!!  They have to do with it what you say.  Don't let them get away with this.

SVT_Power

Quote from: 93JC on January 27, 2010, 03:04:07 PM

Have you ever been in the backseat of a WJ? It's like they literally took some sponge, put some leather on it and called it a bench. It has NO support whatsoever. I was sitting in the back for all of maybe 10-15 minutes, and my back hurt so much I couldn't even get back up.

93JC

I have been in the backseat of a WJ, and in general I'd have to agree. It might have bothered me if I sat in the back for a long time, but I've only been in there for a few minutes at a time. I don't know if the seats in the Laredo and Limited are different; I've only been in an Overland.

I don't really care about backseat comfort though. My car's backseat is mostly useless I move the front seats up.

SVT_Power

I did kind of want my parents to get the GC since they were gonna get the Limited (that's the middle level right?) with a V8. Only if my parents got the explorer with a V8...

93JC

SVT_Power

Quote from: 93JC on January 27, 2010, 03:32:01 PM
HO 4.7 L >>> 12v 4.6 L Modular

12v eh? 1.5 valves per cylinder!!!!111!!

SVT_Power

Quote from: 93JC on January 27, 2010, 03:32:01 PM
HO 4.7 L >>> 12v 4.6 L Modular

We would've gotten the regular 4.7L (the HO was only available in the overland)

93JC

Quote from: SVT_Power on January 27, 2010, 03:34:27 PM
12v eh? 1.5 valves per cylinder!!!!111!!

Fack. :facepalm:

I meant to write "2v", as in two valves per cylinder. I guess my pudgy fingers and sloppy typing bit me in the ass on that one...

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT666 on January 26, 2010, 09:10:00 PM
Chevy seems to be the only offender.

No, the F-150 has it too. Compared to my dads 2000 4WD F-150 with tow package the current ones on the bed are huge and ugly.

rohan

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 25, 2010, 11:52:04 PM
How could they not be better? :huh: I don't understand what he's talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rQTHMVAuw

Good description and shows it but I'm not sure it's not rigged because it's obviously a sales pitch.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Rupert

Yeah, that does a pretty good job showing how it works (I had the sound off). That is pretty much the only situation where a locker is better than 4WD, however, and for that short patch of "ice," you could just get more momentum.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

rohan

Unless you're doing something like pulling a boat out of the water where your starting from a stop.  I guess after watching that I know less about how limtied slip works that I thought I did.  :huh:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on January 28, 2010, 02:37:35 PM
Yeah, that does a pretty good job showing how it works (I had the sound off). That is pretty much the only situation where a locker is better than 4WD, however, and for that short patch of "ice," you could just get more momentum.

For that short patch of "ice", I think they could have just driven around it.  :lol:

But really, that video demonstrates exactly what I was saying.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Exactly.

Which is why, what you really want, is 4WD and a locker in the back. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on January 29, 2010, 12:01:52 AM
Exactly.

Which is why, what you really want, is 4WD and a locker in the back. :lol:

I found that the Rodeo has a Dana Spicer 44 HD, and a Trac-Loc is about $370. I could do it at school next week if I had $370 to blow.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)