A Ferrari you can get a tax credit on

Started by the Teuton, January 28, 2010, 09:58:43 AM

the Teuton

http://jalopnik.com/5458588/ferrari-599-hybrid-porco-dio

It appears a hybrid Ferrari 599 will be going into production. The KERS thing is cool; the hybrid stigma isn't.

Thoughts?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

BimmerM3

What is this KERS thing you speak of? I'm in class so I can't watch the videos.

the Teuton

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 28, 2010, 10:05:20 AM
What is this KERS thing you speak of? I'm in class so I can't watch the videos.

I didn't watch the video, but KERS is Kinetic Energy Regeneration System. It's what most F1 cars use these days -- more or less like any other hybrid, but usually used only for short bursts of acceleration.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Laconian

No, but my opinions don't reflect the rest of the public's. Lots of people buy Priuses and it's not just ecodouches. They are on track to become the next Camry. So I would argue that if a stigma exists, it is shared by a minority of the population. Ferrari buyers might be able to pull off a feat of cognitive dissonance and perceive this as another case of F1 technology trickle-down.

Submariner

Can we get a fucking Ferrari that's lightweight, relatively free of electronic goodies, and nice to look at?  I understand that their target market doesn't give a care about the riving experience, but is one purist model too much to ask for?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CALL_911

Quote from: Submariner on January 28, 2010, 11:21:57 AM
Can we get a fucking Ferrari that's lightweight, relatively free of electronic goodies, and nice to look at?  I understand that their target market doesn't give a care about the riving experience, but is one purist model too much to ask for?

The fact that their target market wouldn't demand such a thing is reason enough that it doesn't exist, unfortunately.

We get that me, you and the rest of this board would buy one. Except that we can't....

So what incentive do they have to make one? It's unfortunate.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Minpin

IT'S CALLED CAPITALISM, BRAH. DEAL WITH IT.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

CALL_911

Quote from: Minpin on January 28, 2010, 11:39:51 AM
IT'S CALLED CAPITALISM, BRAH. DEAL WITH IT.

Right.

Man, for such a capitalist friendly board, we sure do whine a lot when companies don't make moves that we want, but won't net them any profit.

(That said, I do want a purist Ferrari BADLY.)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

J86

I don't understand the wholesale hatred towards anything hybrid around here.  Many enthusiasts think it's cool, because it's a new technology.  Never seen the vitriol elsewhere that I see here.  Take my old man, for example.  Engineer by trade, built a monkey bike in his younger years, general gearhead.  He bought a Prius essentially for the novelty factor; it was a cool new technology that he could poke around and explore.  Some of his co workers, who race Miatas, did the same thing for the same reasons.  Here, however, we get "I CANT HANDLE ANY CHANGE WAAAAH."  Fascinating.

Laconian

Real enthusiasts lose their energy to heat entropy.

Sigma Projects

yea I don't get it either... and all the Purists... it just sounds more like "I want and old ferrari" which is coo, I like a lot of old cars, but ferrari trying things to be better in one way or another just sounds like ferrari, especially if they got the KERS thing going on. I just hope none of them catch on fire because of it :tounge:
RAs, the last of the RWD Celicas

giant_mtb

If it's fast and shit, I guess that's okay.

sportyaccordy

Can we get a fucking Ferrari that's lightweight, relatively free of electronic goodies, and nice to look at?  I understand that their target market doesn't give a care about the riving experience, but is one purist model too much to ask for?
Yep, actually it is. Who's gonna buy it? People barely bought stickshift F430s.

The 458 isn't the prettiest Ferrari ever, but there's a strong case for it being the best, even with its tech.

That purist stuff might resonate with posters on message boards, but ultimately the actual market for these cars, ranging from long time enthusiasts to useless playboys to actual road racing teams prefer tech to no tech. So for cars on the level of something like an F430, there has to be a value in it that a wide range of people can appreciate.

Besides, there are always the old cars. You want purity, buy a Miata, or if you have money, an F355 (relatively speaking, they're not that expensive).

Minpin

Really. Who wants to blow 400k on a "purist" car that breaks down every 500 miles?

Defend your position here, Submariner. I'd love to see your argument.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

the Teuton

Remember, too, that on the new market, unless you've given Luca di Montezemolo quite possibly the best sexual favor of his life, chances are you'll probably have about a $100,000 premium over MSRP to pay on the car, as well as a wait as long as a year to get one.

Laconian

commas!

All that makes it even more exclusive and appealing! Where do I sign?

SVT_Power

Quote from: Laconian on January 28, 2010, 10:17:31 AM
Hybrid... stigma?

Well you probably don't care about stigmas since you drive a miata. Oh wait. 

:devil:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

MrH

The Italia 438 is just about 3,000 lbs dry.  I think it's good to look at.  It'll hand nearly everything out there its ass on the track.  Quit bitching.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on January 28, 2010, 11:16:03 PM
The Italia 438 is just about 3,000 lbs dry.  I think it's good to look at.  It'll hand nearly everything out there its ass on the track.  Quit bitching.

You talk like an engineer.  

That's not a compliment.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=21157.msg1255389#msg1255389 date=1264775164

That's not a compliment.

It never is.

MrH

Quote from: the Teuton on January 28, 2010, 10:07:16 AM
I didn't watch the video, but KERS is Kinetic Energy Regeneration System. It's what most F1 cars use these days -- more or less like any other hybrid, but usually used only for short bursts of acceleration.

Just to add in on KERS, a lot of them use a flywheel to store energy instead of a battery.  Pretty cool technology.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV