If you had to drive one marque for the rest of your life...

Started by nickdrinkwater, January 30, 2010, 05:15:22 AM

ChrisV

Quote from: 93JC on January 30, 2010, 03:04:57 PM
Both impractical and expensive. Impractical because they're expensive. Yes, hypothetically you could buy one of the SUVs and tow around a trailer if you needed to haul something, but it's preposterously silly. You wouldn't ever dare take one offroad because it would cost an arm and a leg to fix anything. You wouldn't want kids to go near them for fear of wrecking the interior.

I guess it's just a product of my lifestyle: I don't think I'd ever buy a luxury car, let alone own one for the rest of my life. And it's a little hard to fathom a lifestyle which would accommodate that.

Hmm. I guess I shouldn't have bought a used luxury car or luxury SUV. Considering that neither one cost as much as a new economy car, however...

And I use my luxury SUV to tow trailers and go offroad... Hmmm. I guess I'm just "preposterously silly..."  :rolleyes:
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Onslaught

I've only ever owned Mazda's before but this still isn't an easy pick for me. For one I'd like to have a pickup truck for work one of these days and they don't make one. And buying a B2000, 2200 or 2600 would mean I'm buying a truck almost old enough to drink legally. I also know that most Mazda dealerships suck ass. I never had to deal with that before because I had a hook up with my local one. But it's gone under and now I've got to deal with the only one still around and I'll just be a normal customer to treat like crap. Well see how it works out before I make my judgment on them.

I'm also not a fan of the face on their now cars. Hopefully by the next time I need a new car that will be long gone.

Rupert

It would have to be a company that made or makes good trucks, SUVs and sports cars. That rules out the Europeans.

Mazda: Miata, RX7, RX8, old B-series trucks, some cool things like the Cosmo.
Toyota: 4Runner, Tacoma/truck, Tundra, Land Cruisers, Celica, Supra, MR2, tons of non-U.S. market cars, etc.
Nissan: decent pick-ups, Pathfinder, X-Terra, Patrol, Z-cars, 240SX, cool old cars like the 510.
Ford: lots of cool old cars and trucks, F-series, Ranger, Explorer ( :lol: ), SHO, Mustang, GT40, yadda yadda.
Chevy: lots of cool old cars and trucks, Silverado/C10 and heavy duty versions, Blazer, S10, Corvette, Camaro, yadda yadda.
Dodge: lots of cool old cars and trucks, Viper, Ram, Durango, Dakota.

Those are pretty much the options, I think. Of those, I think I'd go with Mazda.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: Onslaught on January 30, 2010, 04:01:48 PM
I've only ever owned Mazda's before but this still isn't an easy pick for me. For one I'd like to have a pickup truck for work one of these days and they don't make one. And buying a B2000, 2200 or 2600 would mean I'm buying a truck almost old enough to drink legally. I also know that most Mazda dealerships suck ass. I never had to deal with that before because I had a hook up with my local one. But it's gone under and now I've got to deal with the only one still around and I'll just be a normal customer to treat like crap. Well see how
it works out before I make my judgment on them.

I'm also not a fan of the face on their now cars. Hopefully by the next time I need a new car that will be long gone.

I bet the Ranger re-badges count as Mazda B-series.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Onslaught

The Pirate

Quote from: Onslaught on January 30, 2010, 04:01:48 PM
I've only ever owned Mazda's before but this still isn't an easy pick for me. For one I'd like to have a pickup truck for work one of these days and they don't make one. And buying a B2000, 2200 or 2600 would mean I'm buying a truck almost old enough to drink legally. I also know that most Mazda dealerships suck ass. I never had to deal with that before because I had a hook up with my local one. But it's gone under and now I've got to deal with the only one still around and I'll just be a normal customer to treat like crap. Well see how it works out before I make my judgment on them.

Why is this?  I'm seriously unimpressed with both of the Mazda dealerships in this area, for both sales and service.  At this point, I try to avoid them, but some things I just can't get at NAPA (parking brake cable, for example).  It's certainly going to influence what I buy next (which is a shame, 'cause I'd totally rock a last gen Mazda6 or a last gen Mazdaspeed3). 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

The Pirate

Quote from: Onslaught on January 30, 2010, 04:25:00 PM
Not a fan.  Happy they dumped them.

Crappy vehicles to do bodywork on?  My dad's B4000 has proven to be a remarkably reliable vehicle.  My Ranger was pretty reliable too, and easy enough to do mechanical work on.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Rupert

I liked my Ranger, but it's definitely a crappy American mini truck. :huh:

The Mazda dealer I used to go to in Eugene, OR was fine. I wasn't as impressed as I am with Boise's Ford dealer, but I didn't have any problems with them.

93JC

Quote from: ChrisV on January 30, 2010, 03:38:13 PM
Hmm. I guess I shouldn't have bought a used luxury car or luxury SUV. Considering that neither one cost as much as a new economy car, however...

And I use my luxury SUV to tow trailers and go offroad... Hmmm. I guess I'm just "preposterously silly..."  :rolleyes:

Go fuck yourself, Chris.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 93JC on January 30, 2010, 03:04:57 PM
Both impractical and expensive. Impractical because they're expensive. Yes, hypothetically you could buy one of the SUVs and tow around a trailer if you needed to haul something, but it's preposterously silly. You wouldn't ever dare take one offroad because it would cost an arm and a leg to fix anything. You wouldn't want kids to go near them for fear of wrecking the interior.

I guess it's just a product of my lifestyle: I don't think I'd ever buy a luxury car, let alone own one for the rest of my life. And it's a little hard to fathom a lifestyle which would accommodate that.

If money is no object, then expensive repairs ain't no big deal, yo. My first thought was Mercedes. Everything from the classic 600's and pagoda SL's to the G-wagen would suit me just fine :mrcool:

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 07:25:31 AM
Porsche. Easiest question ever.

Ding Ding, my first thought exactly.

Supercar performance with everyday appeal.

The 911, the 911 turbo, trackday toys like the GT3 even with a new king of super sedans and a SUV for the wife.

SVT_Power

Quote from: CALL_911 on January 30, 2010, 07:25:31 AM
Porsche. Easiest question ever.

I dunno about easiest, but definitely porsche for me as well.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

hotrodalex

I think I would go with Ford. See ChrisV's post for my reason.

Onslaught

Quote from: The Pirate on January 30, 2010, 09:04:40 PM
Why is this?  I'm seriously unimpressed with both of the Mazda dealerships in this area, for both sales and service.  At this point, I try to avoid them, but some things I just can't get at NAPA (parking brake cable, for example).  It's certainly going to influence what I buy next (which is a shame, 'cause I'd totally rock a last gen Mazda6 or a last gen Mazdaspeed3). 
I don't know. But you hear it from so many people that it just must be true. I hear the one I'm going to go to now is nice and I hope that it's true. The one that my last employer owned was a joke. But I knew one really good guy in the parts department and the main tech who was really good. So I never had to deal with anyone at that place other than them if I needed something. So having a Mazda was no problem for me. You would think that
being a small manufacture that having great customer services would be something Mazda would want all their dealerships to have. I just don't get it.

Quote from: The Pirate on January 30, 2010, 09:06:26 PM
Crappy vehicles to do bodywork on?  My dad's B4000 has proven to be a remarkably reliable vehicle.  My Ranger was pretty reliable too, and easy enough to do mechanical work on.
Yes. It's one of my top 5 things I hate working on. I want them to die and go away already!  And my family had 2 BULLETPROOF B2000 trucks for over 20 years and I always liked them more. I could never grow to accept a Ford truck with a Mazda sticker on it.

Raza

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 30, 2010, 10:52:39 AM
Easier now that they make the Cayenne and Panamera, less easy before that.

911s have surprisingly big boots.

But yes, I'll take Porsche as well.  911, 911, 911, Boxster, Cayenne GTS, Panamera, 911, and 911.  Sounds like quite a garage to me.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

I was going to pick Porsche but wanted to be realistic. I can't afford anything other than a Boxster or base Cayman right now. And then the upkeep and insurance on these cars cost more than normal cars.
I'll also need something that can hold more than two people sometimes and Porsche makes nothing that I could buy or would want to buy that can do that.

So while Porsche is one of my favorite all time manufactures, and the  911 and Cayman S are some of my favorite cars out today I can't pick them for this post.

Raza

Quote from: Onslaught on January 31, 2010, 06:45:11 AM
I was going to pick Porsche but wanted to be realistic. I can't afford anything other than a Boxster or base Cayman right now. And then the upkeep and insurance on these cars cost more than normal cars.
I'll also need something that can hold more than two people sometimes and Porsche makes nothing that I could buy or would want to buy that can do that.

So while Porsche is one of my favorite all time manufactures, and the  911 and Cayman S are some of my favorite cars out today I can't pick them for this post.

I'd put money on a Boxster or 911 being cheaper to insure than your RX-8. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Bimmer,

BMW has enough engines and chassis' for me to make a supercar, like that incredible V10 E30 M3. Something like a turbo + rollcaged E30 with an E36 M3 engine would be more than enough for me.

Atomic

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 30, 2010, 10:53:47 AM
Good choice.  I never would have thought of Ford because I'm not used to Mustangs and I always forget that the GT is a Ford, as stupid as that will sound.

hmm... i completely forgot about the gt, as well. btw, how long will production last? i recall fmc stating that only a very few will be made.

SVT666

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Rupert

Quote from: Onslaught on January 31, 2010, 06:18:20 AM

Yes. It's one of my top 5 things I hate working on. I want them to die and go away already!  And my family had 2 BULLETPROOF B2000 trucks for over 20 years and I always liked them more. I could never grow to accept a Ford truck with a Mazda sticker on it.

What are the other four?

Xer0

Mercedes.  They have a car for just about every occasion and their current product mix is pretty damn good, imo.

r0tor

1 - Porsche .... Panamera, Cayman, Cayenne GTS, 911 GT3
2 - Audi ..... A8, TT-RS, Q7 V12 diesel, R8

porsche only gets it because of the option of having rwd...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Laconian

Quote from: SVT666 on January 31, 2010, 05:52:58 PM
I saw a Panamera yesterday.  Looks really bloated.
I saw one take a corner at an intersection and I thought it looked good... from the front. Once it went into profile it was nasty. And then from the rear... :facepalm:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT_Power

Saw one for the second time when I was in manhattan over the weekend. Still looked awkward and terrible
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

MrH

I think it looks great.  Much better in darker colors.  It's definitely really wide and low in person.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV