Why is our 2WD truck so high?!

Started by 280Z Turbo, January 23, 2010, 12:07:57 PM

280Z Turbo

We have a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD (base model) as our raceteam's tow vehicle. Why does it need to be so high off the ground? Other than creating 15 inches of wheel gap (it has 16" wheels), decreasing gas mileage, and making ingress/egress difficult I don't see the point. I know you might want it a little higher in the back for heavy loads, but even with a 3 axle trailer, it doesn't sag that much in the rear. Why the front is so high, I have no idea.

Submariner

Chevy thinks massive wheel gap is hot?  :huh:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Eye of the Tiger

Cuz its a truck and not a race car?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Submariner

It looks infinitely worse on the long bed models. 

Laconian

Style and spec inflation, I'm sure. Ground clearance is to trucks as horsepower is to cars.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Laconian

That looks ridiculous. The corners of those wheel arches are going to bang into the tires.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on January 23, 2010, 01:34:11 PM
That looks ridiculous. The corners of those wheel arches are going to bang into the tires.

So you're saying that the wheel arches are, in fact, too small! HA!

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 2o6 on January 23, 2010, 12:42:17 PM
Ground clearance?

For what? It's worthless offroad and gets stuck very easily. I'd rather drive my Focus offroad.

It looks like this except it's green and has west coast mirrors:

SVT666

You don't want the front to be dramatically lower then the rear, and you want the rear higher so that when you stick 4000 lbs in the box it's not dragging the bumper on the ground.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 23, 2010, 02:39:07 PM
You don't want the front to be dramatically lower then the rear, and you want the rear higher so that when you stick 4000 lbs in the box it's not dragging the bumper on the ground.

The suspension is so stiff, it doesn't matter.

You can still have sufficient suspension travel without it being ridiculously high in the air.

giant_mtb

280Z Turbo

giant_mtb

So are the 4WD models significantly lower like you'd like them to be, or what?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 23, 2010, 02:50:18 PM
So are the 4WD models significantly lower like you'd like them to be, or what?

No. The 2WD one should be lower because it would get better gas mileage and be easier to get in and out of.

giant_mtb

What does being higher up have to do with gas mileage?  I don't think a few inches of ride height for a truck is going to have any real mileage effect at normal speeds. :huh:  If anything, it probably experiences more lift when it's higher up, so the truck is actually "lighter" and thus gets better mileage anyways!!!! :lol:

Submariner

93JC

It's so high because they only build the trucks with one suspension design, the 4x4 suspension.

Think about it: if you built a separate suspension for the 2WD truck, a lower suspension, you'd have to have completely different parts. New springs, new dampers, new control arms, new torsion bars, new driveshaft, blah blah blah, etc. This way they don't have to spend money on designing the new suspension, finding a supplier or a retooling a factory to make the parts, yadda yadda yadda.

giant_mtb

Plus, for a cheap, dependable work truck, who really cares? :ohyeah:

Pancor

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 23, 2010, 02:49:36 PM
You can't plow with a 2WD truck.

Yes you can.  A full sander out back helps.

Tave

Once again, it never ceases to amaze me why people who don't like trucks continue to dwell on their hate for them and feel the need to bitch about it all the time in the Big Guys forum. Yeesh.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

Quote from: 93JC on January 23, 2010, 03:09:39 PM
It's so high because they only build the trucks with one suspension design, the 4x4 suspension.

Think about it: if you built a separate suspension for the 2WD truck, a lower suspension, you'd have to have completely different parts. New springs, new dampers, new control arms, new torsion bars, new driveshaft, blah blah blah, etc. This way they don't have to spend money on designing the new suspension, finding a supplier or a retooling a factory to make the parts, yadda yadda yadda.

Yep - economies of scale.

280Z Turbo

I wonder how much it would decrease the coefficient of drag to lower it down several inches. We run it at 60-70 mph most of the time. One guy told me his gas mileage went up considerably after he lowered his tow rig.

I'm sure it wouldn't be worth the cost, but I'm just curious.

On a side note, better handling would be a nice side benefit of lowering the truck because yes we do drive it on the track. :lol:

93JC

I bet someone already makes a bolt-on kit to lower it.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 93JC on January 23, 2010, 04:55:43 PM
I bet someone already makes a bolt-on kit to lower it.

Not for the 2500, AFAIK.

rohan

http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle